Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 04:33 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,928,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Um......what???????
I am almost 50, and have not developed "man skin".
The OP is a gay male.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 04:55 PM

151 posts, read 613,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Lifestyles View Post
I find some of the replies here very discouraging, yet a few are helpful. I am seeing a psychiatrist on a month-to-month basis. I've had a lot of personal issues and struggles over the years, and this is one that still has not been dealt with. I have extreme highs and lows with my skin care routine. I'll invest thousands of dollars on a line and give it up in a month because I have no one to show the results to or even receive a single compliment. I have been known to go above and beyond what I need to do. I mean, I bought an expensive air purification system (over $300) because some of my product's packaging was in a jar at one time and I didn't like the thought of it being exposed to unclean air -- or air that wasn't perfectly sanitary. I now use products that only come in tube packaging, but I still keep the air purifier on high at all times because it is a concern for me. I only bought the air purifier for the sake of my products, not for me personally or any health concerns.

Should this even be a concern? I don't like being the "joke" as I find it very painful being the laughing stock of the community, which I already do face such criticism in every day life.

I just want one friend. Someone needs to offer me their love and friendship.
I must say though that when I bought the air purifier I was being exposed to second hand smoke. At that particular time in my life I was living with my grandmother who smoked in the home. I have since moved out of that very unhealthy living situation and have a place of my own. All this has happened over the past 6 months and I'm still adjusting. I still feel a need for the air purifier even though I am no longer exposed to second hand smoke. I lived with my grandmother for 22 years and I just now got moved out.

I don't have a car which is a problem, but I am working on that. In fact, I don't even have my driver's license which is pretty embarrassing. This limits me to the freedom I have to access the community and it's resources. I know what I need to do, but I lack the motivation.

I feel like I've released a lot of unnecessary details. But, they are all factual and very real to me.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:55 PM

15,161 posts, read 27,884,611 times
Not to be rude to the OP BUT!!! You really need to post in the Mental Health forum, you keep posting basically the same things in this one but bottom line is: you need counseling, NOT advice on "beauty/skin care" regimes.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Not to be rude to the OP BUT!!! You really need to post in the Mental Health forum, you keep posting basically the same things in this one but bottom line is: you need counseling, NOT advice on "beauty/skin care" regimes.
Yes, but everything I touch, feel, say, or do revolves around my obsession with beauty. This felt like the most appropriate place to post my concerns at the time. If you do not like what I have to say or see no value in it, then you do not need to be reading this thread.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:43 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,348,442 times
Quote:
obsession ... beauty.
Which one of these words do you think has more to do with your problem? And yes, it sounds like you may have a problem.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Which one of these words do you think has more to do with your problem? And yes, it sounds like you may have a problem.
Everyone has problems. Some more noticeable than others. I address mine very bravely.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:16 AM

29,775 posts, read 34,517,890 times
Are you talking to your psychiatrist about your obsessive compulsive need for beauty products and validation? You really should be. You're never going to find happiness or satisfaction in a jar.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Are you talking to your psychiatrist about your obsessive compulsive need for beauty products and validation? You really should be. You're never going to find happiness or satisfaction in a jar.
Absolutely! He actually encourages me to invest in these types of products.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:40 AM

29,775 posts, read 34,517,890 times
Quote:
Absolutely! He actually encourages me to invest in these types of products.
That seems extremely counterproductive. Does he know the extremes and the expense you're going to? That you can't have a night out without a full day at a spa first?

Old 08-11-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That seems extremely counterproductive. Does he know the extremes and the expense you're going to? That you can't have a night out without a full day at a spa first?
I may have not told him that I put so much time, money and energy into my routine as I have expressed here. But, he certainly should be aware of that because we do have very long sessions where we discuss my expenses and buying habits. He also is aware of my obsessive behavior, but still encourages me to invest in these types of products.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty