Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would you rather be?
Curvy 84 46.93%
Slim 95 53.07%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 07:06 PM

26,665 posts, read 28,801,481 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: image removed

Betty Grable was slim and curvy. The most popular pinup of the men in WWII.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 10:25 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,680,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

Betty Grable was slim and curvy. The most popular pinup of the men in WWII.
I don't really see Betty Grable as slim and curvy, she's pretty straight up and down.

Veronica Lake on the other hand is what I'd consider slim and curvy

Old 10-19-2012, 11:27 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,349,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
That's not right.
A slim woman looks in proportion. She fits into clothing well. She looks nice in a bathing suit. She looks healthy and a bit athletic. She moves with grace.

Maybe we're imagining different people, but generally a woman with big breasts and a big butt looks lopsided, like an aberration of nature. They are only lumps of fat, after all, and can be removed. They look kind of cheap to me.

I don't think it's just the media. I think slim is the look of health, whereas fat is the look of gluttony and a lack of self control.
Fascinating!

Slim used to be the look of poverty and low breeding.

A bit of cushioning was a sign of wealth and desirability.

The media sell this crap.

Models are typically people with eating disorders. The "look of health" they're selling is false.

I agree that obesity is unhealthy, but unless a woman with large breasts and a round behind is trying to stuff herself into ill-fitting garments, I cannot see why that would look odd.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:21 AM

26,665 posts, read 28,801,481 times

Models are typically people with eating disorders. The "look of health" they're selling is false.

I think so too.They are not slim though. they are skinny. underweight, too thin. I don't think too many people would call THAT healthy.The only people who might think that is healthy or that it looks good are other image deranged models.Slim & curvy is good, not skinny.

Old 10-20-2012, 06:04 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,796,454 times
Quote:

I think so too.They are not slim though. they are skinny. underweight, too thin. I don't think too many people would call THAT healthy.The only people who might think that is healthy or that it looks good are other image deranged models.Slim & curvy is good, not skinny.
And just how many models do you know personally?

Old 10-20-2012, 06:10 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,722,440 times
Quote:
I don't see why you can't be slim and curvy at the same time. I'm not talking about being thin and sickly, but slim and having a good shape. Thin means underweight=not good. Slim means shapely and not any extra weight=good.
You can be, if slim is taken to be good muscle tone, lack of excess fat. A person can, if their build allows for it, maintain a hip-waist-bust ratio that denotes a curvaceous figure and still be in a healthy weight range, without carrying excess weight.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:03 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,428,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Where do you get this stuff? First you have a thread about butt implants and now you ask about curves.

In any event,you do know you can be small and have large breasts,and vice versa.
I also have to tell you curves have nothing to do with large breasts or butt.
What matters most is the waist to hip ratio. Has to be 0.7 or less.
Doesn't matter if you are 110 pounds or 300 pounds,as long as you have the 0.7 ratio you are curvy.

A 51-38-44 isn't curvy at all,that's apple shaped.
A 34-30-46 is a pear,or coke bottle shape. Not considered hourglass,but may be considered curvy depending on who you ask.

In other words,curvy depends on the beholder.
Whoa those are some huge measurements!

Old 10-21-2012, 08:07 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,428,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Gorgeous!

Though, it is disheartening to read some of the 'oh, she'd be hot if she were X amount lighter' and 'wow, she's so fat, yuk!' comments on the sites she's featured on. She's still not considered attractive by most mainstream people, unfortunately.
Her body is fine- i dont think she has a pretty face- most models dont. They are models bc of their bodies, not their faces.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:26 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,425,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Her body is fine- i dont think she has a pretty face- most models dont. They are models bc of their bodies, not their faces.

She does print. I don't believe she's doing much runway work. Her face is definitely an asset!!!

Old 10-21-2012, 09:58 AM

9,019 posts, read 13,880,850 times
I think its the opposite for Kate Upton.
She has pretty face but her body is blah.
She has no curves,which proves my point you can be bigger and still have no curves.
While the lady above in the striped shirt is skinny and curvy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty