Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 04:51 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,312,864 times

Advertisements

I did a search and found two threads, 2009 and 2010, just considering it. No threads on who had had it done or recent threads.
I have been putting it off for years and years because I want to lose weight first. But I don;t know if I'm ever going to lose weight.
I'm 55 so I was hoping someone who was older had had the surgery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 12:38 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,773,412 times
I think it would be better to spend that money on a dietician than surgery. I don't know what your weight is but if you are of health risk weight and also have age against you I would not advise to get put under unless its a life threatening situation.

Why would you assume you will never lose weight? What have you tried and stuck to consistently?

Old 04-11-2012, 01:25 PM

16,074 posts, read 28,729,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I did a search and found two threads, 2009 and 2010, just considering it. No threads on who had had it done or recent threads.
I have been putting it off for years and years because I want to lose weight first. But I don;t know if I'm ever going to lose weight.
I'm 55 so I was hoping someone who was older had had the surgery.
I know where you're coming from. I'm a bit over weight, trying to lose, but the grooves in my shoulders from the heavy weights make me want to do something as well.

Ever tried South Beach diet?

Oh...BTW...I do know someone who had a reduction a few months back...went fine, shes happy with the results.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:44 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,312,864 times
Ok, so no one here has had it done.

FYI - it is the surgery that has the highest satisfaction rate.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Ok, so no one here has had it done.

FYI - it is the surgery that has the highest satisfaction rate.

All surgery carries a risk of death and massive infection. Its a little silly you would pick that over changing what you eat.

I had ones my weak back couldn't handle. Diet and exercise changed that.
In a way I have had it done. I just didn't pay a doctor to chop my flesh out.
Lost body fat and gained strength. Same results without scars.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:28 PM

4,097 posts, read 2,206,898 times
My friend recently had one at 45. She is quite pleased with it and said even the recovery wasn't too bad. She's just a little overweight. The operation definitely made for a slimming appearance.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:39 PM

28,226 posts, read 37,133,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
I think it would be better to spend that money on a dietician than surgery. I don't know what your weight is but if you are of health risk weight and also have age against you I would not advise to get put under unless its a life threatening situation.

Why would you assume you will never lose weight? What have you tried and stuck to consistently?
I have 2 friends who had reductions 5-8 years ago. Each person maybe had 20-30 pounds to lose or so if they really wanted. One of them had lost 40 pounds before I met her (and undergoing the surgery). She lost 1 cup size.

After getting the breast reduction, it was infinitely easier to stick to their exercise plans, since the breasts were no longer causing pain and annoyance.

Usually women who are naturally well-endowed do not lose much from their breasts, even when they lose weight, and the size makes it difficult to workout (and find sports bras). People who only gained large breasts with weight gain should focus on diet and exercise (i.e. if you gainined 40 pounds and went from a B to an F, you could probably lose weight and make a difference. If you gained the same 40 pounds and went from a 34F to a 40F, then a breast reduction is probably the right path.)

Old 04-11-2012, 02:41 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,678,897 times
I had one at 40 and would do it again. Went from DD+ to C.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:57 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,086,954 times
I would talk to several doctors and then have it done. Very large breasts can cause all sorts of physical problems. And, it will allow you to move easier, making any weight reduction easier on you!

Old 04-11-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I have 2 friends who had reductions 5-8 years ago. Each person maybe had 20-30 pounds to lose or so if they really wanted. One of them had lost 40 pounds before I met her (and undergoing the surgery). She lost 1 cup size.

After getting the breast reduction, it was infinitely easier to stick to their exercise plans, since the breasts were no longer causing pain and annoyance.

Usually women who are naturally well-endowed do not lose much from their breasts, even when they lose weight, and the size makes it difficult to workout (and find sports bras). People who only gained large breasts with weight gain should focus on diet and exercise (i.e. if you gainined 40 pounds and went from a B to an F, you could probably lose weight and make a difference. If you gained the same 40 pounds and went from a 34F to a 40F, then a breast reduction is probably the right path.)

While I will agree that smaller chest = easier movement, exercise is not required to lose weight. I maybe lost 1/2 a cup size but my band size went down by over 4 inches. Then I started working out and gained back that half cup in muscle under the actual tissue. My back got stronger along the way and my stronger frame was able to support the natural volume at my healthy weight. Its not just about the fat loss but the muscular strength gained too. A 34F is smaller than a 40F.

Any plastic work looks better on a fit body and heals much more nicely on a healthy body.

So all I am saying is hit up the natural way first before going under the knife. But since the OP won't even say what they did to try to lose weight... Just trying to save someone the costs and risks of surgery. One should be eating healthy anyway. I don't comprehend wanting to go under risk of death and continuing eating unhealthy for whatever reasons. External aside if affects your health internally.

Technically I would still be covered by insurance for size issues if I had back pain from it. I think anyone who is a healthy weight and fit with large breasts can have that need. But someone who is overweight and unfit needs to address those situations first and then if its still a problem, look into surgery. But there are plenty of doctors out there that don't care and would gladly take the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty