Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2012, 04:15 PM

737 posts, read 1,149,194 times

Advertisements

The rich I know do not wear watches. The wannabes seem to have nice ones.

The rich I know and the billionaire I see around drive normal, average cars and pick ups. 7 or 8 years old.

They all shop at Walmart at one time or another.

No tats. I doubt if their employees have any.

If there is a benefit banquet you will notice them from among the other people there. I think it is more the way they act than the way they dress. Mostly they are homebodies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 04:33 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
A few years back I had the pleasure of working with an upperclass woman. She fell on hard times and was a coworker of mine in a white collar work environment. Notice I said upperclass. Being rich is not the same as being upper class.

I asked about what sets the upperclass apart fashoinwise. She told me that it doesn't matter what sort of clothes you wear, but... for a man it does matter what sort of watch, belt and shoes you have on. In other words a $1000 suit doesn't work with a $500 watch and $200 shoes when you walk into a high end restaurant. Levis, dress shirt and $1500 cowboy boots, with a $5000 watch--you're good to go.

For a woman, its the accessories more than the clothes.
Except the faux watches cannot be discerned at a glance.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:36 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,508,595 times
I thought the rich care about time? You know billionaires? There are only like 1,000 on the planet, Wow. Even if the billionaire bought a new luxury car for $250,000, he/she still would be frugal.

Describe homebodies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodipper View Post

The rich I know and the billionaire I see around drive normal, average cars and pick ups. 7 or 8 years old.

If there is a benefit banquet you will notice them from among the other people there. I think it is more the way they act than the way they dress. Mostly they are homebodies.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:39 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,515 times
Quote:

You must not know many rich people.

I spent time in the tech start-up world in silicon valley and the wealthy people there wore expensive clothes, drove the best cars, and enjoyed their lives. I agree that many of these people don't live as lavish as many people think they do, but they still live lavish lives.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
You must not know many rich people.

I spent time in the tech start-up world in silicon valley and the wealthy people there wore expensive clothes, drove the best cars, and enjoyed their lives. I agree that many of these people don't live as lavish as many people think they do, but they still live lavish lives.
San Jose, CA right?

How do you know they were wealthy?

Old 05-04-2012, 09:46 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,701,216 times
Quote:

I would agree that you must not know a whole lot of high net-worth individuals. The ones who I know, for a fact, have gobs of money usually don't live as lavishly as one would think but they still live WELL. I don't think I know ANY wealthy individuals who make a habit of shopping at Walmart and I don't blame them. All of them wear watches, not necessarily expensive ones, but they all are very timely individuals. Some have tats, some don't. None are usually visible though. Most drive nice vehicles ranging from new pickup trucks to Cadillac's and a few drive more exclusive nameplates (Maserati, Ferrari, Bentley, etc).

Old 05-04-2012, 09:50 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
San Jose, CA right?

How do you know they were wealthy?

Because I worked for them and they were CEO's, CTO's, and COO's at some important technology companies. I'm pretty sure they had a nice salary.

My current employer (another tech start-up), has a 10 million dollar house ( he has another million dollar house in the mountains, but I haven't seen it yet) and has 4 bmw's.

MOST wealthy spend their money and live lavish lives. Just because you knew one or two who didn't, doesn't mean that others don't.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:13 PM

395 posts, read 707,455 times
Rich or successful business people (celebrities) per se usually don't have much free time and they let everyone know via their attire Also they tend to dress more unique.

While others try to let you know their religious stance as an expression of their fashion sense

Some of them show their patriotism and their hobbies (gold frying pan) in the clothes that they wear

Others like to dress up before the pirates of the carribean preview

I myself could never become rich or successful, because I lack the style sense of the aforementioned trend setters

Old 05-04-2012, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
Because I worked for them and they were CEO's, CTO's, and COO's at some important technology companies. I'm pretty sure they had a nice salary.

My current employer (another tech start-up), has a 10 million dollar house ( he has another million dollar house in the mountains, but I haven't seen it yet) and has 4 bmw's.

MOST wealthy spend their money and live lavish lives. Just because you knew one or two who didn't, doesn't mean that others don't.
Just because someone has a high salary does not mean they are wealthy. They could be earning $500K a year but still be in debt.

Most wealthy live lavish lives? How wealthy are we talking about here?

Old 05-05-2012, 05:44 AM

297 posts, read 740,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Yup so true. All the 6 figure people I know are hanging out over in the "regular" stores: h&m, ann taylor, macy's, occasionally nordstroms, kohl's, target.....

Some of them do have more higher end accessories than others....but no one is sporting Rolexes. Maybe Movado.
Those people know there's something other than Rolex. Panerai, JLC, AP, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty