Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 06:54 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,596,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
I am glad you decided to do the drive. I think it is much more affordable. I do recommend getting the vehicle winterized before you leave the lower48. As mentioned, make sure you have cold weather survival gear. I'd even recommend some type of satellite phone/text devise.

I admit, I have never done the drive, but there will be extremely long stretches with no gas stations. I simply recommend getting gas every time you pass a gas station. Just pull over and top off the tank.
I've done the drive many a time. Gas up in Fort St John, Fort Nelson, Watson Lake and Whitehorse and you'll be just fine. No need to fill up any more than that unless you have a vehicle with extremely limited range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2017, 09:27 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,817,470 times
I suggest driving all the way. By the time you get to Fairbanks in the winter you will realize just how inhospitable interior Alaska can be. Then you, if you have any sense, will call you prospective employer thank them for the offer and drive back to Anchorage and look for a job there. Anchorage weather is merely cold, wet and miserable. Fairbanks can be crippling.

Old 11-11-2017, 10:19 AM

1,182 posts, read 2,479,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I suggest driving all the way. By the time you get to Fairbanks in the winter you will realize just how inhospitable interior Alaska can be. Then you, if you have any sense, will call you prospective employer thank them for the offer and drive back to Anchorage and look for a job there. Anchorage weather is merely cold, wet and miserable. Fairbanks can be crippling.
I get it, and agree with, the folks on this forum who repeatedly warn newbies coming up to Alaska to be properly prepared.

What I don't get at all is telling someone who has a job offer in hand, and is likely really stoked about their new job and moving to Alaska, that they are making a big mistake.

GregW, I generally agree with the advice you post on the NM forums, but I think you're way off base on this one. You are directly p***ing in their Wheaties, questioning their judgment, while knowing nothing about their situation or motivations for deciding to move to Fairbanks. And after living in Fairbanks for almost 40 years, I totally disagree with your characterization of how inhospitable interior Alaska is.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:03 PM

5 posts, read 7,236 times
Thanks again for all of your feedback! I now plan on making the drive to Fairbanks during the second half of next month. I have had my engine block heater installed, oil changed, and engine coolant replaced. The technician who is from Alaska told me that my car wouldn't need an oil pan heater. I plan to call the auto dealer in Fairbanks to confirm though. Along the way, I plan to purchase snow tires and a battery warmer.

I decided to take the ferry to Haines just to see some scenery and get a break from driving.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:08 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,309,970 times
I'd say you NEED an oil pan heater in Fairbanks winter. The technician who used to live in Alaska who told you that is wrong and must be from Anchorage.

Luckily it's cheap and probably the easiest heater to DIY install in 5 minutes. Why risk it? The car will be hating life as it is trying to start up in -40 with the block heater, pan heater, and battery heater/trickle charger trifecta.

Oil in the bottom of your pan will be anywhere from thick molasses consistency to rock solid without a pan heater when it's -40.

Last edited by 6.7traveler; 12-21-2017 at 10:21 PM..

Old 12-22-2017, 01:09 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,596,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonKarman View Post
Thanks again for all of your feedback! I now plan on making the drive to Fairbanks during the second half of next month. I have had my engine block heater installed, oil changed, and engine coolant replaced. The technician who is from Alaska told me that my car wouldn't need an oil pan heater. I plan to call the auto dealer in Fairbanks to confirm though. Along the way, I plan to purchase snow tires and a battery warmer.

I decided to take the ferry to Haines just to see some scenery and get a break from driving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
I'd say you NEED an oil pan heater in Fairbanks winter. The technician who used to live in Alaska who told you that is wrong and must be from Anchorage.

Luckily it's cheap and probably the easiest heater to DIY install in 5 minutes. Why risk it? The car will be hating life as it is trying to start up in -40 with the block heater, pan heater, and battery heater/trickle charger trifecta.

Oil in the bottom of your pan will be anywhere from thick molasses consistency to rock solid without a pan heater when it's -40.
I agree with the oil pan heater and battery heater for Fairbanks. You can probably wait until you get there to have them installed. The shops there will be much more experienced about what wattage to use for the oil heater.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:26 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,108,441 times
I completely agree with 6.7 and AlaskaErik. Not really optional items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks