Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 10:27 AM

15,642 posts, read 26,299,482 times

Advertisements

Our thrift stores don't have a lot of nice stuff.... because we have tons of consignment stores and people take the good stuff there. Why donate, when you can sell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 09:35 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,106,738 times
The only time I ever did this was once, back in the late-80's I was in this band called The Urge and we did alot of old retro doo-wop 50's and 60's stuff. So we dressed in cheap-looking black business suits; you know: kinda like the Blues Brothers deal.
Anyway, I went to this second-hand retro clothing hole in the wall joint in Venice Beach, CA called "Goodbye/Hello." For $35 I bought this black suit complete with a white shirt and a skinny red tie. And I got a black porkpie hat for another $10.
I looked pretty cool in that get-up but I could never get the damn smell out of it. It had this funky boiled cabbage & English Leather cologne thing goin' on. But hell, mosta the clubs we played in those days were so smokey that I only noticed the smell at home.
My girlfriend finally made me throw it out after I came to bed with her one night and she said "I hate English Leather; it's for teenage boys who don't know any better; why do you wear it?" And when I told her it was the suit she made me toss it. LOL.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:00 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,635,717 times
I love thrify store shopping, and yard sales, but auctions/estate sales are my fav, by far. In this area, most people go for the antique glasswear/china/silverware and tools. Not a huge call for the vintage clothing. Just 3 weeks ago, I got a classic cut 3/4 length black sheared mink for $50, along with a vintage black lace dress worn by an extra in the movie "A League of Their Own".

Think my best deal ever was at an auction and I got 2 wing backs, a couch, washer and dryer, an old (80's model GE) console TV, table and chairs, and a box FULL of pots and pans for right at $150 with the 10% buyers added on.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:55 PM

5,637 posts, read 6,526,644 times
I buy all of my clothes, except underwear, from thrift stores, yard sales and the swap meet (flea market). I've never been a fashion bug, and I save a lot of money doing it my way. I'm left with more money for my family. I work out of my home, so I don't have to dress up.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:13 PM

7,383 posts, read 5,497,401 times
We have a very nice Goodwill store where I live. It's clean and well organised. I only buy tops from there though and toys and books for my grandson. I wear a small size in pants and the smaller sizes tend to be junior/teen clothes that are too young for me. Our other second hand store that benefits the local pet shelter doesn't have very nice stuff and the place is messy and cramped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty