Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 05:30 AM

2,819 posts, read 6,452,975 times

Advertisements

So we all hear stories about people who want to lose weight, but what about the people who want to gain weight?

For me I started to think about it seriously about 4 months ago.

My starting weight: 75kg (165lbs)

I got in contact with a personal trainer and thats been the best thing I've ever done, I'm now on a bodybuilding program and eventually aspire to get into the lifestyle. In the 4 months I've been training I havn't missed a session in the gym once.

I goto the gym on Mon,Tue,Thu,Fri, Upper body on Tue and Fri while lower body and abs is on Mon and Thu, I eat 6 meals a day and I love it.

After 4 months I have seen more definition and of course the weight gain.

My current weight: 82kg (180lbs).

I've been told I'm a hard gainer so any gain for me I take with two hands, it just makes me want it harder.

What are your stories?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 05:44 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
I'm adopted. My mother and sister both had problems in their younger years with being under-weight; mine are "fat" genes, and I've dieted since I was five. We used to joke that every time I was hungry, I should remind them to eat! Life can be so unfair.

As a former personal trainer, I congratulate you on the healthy choice you've made, and hope you continue to see success. Muscle is a much healthier weight to carry than fat.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:37 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,057,740 times
Congrats on your progress.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:36 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,162,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
So we all hear stories about people who want to lose weight, but what about the people who want to gain weight?

I got in contact with a personal trainer and thats been the best thing I've ever done, I'm now on a bodybuilding program and eventually aspire to get into the lifestyle. In the 4 months I've been training I havn't missed a session in the gym once.

I goto the gym on Mon,Tue,Thu,Fri, Upper body on Tue and Fri while lower body and abs is on Mon and Thu, I eat 6 meals a day and I love it.

I've been told I'm a hard gainer so any gain for me I take with two hands, it just makes me want it harder.

What are your stories?
Awesome! Glad to hear all of your dedication is paying off for ya'....my brother had the same issue with not being able to gain. He increased his workouts to 6x a week and trippled his normal DCI with healthy/high omega fats and saw almost imediate results. Some people just have high metabolisms and it's harder to gain.

Good job though! Congrats!

Old 07-10-2009, 07:15 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,304,991 times
matty46 what is your target weight?
I am 6'0' and like to stay around 190-200 I don't like to get bigger than that as I feel like I get winded alot faster and I am not as quick when I play hockey. anyway good to hear about your gainds keep up the good work dude.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:32 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,947,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post

What are your stories?
Congratulations on your gains and your goals. Always nice to hear success stories.

I am/was the same as you. I have always been a rather skinny guy compared to my friends. Was around 150lbs (at 6' 1") most of my life. Ive always been athletic (running, tennis, basketball, raquetball, boxing, football etc) but was always the "skinny" guy. I have always been freakishly strong when it came to leg presses and shoulder presses and would freak out lots of the bodybuilders/powerlifters with the weight I could move. After meeting my wife and eating out every night for several years I was able to put on some pounds but didnt really turn it into "useable" muscle until I started with Ellington Darden's HIT training. I followed the plan EXACTLY as it was outlined in his book (diet and workout) and got all the way up to 199.2 pounds. Today, Im at about 175 and in the best shape of my life thanks to CrossFit (and martial arts).

Old 07-17-2009, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
matty46 what is your target weight?
I am 6'0' and like to stay around 190-200 I don't like to get bigger than that as I feel like I get winded alot faster and I am not as quick when I play hockey. anyway good to hear about your gainds keep up the good work dude.

My target weight is 200, as you said I don't really want to get bigger than that, main reason for that is that I also don't want to lose speed, but if I do someday reach 200 within two-three years I might have to reaccess my goals.

Old 07-17-2009, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Congratulations on your gains and your goals. Always nice to hear success stories.

I am/was the same as you. I have always been a rather skinny guy compared to my friends. Was around 150lbs (at 6' 1") most of my life. Ive always been athletic (running, tennis, basketball, raquetball, boxing, football etc) but was always the "skinny" guy. I have always been freakishly strong when it came to leg presses and shoulder presses and would freak out lots of the bodybuilders/powerlifters with the weight I could move. After meeting my wife and eating out every night for several years I was able to put on some pounds but didnt really turn it into "useable" muscle until I started with Ellington Darden's HIT training. I followed the plan EXACTLY as it was outlined in his book (diet and workout) and got all the way up to 199.2 pounds. Today, Im at about 175 and in the best shape of my life thanks to CrossFit (and martial arts).
Wow, great to hear of that, I've kind of been like how you were, always the taller guy but skinny. Always athletic and what not. Just never really took it seriously until maybe the start of the year.

Ahhh the legpress, one of my favourite leg machine excercises.

Good to see you got motivated, and the biggest thing followed your diet, thats almost the biggest thing in itself to get use too.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:09 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,253,321 times
Great stories...and it can go either way. I think most people think its always going to be fast or go exactly the way someone elses did and if it doesn't...they bail on thier goals.

So congrats for knowing what you want and not being afraid to dedicate more effort and time than you expected to.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:28 PM

4 posts, read 11,959 times
Congratulations.
In our "I wish, I was skinny" society, it's hard to get sympathy if you are a hard gainer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness