Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 03:58 PM

22,632 posts, read 15,032,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I USED to like shopping at thrift stores but not anymore, they've gotten to the point that I guess they think they are boutiques? Goodwill, etc. are priced higher than NEW items on sale at stores
No way, Jose.

At a local "Red, White & Blue" thrift shop I found a pair of apparently new Docker's Khaki trousers for $6, but since it was "Senior Day" (Wednesday) - and I am 57 ... it cost me $3. A long sleeve Tommy Hilfinger shirt was $5.50, cost me $2.75 ... in ABSOLUTELY New condition. I could go on and on ... a Bill Blass sports jacket, a Gant wind-breaker, dress shirts by DKNY, Joseph Aboud and Ike Behar ... nothing more than $7 or $8.

Maybe thrift shops are better in some areas of the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 09:32 AM

1,233 posts, read 2,837,565 times
The thrift stores in my area are really dirty, unorganized, and unfriendly towards newcomers. You can find some cool stuff for kitchens, house accessories, and furniture, but clothing is completely out of the question.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:35 AM

5,418 posts, read 9,237,833 times
I don't get clothes from charity/thrift stores, but I've met some very well-dressed girls who have and they sure do pull it off.

Something about "vintage" clothes or something like that.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:55 AM

10,228 posts, read 16,374,223 times
Rarely. But I do go to Goodwill for jeans. One time I picked up a pair of REI cargo pants, the kind you convert to Bermuda shorts, for only $10. They're a little big but I still wear them.

I won't buy swimsuits, underwear or shoes from there, though.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:30 AM

17,636 posts, read 39,424,496 times
I've been shopping thrifts for just about everything for over 20 years. I agree that these days the prices are higher and the stores more "picked over" but I still find great things. In 20 years NEVER had a problem with bedbugs, and that goes for clothing, linens or furniture.

A great deal of my clothing comes from thrifts, these days mostly shorts, pants or tops. I do buy used sandals, but only those that look unworn, or perhaps worn once or twice. I buy underwear and other clothing new from discount stores like Target or from ebay.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:46 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,408,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERCHIC View Post
do any of you buy clothes etc from Salvation Army, Goodwill etc?

I know a lot of people that love shopping an get great stuff and then you have people who are so against wearing pre-owned merch.

My latest find was a pair of Calvin Klien Jeans for .50 cents, Donna Karen Jeans $4.00, A vintage suede mini dress by Mary Quant for $6.00
Sounds like some good grabs. I know people who think its gross to buy used stuff, but a lot of the time you can find brand new items. I don't go to SA or GW, in this area their stuff is sometimes shabby and they want top dollar for it. I do however visit other second hand stores and a handful of consignment boutiques...but my favorite place to shop is at yard sales. People really do not know what they have, and they just want it gone, that's where I come in. My latest acquisitions include a pair of brand new Born Concept wedgies for $3, a pair of Von Zipper (made in Italy) sunglasses for $5, and some Pottery Barn teen stuff for my son's room. When I tell people about the stuff I find and how much I save they usually don't believe me.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:56 AM

19,938 posts, read 20,544,804 times
I found a really neat thrift store over the weekend!

All women's jeans were $3.99, and they were all very neatly organzied, and in good condition. Most of them were name brands and not those crappy k-mart style mom-jeans you always have to dig through..lol

They had lots of furniture and generally just cool & interesting stuff to look at. I love places like this w/ all kinds of stuff that just grabs your attention.

I found 2 really funky bracelets and got a bunch of vhs movies.

They even had a litter of puppies there hanging out for adoption. So cute..!

Very cool place ran by cool people!

Old 07-25-2011, 11:40 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,785,725 times
I used to shop at local thrift stores in highschool and college, mostly for jackets and vintage clothes. My favorite find was a shearling jacket that was in perfect condition and it was so soft. It cost me more to have it cleaned than to buy it...$20. I don't frequent thrift stores anymore because the clothes are not vintage anymore (if they are, they are very hard to find) and they aren't "cheap".
I have never been to an estate sale but unfortunately I live in an area where there aren't too many of those.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:53 AM

2,183 posts, read 5,575,969 times
I get shirts for work & sometimes pants. There are some cool name brand items there that you would never want to pay full price for... Aeropostal, Ann Taylor Loft, Lauren, for examples. All like new cuz the richy-richies are bored with them.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:10 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,439,100 times
Talking Absolutely...

1/2 of my daily attire is an Aloha Shirt...gotta tell ya...I haven't bought a 'new' Aloha shirt in over 20 years. I am able to find vintage shirts that would normally retail from $150.00 for about $2.50 or less. I've found rare
vintage Aloha shirts that would sell to collectors for well over $500.00 for
the same price...one mans' junk is definately another mans' treasure. Oh, and I do intend to keep my shopping locations a very deep secret.
Koale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty