Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 06:35 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,763,271 times

Advertisements

Look, man, not sure how to tell you this other than you are definitely unwell. The problem is most likely your self image. If, age 23, if you have a poor self image without hours of cosmetic treatments, be afraid of what you'll see when you look in the mirror in another 20 years. Or even 5 years.

Assuming that you really do look that rough, you should definitely examine your diet and your lifestyle. Something is not right if you have beat up looking skin at that age.

Do you just have crappy skin to begin with? Maybe you should see a dermatologist or even a cosmetic surgeon. Some people just have bad skin. Genetics are hard to outrun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 06:44 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,735,663 times
How silly

Old 08-09-2011, 06:46 PM

151 posts, read 614,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Look, man, not sure how to tell you this other than you are definitely unwell. The problem is most likely your self image. If, age 23, if you have a poor self image without hours of cosmetic treatments, be afraid of what you'll see when you look in the mirror in another 20 years. Or even 5 years.

Assuming that you really do look that rough, you should definitely examine your diet and your lifestyle. Something is not right if you have beat up looking skin at that age.

Do you just have crappy skin to begin with? Maybe you should see a dermatologist or even a cosmetic surgeon. Some people just have bad skin. Genetics are hard to outrun.
My skin is slightly damaged from sun exposure when I was younger. Nothing serious. I have a very fair complexion. I tend to have a lot of redness on my cheeks, nose and chin area. I have excessively enlarged pores from just generally stopping and re-starting my skin care routine, and in between those times I wasn't even cleansing my face. I seem to have some broken capillaries on my nose which is where a lot of blackheads exist. I am not overweight, I eat nutritious foods as I believe beauty starts on the inside and I don't drink, smoke or do drugs.

I am really quite healthy. My skin needs repair and revitalization. I'm up front and honest.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:55 PM

23,405 posts, read 37,164,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Lifestyles View Post
- I am 23 years old.
- Before having an evening out I make an all day trip to the spa to freshen up my appearance. I usually get a quick manicure, 30 minute facial and an intensive hair treatment. My normal visits would be a facial, hair cut, manicure and sometimes pedicure. I do this about once a month. Rarely do I go out, but when I do I like to be recognized and refreshed.
- My A.M. skin care routine takes about an hour. My P.M. skin care routine takes anywhere from 30 minutes to one hour depending on what products I use.

I'm really not crazy, I'm just having a hard time balancing it all out.
No one is saying you're crazy, but there is something not right with spending so much time and money on your appearance at your age and obsessing with your skin the way you are, and this is coming from a recovering make-up junkie.
You need to see a professional, and and I dont mean make-up artist.
You've got something going on, and really need some help dealing with whatever it is.
I wish you luck.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:00 PM

151 posts, read 614,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
No one is saying you're crazy, but there is something not right with spending so much time and money on your appearance at your age and obsessing with your skin the way you are, and this is coming from a recovering make-up junkie.
You need to see a professional, and and I dont mean make-up artist.
You've got something going on, and really need some help dealing with whatever it is.
I wish you luck.
Thank you. I need to stay out of spas and malls. They're my addiction and yet my only friend.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:13 PM

23,405 posts, read 37,164,538 times
Quote:
Thank you. I need to stay out of spas and malls. They're my addiction and yet my only friend.
When you learn to love yourself, (and you will) you will see you dont need that crap.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:13 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,671,804 times
Quote:
OK I'm going share just my skin care routine in whole. It's not easy to financially keep this up on a regular basis and I get very discouraged at times as I often have to put other things in my life on hold, including people... I'm putting it all out there, because I really need a second opinion on what I am doing. My skin care routine is the most time consuming out of it all.

EDIT: Never mind, I think sharing this information is only making me obsess more about the problem and it puts me in a negative light.
You really should talk to a professional about why you are so obsessed with how you look and why you are willing to put your living and loving on hold. I feel sorry for you-it is like you are so obsessed that you think all your worth is tied up in your looks.Do you mind me asking your age? Are you a woman who has skated by on her looks and now the inevitable aging is starting to show? It is scary-but it is life

Old 08-09-2011, 08:23 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,197,186 times
Quote:
I really appreciate your reply and you always have good things to say. My feelings about Paula Begoun, her books and her website are not good. I use La Prairie skin care and she gives very low ratings on their products. Fortunately, I tried the products before someone referenced me to her website. I know a lot of people don't want to believe that a $1,000 face cream will work. It won't completely diminish wrinkles, but it will put them in disguise. The moisturizers in the line actually do moisturize the skin quite nicely. They go beyond conventional beauty and provide a deep sense of well being. To, me they are not hype. I find them very effective. I'm just uncomfortable about spending so much money on skin care.

I mean how do I go from using thousands of dollars of luxury products to maybe less than fifty dollars on drug store. I just don't see it happening without intensive therapy, as some have suggest. I would still like to use La Prairie products even if I did cut back.

Back to Paula Begoun, I don't think she even tried the La Prairie line, but rather looked at the ingredients and then took her judgment. I feel you have to use a product yourself for at least 2 weeks before you can give a review.
pray-tell what wrinkles does a 23 year old have?
My moisturizer is $100. Lasts around 3-4 months, and I wouldn't spend much more than that.

Unfortunately I can't use "drugstore" types as they don't do anything good for me. However, it'd be a cold day in hell before I spent $1000 on a product.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:30 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,440,018 times
Please stop spending 1K on skin care and invest it. Take pictures of yourself now so that in 20 years you can look back and see how good you really look. You will regret how much time and money you spent because you will realize how good you really did look.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:34 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,978,003 times
Quote:
I honestly don't know why I stopped doing my entire skin, body, hair and makeup routine all at once. As many of you may recall I attempted to successfully cut down dramatically - I'm talking soap and water - on my daily routine. I wanted to do this as an experiment to see how I would react physically and emotionally. It has been almost 2 weeks and I've been doing nothing but brushing my teeth and using soap and water.

I know this may sound bizarre, but I really was getting tired of putting such a great amount of money and time into my daily routine. I look HORRIBLE. I look like I just crawled out of a hole in a wall...

This was the worst mistake I have ever made as far as choices. I should have just stuck with my routine although it was costing me an arm and a leg to keep up and was exceedingly time consuming.

Mentally, I'm not well. This was not a good decision. Period.

I'm going to start my routine fresh in the morning which includes a healthy and nutritious breakfast and an advanced skin care routine.

Too bad this whole thing was not documented as it has been quite an experience, and I wouldn't say it was pleasant or even interesting.

I feel kind of lame right now and don't really know what else to say. This has been like smoking for 50 years and going off completely cold turkey.

I really need to be revitalized and energized from the inside out...

Suggestions? Comments?
Can you post a picture before you go back to your routine?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty