Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would you rather be?
Curvy 84 46.93%
Slim 95 53.07%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 09:48 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,856,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Curvy pear.
I agree, those measurements look like a classic pear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 12:10 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,959,902 times
I love being a pear because when I gain weight it's hardly noticeable. My pant/skirt size may fluctuate but my top size is always a solid 4/6.

At Ann Taylor I'm a 2 or 4 in their tops depending on the style but skirts I'm an 8p, pants a 6r.

Old 09-15-2012, 04:05 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,856,068 times
I don't like being a pear. And it is noticeable when I gain weight. I'm only 5ft2 though. I'm a solid 8 right now--I've definitely gained about 5 pounds in the last month due to stupid prednisone. But my goal is to be at a 4/6 in pants. Which means I have about 12-15 pounds that I need to lose.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:59 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,783,307 times
I guess that's one good thing about being tall.... When I gained 60 lbs very quickly a while back due to medication issues I only went up 2 sizes.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:00 PM

245 posts, read 522,713 times
Meh, I'm skinny. Sometimes I hate and wish to change, sometimes I love it. Being skinny is what I'm known for, literally it's something that became my identity. Sad, I know. People either think I look sick and ugly, and some people tell me I should model. I love it. But what would happen if I decided to put meat on my bones, become curvy? Who would recognize me?Would people still tell me I could model? (Pshh yeah, Lane Bryant) People would just say, "She used to be so skinny!" I see it all the time when ladies tell stories about other women. I don't think I can bare to be talked about that way.

Plus, genetic wise I'd end up being apple shaped. >_> Do not like apple shaped, that's not curvy.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:30 AM

4 posts, read 3,839 times
I am slim but lately I've been desiring to be curvy. Nothing like Kim or Beyonce. I guess more slim curvy? haha.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:27 AM

12,406 posts, read 19,087,379 times
I think if you have a perfectly proportioned figure you can afford a few pounds, if you like 'curvy', but most women are not perfectly proportioned. Most women, therefore, look better if they are a bit underweight so that bulky fat is not so noticeable.

Women with money who are 'curvy' have all their clothing either specially made or, if off the rack, severely altered just to suit their bodies, and even then some look not so good.

Hillary Clinton has too much weight on her bottom measurement. I remember, during her race for the presidency, she would be attired in very long jackets that were slightly fitted. I never noticed that she had that problem until someone chose those jackets for her.

Michelle Obama also is big on the bottom. She had an all blue number on for the state dinner with PM Campbell that made her bottom heavy awkwardness so very obvious. The one solid color, instead of making her look slender, drew the eye right to the problem area. She usually dresses so well, too.

Thin women can go shopping and just about anything will look good on them. People with excess lumps of fat on their bodies have a hard time pulling anything off.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:30 AM

25,899 posts, read 42,939,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
You know what's funny, I'm not too far off from your measurements and I doubt most would call me curvy (though I fit my own definition). 28E, 33-24-35.

I'm feeling more pessimistic that curvy to most people truly means chunky and has very little to do with actual curves.
My definition of curvy does not mean chunky, but it does mean more than three measurements or someone's waist-to-hip ratio. The curves from shoulder to wrist and hip to ankle, for instance. Slim women have narrower shoulders and thinner upper arms, and narrower hips and thinner thighs. More straight up and down all over. Waist-hip ratio doesn't indicate whether the woman has curvy calves or shapely arms.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:23 AM

7,507 posts, read 4,428,509 times
Plus-size Vogue cover girl Robyn Lawley is back as she models Boux Avenue's latest range | Mail Online

I am watching ABC news (atm) about this young woman name Ralph Lauren (23) and is considered a "plus-size" model because she wears size 12. I can't tell her measure size but she looks great. I wouldn't consider her a "plus-size" at all. She is 6'2 but didn't mention her weight.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:48 AM

37,409 posts, read 54,014,680 times
I would choose to be a height-appropriate weight, with curves. I've always enjoyed having wide hips and a nipped-in waist, and have grown to enjoy having a round butt (which I hated when I was a preteen-teen because of all the attention it got), and wouldn't want to lose that. So, healthy weight but keep the curves, please. That's my natural build, so it's not a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty