Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 02:58 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times

Advertisements

If sweatpants/sweatshirts are clean, why are they slovenly? Not everyone's taste, perhaps, but as long as one is clean and groomed, does it really matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 03:05 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,711,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
If sweatpants/sweatshirts are clean, why are they slovenly? Not everyone's taste, perhaps, but as long as one is clean and groomed, does it really matter?
Well if they are dirty that is just deplorable. Thats is defcon 4 slobbing or extreme poverty (which is just sad to see).

Its slovenly because it is a careless, too casual look. Ya know...the definition and all that. There are plenty of real clothing options that are just as comfy that don't look sloppy.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:33 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
I recently bought a pair of Walmart brand jeans just to garden in and they are so dang comfortable I'm half tempted to wear them to church. Plus my DH told me they made my *** looked great so I may buy a half dozen pair.

I totally understand where you're coming from as far as the sweats and comfy go. Thankfully, I don't share your opinion about 99% of the population. Which tells me you just want to tick people off with your wardrobe choice.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:21 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
It's weird to me that sweats would tick anybody off, unless worn to a formal/otherwise dress-up event specifically to be rude. Since it sounds like the OP is a student, I'm really doubting it matters.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:54 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Its slovenly because it is a careless, too casual look. Ya know...the definition and all that. There are plenty of real clothing options that are just as comfy that don't look sloppy.
Right. You're getting dressed, so it doesn't really take any more effort to pull on a pair of jeans, a tank top and a cardigan that looks more pulled together than it does an oversized t-shirt and sweatpants.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 11-18-2011 at 09:04 AM..

Old 11-18-2011, 09:20 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I recently bought a pair of Walmart brand jeans just to garden in and they are so dang comfortable I'm half tempted to wear them to church. Plus my DH told me they made my *** looked great so I may buy a half dozen pair.

I totally understand where you're coming from as far as the sweats and comfy go. Thankfully, I don't share your opinion about 99% of the population. Which tells me you just want to tick people off with your wardrobe choice.
Duly noted

Old 11-18-2011, 09:36 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,952,121 times
I have several pairs of sweat pants - all grey, straight leg, no cuff, side seam pockets. They are clean and well-fitting. In the cool weather, in and out of the car or doing some yard work, they are comfortable. They are neither dirty, holey or slovenly.
Yes, I do dress for the occasion. Church? dress, skirt, hose, no flip-flops! Party? Really dressy, hose and heels.
But I see nothing wrong with any well-fitting clean garment.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:01 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Julia - They're White Stag (is that a Walmart brand?) with an elastic waist band. Cotton, poly and spandex. I think I paid all of $14 since I intended to ruin them doing yard work and outside chores.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:22 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,711,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It's weird to me that sweats would tick anybody off, unless worn to a formal/otherwise dress-up event specifically to be rude. Since it sounds like the OP is a student, I'm really doubting it matters.
Doesn't tick me off. It just looks slobby. I think student years are a good time to start practicing your wardrobe for your profession. I don't see though how being a student would make it not matter. I worked in an area with a lot of students and you would see the girls coming in like that always looking like they had a hangover. You never know either what connections you could make at that age that would possibly be beneficial for your future. No one is going to spend time making small talk that could turn into a connection with someone who looks like a mess. It screams: "leave me alone. Im am putting out minimal effort." You get taken less seriously when you are dressed too far down vs. something a little more put together.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:21 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Doesn't tick me off. It just looks slobby. I think student years are a good time to start practicing your wardrobe for your profession. I don't see though how being a student would make it not matter. I worked in an area with a lot of students and you would see the girls coming in like that always looking like they had a hangover. You never know either what connections you could make at that age that would possibly be beneficial for your future. No one is going to spend time making small talk that could turn into a connection with someone who looks like a mess. It screams: "leave me alone. Im am putting out minimal effort." You get taken less seriously when you are dressed too far down vs. something a little more put together.
I agree 100%. No one is asking you to put on a ball gown or coat and tails to go to class, but wearing something tailored takes no more effort than putting on sweats yet it sends out an entirely different message.

Save the sweats for lounging at home and put on some pants that don't have an elastic waist/draw string when you're going out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty