Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2011, 07:43 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,721,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolshoi View Post
We are on a different level. You are from another generation, I can tell, and that's fine, but you keep saying the same thing. Why shouldn't someone wear what wutang wears if they like them? Now if they just follow a trend and wear it just to be cool then it's fake and no good. If someone really likes it though, let'em.
im 31 years old, im not sure how far apart that puts us generation-wise. but im a husband and a father and i prefer that to be my identity than the music i listen to. it just seems very childish to base your clothing, attitude, how you speak on the music you listen to. but like i have said already, as you mature that is going to change automatically. you are questioning your clothing now, its just a part of your transition into adulthood.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:44 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,102,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
it just seems very childish to base your clothing, attitude, how you speak on the music you listen to. but like i have said already, as you mature that is going to change automatically. you are questioning your clothing now, its just a part of your transition into adulthood.

^^^^This

Last edited by oldschoolChevy; 12-20-2011 at 08:35 AM..

Old 12-20-2011, 07:51 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,102,441 times
I also think that Hip Hop fashion and Urban Fashion are two different things. Hip Hop fashion to me is baggy jeans and hoodies, clothing with logos and designs all over them, and boots and sneakers. Urban Fashion is just a more updated, and classy version of Hip Hop Fashion. Hip Hop clothes can be found at stores like Man Alive, DTLR....Urban clothes can be found at stores like H&M, Bill Halman.....The only common thread between the two is the sneaker culture, which isn't going anywhere. Hip Hop fashion is kinda dated though, thats pretty indicative of early 90's to early 00's, although it will come back Im sure as fashion is very cyclical anyway. Believe or not throwback jerseys are slowly making a comeback, although I hope baggy jeans and 4XL tall tees never come back. That was one of the ugliest styles ever and this is coming from someone who has a 34 inch waist but used to wear sz 40 jeans back in the day. It's just a sloppy look IMO. Unless you're overweight, or trying to conceal something in your pants you have no business wearing it, regardless of your age.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:44 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,395,288 times
Quote:
I don't need help for my cause. MATTA FACT, I help myself. If you are saying you will bump in your boss, then might as well dress in a suit and a tie when you go to a swimming pool or work out, cause he might be there right? lol That's slight paranoia
Sure anything can happen, but you can also die in a car accident tomorrow if we use the same approach, plus I doubt he will fire me even if he does see me just for the clothes. it's not like I got my underwear hanging outside and my pants to the knees, you know. It's whatever.
Take it to the extreme if it makes you feel better, it makes no difference to me.

You're only hurting yourself - your family is trying to help you, we're trying to help you. If you don't want the help, it's no skin off my nose.

Good luck to you.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:12 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,214,097 times
Quote:
Yea, I feel ya. Wu-tang is not even a good example to bring here on part of hip hop haters. Wu is one of the best groups to ever touch the mic. It's not even gangsta rap.
I already said that I will sorta mix it up and not wear oversized stuff so I look my age more and not look too ghetto. I am still keeping the overall style though. People just feel the need to continue this discussion still for some reason lol
I agree. It's like everyone is butthurt over what you've already decided to wear a couple of pages ago. lol

It's not even that serious.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:45 AM

2,664 posts, read 5,637,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im 31 years old, im not sure how far apart that puts us generation-wise. but im a husband and a father and i prefer that to be my identity than the music i listen to. it just seems very childish to base your clothing, attitude, how you speak on the music you listen to. but like i have said already, as you mature that is going to change automatically. you are questioning your clothing now, its just a part of your transition into adulthood.
We just different people then. It's not just about music, its deeper than that, it is part of the identity, but you wouldn't understand cause you can't relate so it's whatever. NWA didn't even dress that ghetto by the way. Dr Dre and Ice Cube don't even wear ghetto stuff now. You should be more open minded regardless of how I dress, you way too biased on this whole hip hop thing.
AND you got it wrong-first came the attitude and then it found correspondence with music, not the other way around, that's why it's part of the identity. Music does affect that identity over the years, just like everything else in life does, but the core was always there. That's why I started listening to it and you didn't-different attitudes from the beginning not from the music. It's not all negative like you make it seem-real quality hip hop teaches life skills.

Last edited by OleSchoolFool; 12-20-2011 at 11:01 AM..

Old 12-20-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
I agree. It's like everyone is butthurt over what you've already decided to wear a couple of pages ago. lol

weeerd

Old 12-20-2011, 01:09 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,721,342 times
Quote:
It's not all negative like you make it seem-real quality hip hop teaches life skills.
what life skills did quality hip hop teach you?

Old 12-20-2011, 02:12 PM

Too much to list and hard to explain on here. Those who listen to it and pay attention know what I mean. For example, since you mentioned NWA, here you go-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwUO_NHAjQA This teaches very important women skills lol

Old 12-20-2011, 04:00 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,573,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post

Yall crazy in here lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty