Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 10:54 AM

5 posts, read 7,232 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I received a job offer to work in Fairbanks and should be relocating there mid-winter from the lower 48. I see that there are many options to get to Fairbanks but understand that seasonal conditions could limit those possibilities. Right now, I'm considering shipping my vehicle directly to Fairbanks and am currently looking at http://www.lynden.com/aml/shipping-cars-to-alaska.html to send my car there. A secondary option I've looked at is Alaska Auto Transport which would drop my vehicle off in Anchorage. From there, I would fly to Anchorage and drive the rest of the way on the Parks Highway. Outside of winter storms, I'm unsure how the driving conditions are between Anchorage and Fairbanks during the winter which is why I'm looking at shipping my car directly to the city. Have you used these services? If not, what is your recommendation for shipping services or getting to Fairbanks?

Before arriving, I plan on winterizing my vehicle by getting a block heater, oil pan heater, battery blanket, and snow tires. Please let me know if you suggest additional items.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 11:09 AM

459 posts, read 586,001 times
That is a lot of $$ to ship a car ... gone forever. Maybe trade it in and buy after you get to Fairbanks?

If you keep yours you will also need to change your differential fluid and repack the front wheel bearings with low temp grease ... going to cost you a few hundred to get the rig up to par. A good all season tire is all you really need.

Why not just drive all the way ... about as easy in the end.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:44 AM

It's a lot of money, and I'd like to avoid shipping if possible. I have considered driving the entire way, but I've also read dissuading stories about winter travel on the ALCAN from these forums.

Old 11-08-2017, 12:09 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,694,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonKarman View Post
It's a lot of money, and I'd like to avoid shipping if possible. I have considered driving the entire way, but I've also read dissuading stories about winter travel on the ALCAN from these forums.

Every single day passenger vehicles and commercial trucks travel the Alcan to Alaska. If your vehicle is in good repair, has winter rated tires and your confident of your driving skills then there is no reason you can't drive it. Parts of it will be icy or snow packed. Winter storms could pop up. Breakdowns might or might not happen. As long as you're prepared you'll do fine.

Couple of tips. Slow down! When in doubt stop and physically check the road conditions. Get out and drag your foot across the road surface. If you see gas get gas. That gives you a chance to also check the physical condition of your vehicle and get your body moving a bit. Be alert to animals on the roadway.

I've made a number of winter trips without problems. And I made one with. My own fault. Headed north out of Iskut fairly early in the morning. Light snow, low light, on a gradual curve and I couldn't tell where the edge of the road was. By the time I realized it I'd already dropped the passengers side tires off the edge and got sucked right into a snowbank. A deep snowbank. $200 bucks for a tow and 3 hours later I was on my way. Real nice tow truck driver. His wife fed me lunch and I got to listen to him rant about Canadian gun control laws.

Old 11-08-2017, 12:16 PM

10,561 posts, read 7,763,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Couple of tips. Slow down! When in doubt stop and physically check the road conditions. Get out and drag your foot across the road surface. If you see gas get gas. That gives you a chance to also check the physical condition of your vehicle and get your body moving a bit. Be alert to animals on the roadway.
Great advice. Take heed and you should be fine.

Old 11-09-2017, 07:37 AM

Thanks for your tips and suggestions! I think I'll reconsider taking the ALCAN. I'll just try to plan around the weather as much as I can. What would you say is the average distance between gas stations during the winter?

Old 11-09-2017, 01:31 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,189,530 times
Get a copy of "The Milepost"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-09-2017, 02:06 PM

459 posts, read 586,001 times
You can also figure about 45 hours actual drive (behind the wheel) time from Seattle. Take extra fuel, a couple of sleeping bags and a well stocked cooler then hit the road ... go straight through and nap along the way.

DO NOT take a firearm ... especially a revolver.

Old 11-09-2017, 03:07 PM

Thanks, Music Man! I ordered a copy a few days ago. I can't wait to take a look at it.

Old 11-10-2017, 12:33 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,171,303 times
I am glad you decided to do the drive. I think it is much more affordable. I do recommend getting the vehicle winterized before you leave the lower48. As mentioned, make sure you have cold weather survival gear. I'd even recommend some type of satellite phone/text devise.

I admit, I have never done the drive, but there will be extremely long stretches with no gas stations. I simply recommend getting gas every time you pass a gas station. Just pull over and top off the tank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks