Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2011, 03:09 PM

28,336 posts, read 16,542,142 times

Advertisements

By black Timberlands do you mean something like this:

Timberland Earthkeepers City Zip Boot Black/Waxed Grey - Zappos.com Free Shipping BOTH Ways

Or are you talking about the work boot looking ones, but black? I would STRONGLY suggest the ones linked above, instead.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:35 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,663,514 times
Timberland The Abington Hiker Black Smooth - Zappos.com Free Shipping BOTH Ways

something like this

Old 12-13-2011, 05:32 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,437,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolshoi View Post
I kinda thought it over, and I am not gonn switch 180 degrees like some people suggested here. Balance is always good so I will be in the middle somewhere. I'll prolly get fitted jeans, normal size sweaters or hoodies and that type of thing. I like timbs, but instead of stereotypical yellow ones that I have, I'll get black ones so they will just look like regular winter shoes. I also need a winter coat so instead of oversized fur, hood type one I will get something more casual. This seems like the only way to go. I will still feel like myself, still look comfortable and stylish,but more mature and not ghetto.
There is nothing "ghetto" about Timberlands or a fur-hooded coat. Stop letting these folks--who likely know nothing about the world, outside of their own bubble and clearly know nothing about fashion--get into your head.

I'd still like to see an example of someone else wearing a style that's similar to yours, so I can help you out.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:04 PM

Well, yellow timbs are pretty hood if you ask me. The reason they got popular-durability, when people in the hood stomped each other out. Timbs were mentioned in every other rap song in the 90s. Fur hooded coat is not ghetto, when it's not too oversized.
Ghostface Killah, the last on the left would accurately describe my usual look (with the white towel and timbs)http://tbohiphop.net/UserFiles/image...les/wutang.jpg

Last edited by OleSchoolFool; 12-13-2011 at 06:13 PM..

Old 12-13-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolshoi View Post
Well, yellow timbs are pretty hood if you ask me. The reason they got popular-durability, when people in the hood stomped each other out. Timbs were mentioned in every other rap song in the 90s. Fur hooded coat is not ghetto, when it's not too oversized.
In years past, that may have been the reason those boots were popular in some urban neighborhoods, but that's no longer the case. If you like them then wear them.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
There is nothing "ghetto" about Timberlands or a fur-hooded coat. Stop letting these folks--who likely know nothing about the world, outside of their own bubble and clearly know nothing about fashion--get into your head.

I'd still like to see an example of someone else wearing a style that's similar to yours, so I can help you out.

This all depends on the boots, coat and what else is being worn, specifically.

My bet is that what the OP wears looks pretty ghetto/hood...

Old 12-14-2011, 08:39 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,426,967 times
I don't think it matters what specific clothing/shoes the OP is wearing - if people in your life who know and care about you are telling you that your "style" is holding you back and causing others to form a negative image - it's time to consider a change. Esp if you want to work in law enforcement.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:54 AM

People who REALLY live in the ghetto do not all adhere to any particular style of dress. Hip-hop dress/culture is not necessarily one in the same with hood dress/culture. BET and other forms of media have really given the wrong perception of how blacks in the inner city really are.

Like I said before, Timbs and fur coats are no longer considered ghetto wear; they're just marks of hip-hop wear, mostly for cats up north, nowadays.

Here Jay-Z is, wearing Timberlands. He wears these things with designer jeans and expensive jackets and jewelry. There's nothing ghetto about that.

http://artistnext.tv/wp-content/uplo...rld_Series.jpg

Here's another guy wearing them.

http://ny.racked.com/uploads/2008_1_cyrus.jpg

Old 12-14-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
People who REALLY live in the ghetto do not all adhere to any particular style of dress.
Really?!?!?! You don't say! C'mon, we're obviously dealing in generalities here, no one is saying that EVERYONE in any location or of any group ALL dress the same.

The point is that the OP's friends and family feel the way he dresses is holding him back in some ways. Let's not stray too far afield...

Old 12-14-2011, 06:09 PM

They are parts of the hip hop wear because they were part of the hood wear. I agree that this is kinda offtopic though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty