Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 02:48 PM

20,779 posts, read 20,138,344 times

Advertisements

Ugliest boots ever
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 04:38 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,407,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Would someone explain why this type of boot is *ugly*???
Ugliness, just like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

Personally I don't find UGGS ugly or beautiful - they're just boots!

Old 02-04-2012, 12:29 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,711,974 times
I have been wearing them since 1988. I have tall and short pairs. They can be warm but when working in the snow I wear Cabella's kangaroo leather insulated boots. I have a couple pairs of Sorels as well.

Ugg's can be useful if I do not need to walk much in them. On a dive boat they are handy as I can put them on when wet.

Old 02-04-2012, 01:06 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,427,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
I have been wearing them since 1988. I have tall and short pairs. They can be warm but when working in the snow I wear Cabella's kangaroo leather insulated boots. I have a couple pairs of Sorels as well.

Ugg's can be useful if I do not need to walk much in them. On a dive boat they are handy as I can put them on when wet.
I am both an avid diver and snow sport lover and never considered wearing UGGS. I just cannot see where UGGS would fit in. For cold snow activities, I agree with you on the Cabellas and Sorels (absolutely love Sorels - wore them in Canada as a child) and even LL Bean or Land's End boots. These are all waterproof, well-insulated boots, unlike the UGGS I've seen.

I cannot picture a diver wearing UGGS on a dive boat. Is that common in CA? They are not waterproof and have a flat tread which seems like it would be slippery when wet - not good on a boat. It seems difficult to dry the inside fur of the boot since there is no removable liner. That means they could stink after awhile. I wear quick dry neoprene dive shoes/boots on dive boats.

Maybe you know of some types of UGGS that are made specifically for water/snow sports? I just have not seen them.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:57 PM

37,199 posts, read 42,441,471 times
I see them on all sorts of people in the Bay Area. I don't think they are worn for "fashion statement" but just as something people are used to and like wearing to run around it. I don't pay attention to peoples boots or shoes too much though. I've seen them around for at least 10 yrs.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:08 PM

541 posts, read 864,615 times
I stopped wearing UGGS a couple of years ago after the fad died out. I was glad it was over because mine were uncomfortable and too low/clunky to walk properly in.

Most people where I'm at are wearing knee high boots with pants tucked in them which I prefer as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
They are not waterproof and have a flat tread which seems like it would be slippery when wet - not good on a boat.
Yes, they can be very slippery, especially on ice.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:34 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,469,550 times
My 13-year old daughter wears them, and I think they look fashionable on her. I personally find them to be hideous on all but young girls.

This is one trend that I wish would disappear, along with the excessive use of the words "like", "OMG", and "cool."

Old 02-04-2012, 10:14 PM

1,445 posts, read 4,614,841 times
Why do so many people in the fashion forum think they are ugly? I have seen many fashion articles that too say they are one of the ugliest fashion trends of our time. Why do so many people say that? They look just like snow boots. Are snow boots ugly? I do not think so. Boots in general are not ugly...but why do people feel that way about uggs? As for the age of the wearer...As long as the woman isn't over 65, I do not think this matters...that's my opinion. In fact, I think they actually look good on women, including middle age women, because they are almost a sign of a higher socio-economic status. That's just my opinion.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:47 AM

3,079 posts, read 5,528,726 times
I personally love them. Have three pairs.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:01 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,808,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
Why do so many people in the fashion forum think they are ugly? I have seen many fashion articles that too say they are one of the ugliest fashion trends of our time. Why do so many people say that? They look just like snow boots. Are snow boots ugly? I do not think so. Boots in general are not ugly...but why do people feel that way about uggs? As for the age of the wearer...As long as the woman isn't over 65, I do not think this matters...that's my opinion. In fact, I think they actually look good on women, including middle age women, because they are almost a sign of a higher socio-economic status. That's just my opinion.
Would you wear snow boots out shopping on a 50 degree day? Or with a pair of shorts out to run errands? No, snow boots are on the ugly side as well, but that's okay because they're meant to be utilitarian, not a fashion statement.

Uggs, though, are not snow boots. They do not fare well in the snow or any wet environment. What I find particularly unattractive about them is the way they make your feet and ankles look like swollen tree trunks. They make the foot look cartoonish and fat. I also greatly dislike the many, many people who wear them during inappropriate weather. If you're in shorts and a t-shirt, you don't need wool-lined boots on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty