Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 09:23 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,506,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlroadster View Post
This is a common misconception of people driving luxury cars. Sure, a Honda or Hyundai will get you to the same places a Mercedes or BMW will, but sit inside one and you'll see where REAL engineering and quality lies. And any REAL performance car enthusiast will take their car past 140mph...on the track.
I am not against luxury cars but why buy it if you can't afford it with cash?
Speeding is dangerous at any track.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:25 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,409,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
A very interesting topic. Last week it was pouring rain & my husband & I were running errands. We decided to stop into our local restaurant/bar for a burger. The bartender who we know personally was waiting of a table of 6, dressed to the nines in all designer clothes, bags & shoes. Their bill for lunch came to $400 & they pulled out Wic cards & Foods Stamps to try and pay the bill. When the Manager came back & told them they could not do that they pulled out a bunch of $100 dollar bills put 4 down and did not leave a tip. How do they pay for all these things, I don't know!
...that tip should have been $100! poor bartender..that is NOT right!

Old 05-07-2012, 11:19 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,653,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
You don't know that she is actually going to buy a real bag vs a knock-off and just wants her friends to think she has the money.

I have been an LV customer since the 80s and am a knowlegeable authenticator and trust me most of the LV you are seeing is cheesy "replicas" grosssssss

Old 05-08-2012, 12:55 AM

60 posts, read 203,514 times
Quote:
A very interesting topic. Last week it was pouring rain & my husband & I were running errands. We decided to stop into our local restaurant/bar for a burger. The bartender who we know personally was waiting of a table of 6, dressed to the nines in all designer clothes, bags & shoes. Their bill for lunch came to $400 & they pulled out Wic cards & Foods Stamps to try and pay the bill. When the Manager came back & told them they could not do that they pulled out a bunch of $100 dollar bills put 4 down and did not leave a tip. How do they pay for all these things, I don't know!
I'm sorry I just do not believe this one

Old 05-08-2012, 07:39 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,780,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOReverxpeace View Post
Because people are extravagant these days, especially the lower income classes. They idolize those who have a luxurious lifestyle and want to be a part of that "culture".
If you can't be rich, at least you can pretend to look like it. Unfortunately with this attitude you will NEVER be rich. Building wealth often requires sacrifices working overtime, living frugally, I firmly believe anyone can retire a millionaire if they manage there money wisely over then life. Even minimum wage earners. If you earn minimum wage, were to save 5% of your income in a 401k from the time your 18, even without an employer match, you have 1 million dollars in 50 years when you retire. (assuming a 5% raise a year).

Old 05-08-2012, 02:03 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,026,719 times
Quote:
A million years ago when I was a starving young college student, I saw something I will never forget. I was at the grocery store buying things like bologna, PB, beans, and rice. It was all I could afford. The woman in front of me had a cart full of yummy stuff like steak. I thought it must be nice to be able to shop like that. Well, she paid with food stamps and she was quite upset they would not buy dog food. She had the clerk put the dog food back and got steak for her dog.

Because she had so much and I had so little, she was still loading stuff in a brand new Lincoln Town Car when I left the store. Of course, I don't know if she owned the car. I put my bag in the front seat of my little clunker and drove away ruminating on the injustices of life.

And just so it goes along with this thread.... She and her son were dressed very well. I remember being shocked when she paid with food stamps.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:22 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,722,336 times
Maybe because some "low income people" are tired of wearing second hand, generic clothing and feel like even buying one expensive item will give anyone a morale boost.

I have seen this a lot in my classroom and I totally understand.
Parents who make little to no income often save and spend what they have on more expensive, designer clothing just to make their children look similar to the other children (and I agree!). This also applies to adults.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:35 PM

467 posts, read 664,765 times
I don't buy a lot of high end stuff.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:33 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,506,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
If you can't be rich, at least you can pretend to look like it. Unfortunately with this attitude you will NEVER be rich. Building wealth often requires sacrifices working overtime, living frugally, I firmly believe anyone can retire a millionaire if they manage there money wisely over then life. Even minimum wage earners. If you earn minimum wage, were to save 5% of your income in a 401k from the time your 18, even without an employer match, you have 1 million dollars in 50 years when you retire. (assuming a 5% raise a year).
That is true.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:00 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,711,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
I never understood this. Why would a girl who survives paycheck to paycheck and lives in the projects go out and buy a $1200 LV bag? I laugh when I see this. Who do they think they're fooling? I overheard some woman on line at the store the other day talking about how she's going to pay the rent late this month because there's a pair of those red bottom shoes that she wants and they cost $800. The way I see it is, if you cant go to the store and buy them without batting an eyelash or sacrificing bills, then you have no business buying them. Live within your means people.
People are stupid, that's why. Same goes for people who buy cars and houses that they really can't afford. They only "think" they look good, but they look like idiots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty