Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 04:57 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,977,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
This problem is definitely not limited to the "poor" - there are millions of so-called "middle class" families drowning in consumer debt.

When topics like this are posted, I think the underlying issue is that is that on some level, it feels good to judge/criticize those who we perceive to be "lower" than ourselves.

These threads rarely include a thoughtful conversation about trying to understand why people of all income levels desire to have so many consumer products, so many products with designer labels on them, etc. .... if that's what the threads were about, then the motivation would be to increase our understanding, compassion, and empathy toward others.

But since they almost always focus on "the poor" (and leave out the fact that these behaviors can be found in those at all income levels), I believe they reveal that judging someone who we feel is "less than" us feels good on some level - it feeds our delusion that we are somehow "better," that we are "smarter" and "different" than those lowly folks who just make stupid decisions about their money.

JMHO.

For those who truly do want to understand why people make the decisions they make with money, this is a very interesting article on the topic: The Psychological Poverty Trap: The Poor Aren't Less Able, They're Distracted
You're right. Actually, I think the nouveau-riche, who are usually upper-middle class, are the worst offenders.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:09 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,864,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Awful lot of unfounded stereotypes and prejudices in this thread, eh?

Purses and shoes aside, I can understand someone with limited means purchasing fewer pieces of higher-priced quality clothing instead of 10x more pieces of junk from Wal Mart. That makes perfect sense.
My mom has always been the queen of cheap purses, and every couple of months or year she would need to replace her purse.

My aunt (who doesn't care about fashion or shopping at all) was gifted a coach purse in about 1985. She still has the purse now and has been using it daily since then. It looks great.

I used to be like my mom. And then I thought about my aunt and her purse that was 20+ years old and still in use (and all of the purses my mom went through over the years). So sure enough, at my $10 an hour job after college, I decided I was going to splurge on a nicer purse (Via Spiga on clearance at Ross in a very nice leather). I used it daily and still have it now. It looks great, and gets compliments. When I made a little more, I saved up for a Coach purse. It was great, it ended up needing repair after 3 years. I sent it in, and they couldn't fix it so they gave me store credit for the full price of the purse. I realized, it is totally worth it to buy a better purse, no matter how much you make.

(My sister, who makes around 40% less than I do, took my mom's path. She was averaging $200-$300 a year replacing cheap purses, until I told her to upgrade and look for a nicer one on clearance or at the outlets, so she didn't need to replace them so often).

Buying an expensive item makes perfect sense if it lasts longer, and the cost per wear works out.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:12 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,506,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOReverxpeace View Post
Because people are extravagant these days, especially the lower income classes. They idolize those who have a luxurious lifestyle and want to be a part of that "culture". I honestly cannot stand it when I see people wear stuff from head-to-toe, all plastered in brand names. Rich people don't do that. We live in a society where it's not seen as okay to be poor and to look poor, because people will look down on you. Let's face it: no one wants to be look down on but trying to look rich makes you look like a fool even more. I think women are generally materialistic. I love labels, I won't deny it. But I will not skip meals and wear stuff to showcase my extravaganza. You see people even wearing shoes these days that are clearly trying to show how "rich" they are: Tory Burch Reva Flats, Burberry Boots, UGGs.. I mean what the hell?
They got it backwards. To be part of the wealthy, you have to spend less and and invest in more assets. Lol

Either way, it is none of my business so I could care less if they go all broke and end up on the streets because of dumb spendings.

Typically, rich people don't show off and even if they do they are VERY rich and that means even the new BMW looks cheap because off their high wealth. Women like to shop and like to go to salons even if it means going in debt. Same people will complain about not having enough to pay the basic bills. No wonder, the foreclosures are higher then ever.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:00 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,791,994 times
Lack of education. Most people of Urban areas do not know of stocks,cd's, Bonds,etc... however I do not blame it totally on them. Also, many designers do not want urbanites to purchase their product. Oddly as the Hood possess a large hand in propelling most businesses to the pinacle of success.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:31 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,026,719 times
Even when I was really poor, I always had a couple nice outfits with bags and shoes. I'm a shopper. I do find silk and cashmere at thrift stores for almost nothing compared to what they originally cost. I know how to care for them and clean them myself. I also refinish quality bags, like vintage Coach. I buy them for almost nothing. I often refinish and give them away as gifts. The vintage bags are higher quality than what's available now and cosmetic damage is easy to fix.

You can't always judge. I may be carrying a Coach bag, wearing Chanel shoes, and a silk sweater...but my outfit probably cost less than yours and will last 10 times longer. My LBD is an original Tahari but you will never know it cost me $7 because it had a small tear I easily fixed.

All this takes time and effort but it's like a hobby for me. I enjoy the 'hunt'. It's a challenge to me to find ways to get the best for less. I used to just buy the cheap stuff I could afford. I learned how to shop for value when I lost a ton of weight and none of my clothes fit. It also gave me the opportunity to experiment. I had worn the fat girl uniform all my life so I had a lot to learn and I did it without making expensive mistakes.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:36 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,564,935 times
They are Wannabe's? I could never understand what it is regarding the expensive shoes and handbags. Seriously! Who gives a rats behind about an expensive purse?! I would rather have the expensive perfume.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:00 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,409,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Even when I was really poor, I always had a couple nice outfits with bags and shoes. I'm a shopper. I do find silk and cashmere at thrift stores for almost nothing compared to what they originally cost. I know how to care for them and clean them myself. I also refinish quality bags, like vintage Coach. I buy them for almost nothing. I often refinish and give them away as gifts. The vintage bags are higher quality than what's available now and cosmetic damage is easy to fix.

You can't always judge. I may be carrying a Coach bag, wearing Chanel shoes, and a silk sweater...but my outfit probably cost less than yours and will last 10 times longer. My LBD is an original Tahari but you will never know it cost me $7 because it had a small tear I easily fixed.

All this takes time and effort but it's like a hobby for me. I enjoy the 'hunt'. It's a challenge to me to find ways to get the best for less. I used to just buy the cheap stuff I could afford. I learned how to shop for value when I lost a ton of weight and none of my clothes fit. It also gave me the opportunity to experiment. I had worn the fat girl uniform all my life so I had a lot to learn and I did it without making expensive mistakes.
Precisely why I need to take a sewing/tailoring class! I always turn away nice stuff with minor problems because I don't know how to sew .

Old 05-07-2012, 07:11 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,246,472 times
A very interesting topic. Last week it was pouring rain & my husband & I were running errands. We decided to stop into our local restaurant/bar for a burger. The bartender who we know personally was waiting of a table of 6, dressed to the nines in all designer clothes, bags & shoes. Their bill for lunch came to $400 & they pulled out Wic cards & Foods Stamps to try and pay the bill. When the Manager came back & told them they could not do that they pulled out a bunch of $100 dollar bills put 4 down and did not leave a tip. How do they pay for all these things, I don't know!

Old 05-07-2012, 07:29 PM

88,546 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
Actually it think it's, "More money then Sense". The same argument can be applied to just about anything luxury. Why do people buy a Mercedes or BMW when a Honda or Hyundai work just as well and are a lot cheaper. Are the better on Fuel? NO Do they last longer? No Are they bigger/more comfortable? Marginally Are they faster? Yes,buy current highway laws really prevent someone from taking advantage of that speed/power, you can't legally go 140 mph on the freeway just because your car is capable of doing so.

So in essence it boils down to a status thing, HEY look at me I can AFFORD to drive an over priced car!
I agree 100%. I do not understand at all why some people buy the cars they do when a cheaper one gets you to the same place.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:32 PM

88,546 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Awful lot of unfounded stereotypes and prejudices in this thread, eh?

Purses and shoes aside, I can understand someone with limited means purchasing fewer pieces of higher-priced quality clothing instead of 10x more pieces of junk from Wal Mart. That makes perfect sense.
I can, too, but NO purse is worth $1200. None. Anywhere on the planet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty