Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 10:30 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,859,339 times

Advertisements

I thought wearing undershirts under another shirt was just something the older generation did? I really don't see too many young guys wearing them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 10:40 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,355,794 times
Some men have what's called chest hair. And many times, this chest hair goes all the way up to the collar bone. Some men choose not to reveal this or are for whatever reason sensitive about it so they choose to wear an undershirt as well as their polo or V neck.

And I totally agree that all dress shirts should have an undershirt underneath, if anything to catch the perspiration. If you live in a really hot climate in the summers like Chicago where it gets to be 95 and humid, then wear a short sleeve dress shirt if you can but still wear an undershirt.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:08 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,231,200 times
I kinda like the under-shirt, under a dress shirt look. It makes me think the guy is clean and put together. Good hygiene

Old 10-02-2010, 01:27 PM

11 posts, read 33,201 times
There really are a lot of different opinions on this subject. And I thought I was the only one who really had an strong opinion on the subject. So here's my take on what I was taught as a child on how to be a respectable/presentable man:

1. All self respecting men should wear some kind of undershirt in public when wearing any shirt with a collar.

2. There are different neck lines of undershirts for a reason.
a. A full neck undershirt should be worn with a button-up shirt when wearing a tie.
b. A V neck is appropriate with a button-up without a tie (if chest hair isn't an issue)
c. A V neck undershirt should be worn with any polo-type knit shirt (again, if chest hair isn't an issue)
d. If chest hair is an issue and you are adverse to grooming, ALWAYS opt for a full neck undershirt.
e. A-style undershirts (wife-beaters) are only appropriate at the beach, gym, or while digging ditches or the occasional yard work (in the back yard). (Unless you cook Meth, in which case it is always appropriate...that's how the rest of us know who you are)
f. if you wear a dark shirt that is somewhat sheer you should wear an dark undershirt, so it doesn't look sheer.

3.The only exceptions to the above rules are:
a. if you wake up in the middle of the night and your house in on fire and you run outside grabbing the first shirt you see.
b. you're doing work in a 3rd world country and don't want to seem uppity.
c. you enter a contest for the sleaziest man.

And let me be clear, I am a straight guy, not a metro-sexual, and I only spend 15 minutes in the morning showering, shaving, and dressing - but I ALWAYS wear an appropriate undershirt (even when it's 100+ degrees)

It seems that some of us have no idea that others notice things like this and can judge us (fairly or not) based on the simply courtesies we extend to other peoples eyes.

This topic is related to men who don't wear socks. Do we need to start a thread on that too?
Has anybody ever heard "Don't trust a man who doesn't wear socks" ?
Well, I live by this too, and it's served me well.

I'm sure some of you will think I'm a nut, but I bet you're probably cooking Meth in your kitchen.

Old 10-02-2010, 01:43 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,944,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
I thought wearing undershirts under another shirt was just something the older generation did? I really don't see too many young guys wearing them.
I guess young guys don't perspire?

Old 10-02-2010, 02:20 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saywha View Post
IMO Any man with chest hair should wear a t-shirt under the polo or button down shirt......no chest hair sticking out plz, especially old dudes with gray hair....it looks like cobwebs, blech!
Oh, that's easily taken care of. Razor with a trimmer attachment.

Old 10-02-2010, 06:39 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,968,935 times
I'm 25 and I always have and always will wear an undershirt. Not wearing an undershirt looks filthy to me. Also, I wear polos for work. I want to cover up the same amount of skin of my torso as I would with a T-shirt. I have chest hair, not enough to be embarrassed about but I don't want to show off my chest...thats like male cleavage and thats just odd. When I wear button down shirts, I only button to about halfway. I don't like buttoning to about the top and no way in hell am I not going to wear an undershirt with half my torso showing.

I also wear an undershirt when I wear a dress shirt which maybe less common. Most of my friends who wear polos or a button down wear an undershirt as well.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:17 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
Definitely pro-undershirt, here.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:41 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,350,704 times
Please, just don't wear a wife beater undershirt.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:21 PM

18,467 posts, read 31,621,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundRoundGetAround View Post
There really are a lot of different opinions on this subject. And I thought I was the only one who really had an strong opinion on the subject. So here's my take on what I was taught as a child on how to be a respectable/presentable man:

1. All self respecting men should wear some kind of undershirt in public when wearing any shirt with a collar.

2. There are different neck lines of undershirts for a reason.
a. A full neck undershirt should be worn with a button-up shirt when wearing a tie.
b. A V neck is appropriate with a button-up without a tie (if chest hair isn't an issue)
c. A V neck undershirt should be worn with any polo-type knit shirt (again, if chest hair isn't an issue)
d. If chest hair is an issue and you are adverse to grooming, ALWAYS opt for a full neck undershirt.
e. A-style undershirts (wife-beaters) are only appropriate at the beach, gym, or while digging ditches or the occasional yard work (in the back yard). (Unless you cook Meth, in which case it is always appropriate...that's how the rest of us know who you are)
f. if you wear a dark shirt that is somewhat sheer you should wear an dark undershirt, so it doesn't look sheer.

3.The only exceptions to the above rules are:
a. if you wake up in the middle of the night and your house in on fire and you run outside grabbing the first shirt you see.
b. you're doing work in a 3rd world country and don't want to seem uppity.
c. you enter a contest for the sleaziest man.

And let me be clear, I am a straight guy, not a metro-sexual, and I only spend 15 minutes in the morning showering, shaving, and dressing - but I ALWAYS wear an appropriate undershirt (even when it's 100+ degrees)

It seems that some of us have no idea that others notice things like this and can judge us (fairly or not) based on the simply courtesies we extend to other peoples eyes.

This topic is related to men who don't wear socks. Do we need to start a thread on that too?
Has anybody ever heard "Don't trust a man who doesn't wear socks" ?
Well, I live by this too, and it's served me well.

I'm sure some of you will think I'm a nut, but I bet you're probably cooking Meth in your kitchen.
ugh, I don't agree with anything you wrote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty