Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 11:55 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by akpls View Post
..and farther south they suffer with Coldfoot!.........You started it!
You two are just too funny. Coldfoot and Deadhorse...

Even in Livingood a horse with coldfoot could be dead
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 09:23 AM

12 posts, read 28,484 times
There are a lot of horses in Alaska. If you have Facebook, I would advise to join groups - there are a lot in Anchorage, Fairbanks, where people in the horse community post valuable info.
F.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:01 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,301,121 times
Icelandic horses.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:46 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,423,875 times
Fair warning, the horse community in Alaska is corrupt and out of its collective mind crazy.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:51 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,301,121 times
I don't think it's fair to say the horse community as a whole is corrupt and crazy. I have met some very nice people up here with horses. We do have our fair share of crazy people up here though it's not just limited to the horse community.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:22 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,612,445 times
For those looking into horses in Alaska: The maddening joy of keeping horses in Alaska during a cold snap | Alaska Dispatch News

Old 12-02-2015, 01:35 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,110,679 times
If I had to guess the horse community is much like the aviation community. The reason for this is the lack of real estate to actually board horses. I would imagine getting into horses in Alaska is very much like getting into aviation where there is a gross lack of boarding and what does exist is extremely expensive.

Those already into the hobby don't have to work with you because the supply and demand dynamic is strongly in favor of the existing establishment. Its not like you go down to horses r us and board your horse for 100$ a month or buy a horse on some kind of market. You likely have to know a guy who knows a guy that could squeeze you in if you jump through your own back side for them. Then once your horse is there if there is any sort of conflict what so ever your level of leverage as the customer is extremely limited. To me if I have to pander that hard to someone in the establishment to keep my horse healthy that's an extremely unhealthy relationship and not a very fun hobby at that point.

BUT at least with a horse you can go buy 5 or 10 acres and put up a barn and such where as in aviation you either find an airport or your screwed, its not like there is tons of linear acerage for sale to put in a nice long strip unless you get WAY off the road system in the middle of no where at which point its not a viable hobby anymore.

My advice would be to buy some land close to where you live and work and set up all the infrastructure to board your own horse before you even buy the horse. The last thing you want is someone threatening to kick you out of the boarding house with no where else to go because of some conflict or they raise prices on you indiscriminately because supply is so low and they can.

Last edited by pittsflyer; 12-02-2015 at 01:44 PM..

Old 12-02-2015, 07:44 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,172,754 times
been there, done that. It costs a fortune and to be honest the horses don't seem to enjoy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks