Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 03:34 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by love.doll View Post
being skinny isnt what its all cracked up to be. some of us have serious health issues & are severely underweight which is NOT healthy.

some of us cant fit in certain clothes & we cant do certain jobs either. we're shaped like rulers too. some doctors do not take our weight issues seriously. they'll just tell us to eat more, compliment on how small are arms are & send us on our way.

do you know how HARD it is to consume atleast 2000-2500 calories a DAY from nothing but healthy/semi-healthy foods & milkshakes when you already have the worst appetite ever? toddlers have better appetites than me.

i want to school to be a nurse & i have to start out as a CNA. how in the world am i supposed to help older patients move around when i'm weak & frail too.

i am 22, 5'7, 102lbs & i HATE IT.

*drops the mic & slowly walks out the thread*
I think being thin is amazing! Now Ok i'm not as tall as you, but I weigh relatively the same. Once heavy, I would never ever go back to my former weight again. Clothes look amazing on me, I am confident, I get attention from guys that I never got before. Yes, being thin is all it's cracked up to be...and more!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 04:09 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,013,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
I'm short, thick on my bottom, and kind of have a muscular stocky medium build.

For me--I eat fine. I'm lucky enough to enjoy healthier foods over "bad" foods. I rarely consume over 1,600 calories per day.

However... if I don't exercise, I gain weight like mad. My metabolism really needs a "boost" from exercise to keep me from being mildly overweight. The thing is, if I run for 45 minutes 4-5 times/week, my weight is fine, and I'll will be about 20 lbs less than if I didn't REGARDLESS of what I eat.

It's odd, but that's the way I am. My point? Everyone's different, and everyones' metabolism behaves differently. Just do what's right for YOU.
Sounds like you have the "thrifty". Those of us that had ancestors that survived hard times tend to put on weight without the added exercise boost because our bodies are built to survive famine. We are the survivors!

Old 11-03-2009, 07:10 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,929,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I think being thin is amazing! Now Ok i'm not as tall as you, but I weigh relatively the same. Once heavy, I would never ever go back to my former weight again. Clothes look amazing on me, I am confident, I get attention from guys that I never got before. Yes, being thin is all it's cracked up to be...and more!
I feel the same way you too. I was never "fat" per se, just kinda chubby (155 lbs at 5'3'') but now that I'm thinner (130 lbs) it's quite nice. I love how clothing fits me now, and how I no longer how to go up a size in pants to avoid a "muffin top" if you know what I mean. Only bad thing is that my boobs shrunk about a cup size. Oh well.

Still wanting 10 more pounds to go! Then I'd be 120 lbs and about a size 0....holy crap.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:10 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
I feel the same way you too. I was never "fat" per se, just kinda chubby (155 lbs at 5'3'') but now that I'm thinner (130 lbs) it's quite nice. I love how clothing fits me now, and how I no longer how to go up a size in pants to avoid a "muffin top" if you know what I mean. Only bad thing is that my boobs shrunk about a cup size. Oh well.

Still wanting 10 more pounds to go! Then I'd be 120 lbs and about a size 0....holy crap.
congrats! That's awesome. It's cool too when a world of fashion opens up to you when you actually have the body to fit it.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:14 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,929,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
congrats! That's awesome. It's cool too when a world of fashion opens up to you when you actually have the body to fit it.
Thanks!

As stupid and petty as this may sound, one of the biggest motivators for me to lose weight was when I wanted a new pair of Seven jeans, and I realized that size 30 was too tight for me, and that the largest size made by that company was 31 (although, to be fair, I think they have some extended sizes (32 & 33) on their website, still not in store!). I was like....no way in hell am I going to surpass the biggest size made!!!

Old 11-04-2009, 10:07 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,294,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattE View Post
Why are there many people who are skinny who never exercised a day in their life and they can maintain their weight and eat five times as much as me, yet one look at a piece of food whether it's junk or healthy and I would gain the weight and have to work my butt off each day exercising and have to watch what I eat. What's up with that? Can someone explain this to me?
I'm one of those people, which isn't always good. I don't excercise very often and I eat unhealthy. However, just because I am skinny does NOT mean I am in shape. In fact, when I do work out or go on a hike it is really hard on my body because I am not used to it and not fit.. However, the older I get i'm sure the more weight I will be gaining since my metabolism will get slower..

Old 11-04-2009, 04:11 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,806,261 times
Quote:
Why are there many people who are skinny who never exercised a day in their life and they can maintain their weight and eat five times as much as me, yet one look at a piece of food whether it's junk or healthy and I would gain the weight and have to work my butt off each day exercising and have to watch what I eat. What's up with that? Can someone explain this to me?
Metabolism and genetics. You either have a high metabolism or you don't. For men it usually tapers off around 26 years old...not sure about what age for women. I've been skinny my entire life and have worked out for the last few years trying to add weight. You may think the grass is greener but my roomate, who is big and trying to lose weight, and I are always doing the opposites. Either way its a chore.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:31 PM

50,366 posts, read 63,948,892 times
They picked skinny parents.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:37 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
They picked skinny parents.
Funny.

But I have yet to see a big fat person with skinny parents and siblings.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:23 PM

805 posts, read 1,509,768 times
Quote:
Why are there many people who are skinny who never exercised a day in their life and they can maintain their weight and eat five times as much as me, yet one look at a piece of food whether it's junk or healthy and I would gain the weight and have to work my butt off each day exercising and have to watch what I eat. What's up with that? Can someone ,explain this to me?

I think skinny people are more high strung and that may burn more calories. Speedier movements, faster reactions, more brain synapsing (ok, I know this isn't scientific), etc. This is what I believe are contributing factors to someone's weight:

genes
what kinds of foods you were raised with (sweets that create fat cells or carrots and rice)
your day to day activity level
your day to day diet

If you tried living my lifestyle, I wonder if you'd lose weight. Because I'm skinny and I never think of food until my stomach is growling or the clock is ticking and it's 2 hrs after lunch or dinner already.

I eat to live. And I don't want to faint out of hunger. So I eat. Just that I'd rather do other things than eat, personally.

Sure, a good meal tastes good to me. I can enjoy a nice Thanksgiving dinner or a good bbq steak. But I don't think about it or go out of my way to seek it. I don't crave, miss, or fantasize about a certain snack or food. I never eat junk food or candy because i don't like the taste of them. A nice piece of cake is delicious, but i can't even eat the whole thing at once because it's all too much. And I'm not anorexic or have any issues with body image. I just am fulfilled by things other than food, and food is a means to an end (existence) for me.

I don't speak for all skinnies...just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness