Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 06:14 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times

Advertisements

My man wears pleated-front pants because he says he cannot find flat-front pants that don't show his package. I'm not talking about that shrink-wrapped skinny jeans look, but pants from Express, Dockers, that kind of thing. It's always ... oh hello. I like the look of flat fronts, and I know that he would prefer to look hip and youthful over staunch and older, but even getting him into a sweater over a collared shirt instead of over a white T is a big change. If I suggest something, he'll try it on, but he hates to go out looking for new things. At this point, he is mostly convinced that all flat-front pants show a bulge in men.

What do you guys wear? Something mainstream, please. If I have to drag him somewhere much more exotic than Macy's, he won't go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 06:17 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,367,314 times
Pleated pants are pretty formal (in my opinion) and kind of lame if someone is wearing them other than official business.

I usually go to asos.com and other various websites from Europe/UK.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:18 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,367,314 times
I realize all I did was reinforce your point and fail to give you a solution, sorry.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:19 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Mrs. Lao got rid of all of my pleated front pants. She says it looks like the 70s or 80s. As far as package goes with the flat pants, I totally understand your husbands concerns. But, I gots to do what the missus says. She LOVES me in flat front non pleated pants.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:20 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Express sells "producer" and "photographer" pants which are flat fronted. And no, my package does not protrude, it depends on an external factor, like a foreign hand going over it

Calvin Klein sells them too. Plenty, plenty, plenty.

Dockers have more pleated ones than flat front ones. They're for the old boys network

Old 11-28-2011, 06:21 PM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Pleated are sort of classic.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:23 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Here's an example:

PINSTRIPE STRETCH COTTON PHOTOGRAPHER SUIT PANT at Express (http://www.express.com/pinstripe-stretch-cotton-photographer-suit-pant-43082-611/control/page/4/show/3/index.pro - broken link)

Old 11-28-2011, 06:27 PM

Express pants are too slim on him, Ant. I've taken him there a couple of times. He does have their baggy jeans, though.

I know, I don't want him to dress like an old man. He's not in shawl-collar cardigans yet. I like the look of a fitted V-neck sweater with flat-front pants ... just have to get him on board with some that don't show too much.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
I realize all I did was reinforce your point and fail to give you a solution, sorry.
Ha, it was your recent post with several links to sweaters that inspired mine.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:30 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,691 times
Your post made me chuckle since I just got my engineer into flat-front khakis ~4 years ago.

He knew he needed to update his wardrobe.

We still buy basic Dockers, sometimes Lee or J. Crew chinos.

I think it has more to do with the fabric (not too thin) and the fit. He went up one size in the waist(in SOME brands), and I convinced him to go up one in length too (engineers! LOL).

We look for the "relaxed" fit, mostly because he has muscular thighs, but I think it helps with binding in the crotch too.

We took a long rainy Saturday and tried on everything in the stores (Kohls mainly, but also JC Penny, J Crew, and Eddie Bauer) .

Not to get to personal, but your hubby may want to think about underwear too. Many guys are "boxer guys" left over from college, but the more fitted underwear works better with dress slacks. They have "boxer briefs" now, that are boxer in length, but more fitted and sleek and they tend to, uh, hold the boys in check.

p.s. of course you could always just wait a bit. I'm sure pleated pants for men will make a comeback any day now....you know how fashion is!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty