Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 04:12 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,671,804 times

Advertisements

I can't tell unless she had a crappy doctor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 04:37 PM

50,578 posts, read 64,610,488 times
There MIGHT be some women who have had work done which is not obvious. My problem is with women who are...let's say 70 years old who have stretched faces with sinewy hands and crepey necks. I perceive them to be even older than they actually might be.
I'm older, if I had the money I might have a few little tweeks here and there, but I want my face to reflect my life.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:19 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,440,018 times
I haven't been around too many people who have had work done, but I was just at a dermatologist office and the woman who came in with the doctor (not sure exactly what she does except to chaperone) apparently had everything done. I didn't know where to look when she spoke to me and she was very nice. Dressed more for a cocktail party, but it seems that she had so much done that everything was just unnatural looking. If she was a walking advertisement for this doctor, then I am not interested.

I have thought about getting a few nips done here and there, but I want to be able to look at myself and not cringe. That is the best way that I could even explain it to a surgeon.

It just seems to me that the few people that I have met who have had plastic surgery are very noticeable and not in a good way.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:26 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,943,036 times
Let's just say people in Miami and West Palm Beach look a lot different than everyone in the rest of the U.S.

Also as someone who has bartended in strip clubs I can say fake boobs can look natural under clothing as long as they are not really botched but 90% of them look fake when they are naked.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:38 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,754,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illủmiñatex View Post
Can you tell if a woman has had a tuck or other modifications just by looking at her? To me Sometimes body shapes, even under clothing, just dont look right. Combine that with a strange gait, like she was either injured in a car accident or has something permanently inserted into one of her orifices, is a giveaway and seems freakish.

Implants I am sometimes not sure about, until you get a big hug and it feels like two miniature volleyballs are pressed into your chest. Not that I am complaining, of course.

This lady I'm kinda sorta seeing is considering "going in for servicing" and I tell her DONT for the above reasons and how its a slippery slope that sometimes leads to pain killer dependence. Of course I have enough tact not to call it some kind of Hollywood style drug addiction around her.

So am I totally off base here? I think I just prefer natural height weight proportional over some hacked up possession. I am at a point in my life where I am thinking long term. For example a healthy, natural woman with a little makeup and decent clothes is ultimately cheaper to deal with...
You are still thinking of them as a possession. Just a low maintenance one. Plastic surgery is just like makeup. Overdone, poor work and extremes are all obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
One word: Nostrils.

The shape of the opening itself is often an easy way to tell. Look for differences. Mother Nature usually makes them the same. Some plastic surgeons, not so much. (I had this explained to me by a plastic surgeon after a family member was in an accident. I learned WAY too much about nostrils.)
I think you have that backwards. Most natural nostrils are slightly different just like eyebrow shapes.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:19 AM

571 posts, read 1,206,681 times
I know people have strong opinions on plastic surgery. Most members of my extended family have had at least one procedure done. I've opposed plastic surgery on the face just because there's a certain comfort in the way someone that you love looks. (For example, my mom has had a few procedures done and one of her most beautiful features - and one that is a dead-giveaway as to who is related - is her eyes. Her plastic surgery made them look a smaller and different. I can remember her beautiful eyes since I was a tiny kid - I preferred that she not change them.) I realize, of course, that this is selfish and that she should do whatever makes her happy.

We can make the generalized statement that anyone who has plastic surgery is vain and high maintenance (some would even venture to say insecure). That's not the case at all. There are many who do it (just like getting braces) and then forget it was ever done. They don't become "addicted," etc., etc.

As for someone's shape being odd (with lipo here and there) - people come in all shapes and sizes and pick up weight in odd ways. I don't think this is a sure sign of plastic surgery.

It's not as big a deal as we make it out to be.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:47 AM

14,724 posts, read 33,497,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Yes. I'm from L.A.

If you are even half paying attention in that town you learn a LOT about plastic surgery.
Dang, I'm from LA, too, and you and I don't have the best chemistry sometimes. True about being able to spot plastic surgery. The easiest ones are nose jobs and face lifts. The former is when the nasal flares, due to cartilage removal, are way too chiseled for the ethnicity/race at hand. The latter is when there is not much sagging under the jawline and the upper face has a "windswept" look for the age (look 10 years younger and this is a "new" occurrence).

Many middle-class LA kids I grew up with had plastic surgery, with nose jobs leading the list, followed by chin implants and work done on their lips to eliminate the gummy look. One girl had ALL THREE and she is now a successful attorney. Here are some examples of celebs who I am almost sure have had nose jobs (one is black-RIP and the other is Jewish), as in "come on, get real," but let's not knock it, they look better for having the work done:

http://greenobles.com/data_images/do...-summer-04.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...St_john/21.jpg

Old 10-06-2012, 12:46 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,323,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illủmiñatex View Post

So am I totally off base here? I think I just prefer natural height weight proportional over some hacked up possession. I am at a point in my life where I am thinking long term. For example a healthy, natural woman with a little makeup and decent clothes is ultimately cheaper to deal with...

I don't care what anyone says, a good 9 times out of 10 no one can tell if someone's had one or two well done procedures. By the time someone looks enhanced, it's usually because they've done numerous procedures or had a single botched one.

And I feel sorry for you that you choose a lifemate based on how much you think she's going to cost you.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:13 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,671,804 times
My mom had a facelift when she was 55 and she looked pretty and well rested not all taut and scary.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:55 PM

14,724 posts, read 33,497,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8635angelvalley View Post
My mom had a facelift when she was 55 and she looked pretty and well rested not all taut and scary.
That's a good one, then. They are supposed to look natural. However, if someone didn't know your Mom had this surgery, and saw her a month before, and then a month after, this person would say "Hey, you look great, did you go on vacation or something?" The whole point of getting one is to look different, as in younger. I grew up within 10 miles of "Plastic Surgery Central" and it was amazing how candid people were about the work they had done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty