Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 04:14 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,977,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Capris cute? No. Just get yourself some bermuda shorts. Capris, in my opinion, look ridiculous. Why wear something that comes just below your knee? It makes your legs look strange. Bermudas come right to the knee and look much nicer.
+1. In the thread discussing fashion trends you wish would go away, capri pants are the first thing I mention. They do not look flattering on ANYONE, IMO. They make short women look shorter and tall women look like amputees. And if you are a heavy woman, they accentuate your heaviness no matter where it is. Since I'm in Texas and it is hot most of the year, shorts are a must here. I'm almost 40 and I wear longer shorts that come close to the knee, as omigawd suggested. I grabbed some denim ones really cheap at Sears last year and they have become a staple in my wardrobe.

If you really can't stand shorts OP, skirts and dresses are always an option. You can get some really cute sundresses in all colors from Kohl's or Marshalls starting early in the season. I wear long skirts when going out, and it's a nice change from the shorts, shorts, shorts, jeans rut I get into repeatedly. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 06:51 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,020,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
+1. In the thread discussing fashion trends you wish would go away, capri pants are the first thing I mention. They do not look flattering on ANYONE, IMO. They make short women look shorter and tall women look like amputees. And if you are a heavy woman, they accentuate your heaviness no matter where it is. Since I'm in Texas and it is hot most of the year, shorts are a must here. I'm almost 40 and I wear longer shorts that come close to the knee, as omigawd suggested. I grabbed some denim ones really cheap at Sears last year and they have become a staple in my wardrobe.

If you really can't stand shorts OP, skirts and dresses are always an option. You can get some really cute sundresses in all colors from Kohl's or Marshalls starting early in the season. I wear long skirts when going out, and it's a nice change from the shorts, shorts, shorts, jeans rut I get into repeatedly. Good luck!

Actually, bermuda shorts and shorts to the knees are very unflattering to me, as well as to many people. Like people have stated over and over again on this thread, it all depends on the cut of the item and the woman's figure and shape.

Not all capris look good on all people - just like not all knee length shorts look good on all people. As for long skirts, some are fine and I have a few but some also look ridiculous -based on the cut on my figure - and that's the same about any type of clothing.

Personally - being tall and having long legs - short jackets look INCREDIBLY STUPID on me, especially if they also have 3/4 length sleeves and that little detail in the back where the tail of the jacket flares out. OMG. I look like my clothes shrunk or like I'm wearing a jacket my mother bought for me when I was twelve. However, I'm not so shortsighted or opinionated about them that I don't realize that they can look really cute on SOME people. They just don't look good on me.

No style looks good on everyone - not even on people with "perfect" figures.

Regarding your wish that capris would "go away," don't hold your breath. They've been a classic look since the fifties and I don't see them going anywhere.

Old 02-14-2015, 07:30 AM

26,758 posts, read 26,856,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Personally - being tall and having long legs - short jackets look INCREDIBLY STUPID on me, especially if they also have 3/4 length sleeves and that little detail in the back where the tail of the jacket flares out. OMG. I look like my clothes shrunk or like I'm wearing a jacket my mother bought for me when I was twelve.
Yes. I wish this tiny-jacket-fashion would go away.

Old 02-14-2015, 07:35 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,674,183 times
Capris are a great option for women on the shorter side with a low heel, not flats.

I just saw a gardening show and the women were wearing Capri pants with a hiking type of sandal looked awful. I do agree worn this way it did look like, others have stated, either wear shorts or pants.

Old 02-14-2015, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Yes. I wish this tiny-jacket-fashion would go away.

A petite woman can pull off the tiny jacket but that about it !

Old 02-14-2015, 07:58 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,282,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It really depends on the person. They can look great on some women, and they're better than shorts for some people. There really is no single answer to style questions. Wear what is most flattering to you, that suits you.
True.

Mary Tyler Moore in early 60s Dick Van Dyke Show wore Capri pants and she looked very good

Old 02-14-2015, 08:01 AM

17,548 posts, read 39,171,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Actually, bermuda shorts and shorts to the knees are very unflattering to me, as well as to many people. Like people have stated over and over again on this thread, it all depends on the cut of the item and the woman's figure and shape.

Not all capris look good on all people - just like not all knee length shorts look good on all people. As for long skirts, some are fine and I have a few but some also look ridiculous -based on the cut on my figure - and that's the same about any type of clothing.

Personally - being tall and having long legs - short jackets look INCREDIBLY STUPID on me, especially if they also have 3/4 length sleeves and that little detail in the back where the tail of the jacket flares out. OMG. I look like my clothes shrunk or like I'm wearing a jacket my mother bought for me when I was twelve. However, I'm not so shortsighted or opinionated about them that I don't realize that they can look really cute on SOME people. They just don't look good on me.

No style looks good on everyone - not even on people with "perfect" figures.

Regarding your wish that capris would "go away," don't hold your breath. They've been a classic look since the fifties and I don't see them going anywhere.
Preach it, sister! I just don't understand why people can't understand that some things look great on people and not others and vice versa. You and I are built the same and like the same kind of capris, and we both get compliments on them. I will also go so far as to say that whatever top I wear with them will be figure flattering like the capris so my shape will be accented. You and I know and understand our figure types and how to dress them. I hate boxy looking clothing no matter WHAT the style or who is wearing it.

And I HATE bermuda shorts, or shorts in general (on me and on most people, in fact). I only wear shorts of any kind (athletic shorts) when working out.

Old 02-14-2015, 01:18 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,977,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Preach it, sister! I just don't understand why people can't understand that some things look great on people and not others and vice versa. You and I are built the same and like the same kind of capris, and we both get compliments on them. I will also go so far as to say that whatever top I wear with them will be figure flattering like the capris so my shape will be accented. You and I know and understand our figure types and how to dress them. I hate boxy looking clothing no matter WHAT the style or who is wearing it.

And I HATE bermuda shorts, or shorts in general (on me and on most people, in fact). I only wear shorts of any kind (athletic shorts) when working out.
Perhaps, however, I have never seen a woman who rocks capris. As for tall women looking hot in capris, I agree tall women (especially if they are slim) look better in capris than short or fat women, but if a tall slim woman looks much better in something else, why not wear the something else instead? Of course everyone decides what they wear for themselves. As a short, curvaceous, (but definitely not fat) woman, I have one of the worst possible figures for capris. I bought one pair and wore them only once. A long short or short skirt is more flattering on my figure.

Old 02-14-2015, 06:00 PM

I'm now thinking that Capris need to be added to the list of clothing items that people don't like: flip-flops, hip pouches & visors !

Old 02-15-2015, 02:53 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,775,725 times
I subscribe to the "if I like it, I wear it" philosophy.

I like capris, so I wear capris when it is warm/hot out, and shorts are not appropriate. If shorts are appropriate, I wear shorts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty