Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 10:36 AM

297 posts, read 740,709 times

Advertisements

Just curious because I do lots of driving for my job and come across different neighborhoods and envrionments. Whereas one side of town looks like they play golf all day long, the other looks like they've been constructing houses all day long.

Is it just me, or do people who earn more tend to dress differently than those who earn less?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 10:49 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,679,772 times
Of course. Most people live within their means. In general if you have more money, you live in an area that has pricier shopping and higher class stores.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:55 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
It will be interesting to see what others say, but I'd think that's awfully general....but then generalities can be based in truth as long as they're not taken too far.

I make decent money and dress VERY down. WAAY to big jeans (I lost 80 pounds and still ear the same jeans with a belt), plain colored T-shirt from an arts and craft store. Slacks and tops from thrift shops. Shoes others might say are too worn.

The other day I was in a part of town and saw a group of young adults that I even said to myself at the time "They LOOK like they have money." They dressed right out of a dockers/Ralph Lauren Polo ad, and were ready for the Hamptons. (and they were coming out of some expensive store)

Or sometimes I'll see someone -- man or woman -- in a nice suit -- and I'll think, "Damned that suit is nice and looks expensive." But maybe they bought it at a consignment shop. Who knows?

LOOKING like you dress expensively is about fabrics, cut and workmanship.I can't stress that enough. When TV shows or magazines do a "which look costs less" -- those are the things that can give the answer away...fabric, tailoring and workmanship.

Those of us who hang out on the frugal thread will tell there are all kinds of ways to LOOK like you have money when you don't, or look like you spend more on clothes than you really do.

The odds may be with you when you judge a book by its cover...but sometimes you will get burned. Not everyone who has money dresses like it....and I bet MANY people put on a facade and are slaves to brand names. They have clothes and shoes in the closet -- credit card debt -- no savings or retirement account to speak of. It's about what you value.....and priorities.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:07 AM

27,345 posts, read 27,397,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlroadster View Post
Just curious because I do lots of driving for my job and come across different neighborhoods and envrionments. Whereas one side of town looks like they play golf all day long, the other looks like they've been constructing houses all day long.

Is it just me, or do people who earn more tend to dress differently than those who earn less?
In my own observations, I think people who can afford to dress high class will do so. Name brand clothes, jewelery, top of the line shoes, etc. Not to impune them, they can afford it, so its good, nothing wrong with that.
When I lived in the Scottsdale area I noticed a lot of 'higher end' styles everywhere, in dressing. I worked as a truck driver then so it was always jeans and tank tops for me. No matter how much I make, cant envision myself dressing ritzy and classy. A nice top goes well with jeans or a gypsy skirt anytime anywhere. Just my 2c.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:09 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Depends on where you live as well. For example it is well noted that Silicon Valley executives dress down. Think jeans, khakis, polo shirts, t-shirts. The shoes differ based on age range: keen sandals or hip tennis shoes.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:11 AM

8 posts, read 13,237 times
Quote:

Yes and no. Sometimes you can tell a persons paygrade by their apparel but sometimes not. My husband makes very good money and has a good job but is required to wear a uniform, due to the type of work environment he is in. He will get snubbed by the bank tellers, who are wearing nice looking suits, but are making minimum wage or barely above that. He has also been snubbed by other businessmen. So, you cant always judge a book by its cover.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:12 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,699,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsin woman View Post

When I lived in the Scottsdale area I noticed a lot of 'higher end' styles everywhere, in dressing. I worked as a truck driver then so it was always jeans and tank tops for me. No matter how much I make, cant envision myself dressing ritzy and classy. A nice top goes well with jeans or a gypsy skirt anytime anywhere. Just my 2c.
That's true, I see it everyday and I guess after living here for 13 years, I hardly notice what people are wearing anymore.

Generally speaking, judging someone by their clothing is a big mistake especially judging a male. In my opinion, it's much easier to judge how much a man is making by how well his WIFE dresses. The best example in the world is my boss and his wife: My boss is a half-balding male in his 50's who makes north of $200K/ year and is an all-around great guy to boot. He dresses VERY plainly unless he absolutely NEEDS to wear a suit for a meeting with the executives. His normal work attire consists of Wrangler jeans and a plaid or striped button-up shirt or in the summertime, a pair of khaki shorts and a lightweight t-shirt. His WIFE, on the other hand, goes shopping at all the exclusive stores and is dressed in very nice clothing from Gucci, Versace, etc. One of her outfits probably costs what I make in a couple weeks!

Most middle aged and older men don't usually care about brand name clothing all that much. They purchase what they're comfortable in, not what the fashion world says is "in" for that season. Younger guys in their 20's are usually the ones who will buy expensive clothing that takes their entire paycheck (thankfully I never entered that stage).

Old 05-01-2012, 12:24 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,466,505 times
Quote:

Not at all.

I know all sorts of people and some of the poorest are the best dressed and the two millionaires I know are both Jeans/T-shirts 90% of the time. One even does his own yard work.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:26 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,466,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
That's true, I see it everyday and I guess after living here for 13 years, I hardly notice what people are wearing anymore.

Generally speaking, judging someone by their clothing is a big mistake especially judging a male. In my opinion, it's much easier to judge how much a man is making by how well his WIFE dresses. The best example in the world is my boss and his wife: My boss is a half-balding male in his 50's who makes north of $200K/ year and is an all-around great guy to boot. He dresses VERY plainly unless he absolutely NEEDS to wear a suit for a meeting with the executives. His normal work attire consists of Wrangler jeans and a plaid or striped button-up shirt or in the summertime, a pair of khaki shorts and a lightweight t-shirt. His WIFE, on the other hand, goes shopping at all the exclusive stores and is dressed in very nice clothing from Gucci, Versace, etc. One of her outfits probably costs what I make in a couple weeks!

Most middle aged and older men don't usually care about brand name clothing all that much. They purchase what they're comfortable in, not what the fashion world says is "in" for that season. Younger guys in their 20's are usually the ones who will buy expensive clothing that takes their entire paycheck (thankfully I never entered that stage).
Very true.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:34 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
my wife is always noticing what clothing brands other women wear and assuming they are better off financially if they have more expensive brands. that can be offset sometimes my other factors that give them away as overextending themselves on certain items (fancy purse, crappy car). so my wife would definitely say yes to this question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty