Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 03:53 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,000,438 times

Advertisements

Since about mid November, I have been unable to maintain my weight. I have gone from weighing 167-170 range over the summer and fall (170 I would consider my norm), to a high of 176 this morning, and I have been in the 173-176 range since Dec-Jan.

My problem in combating this is I am not sure exactly what the problem is that has slowed my metabolism, other than blaming the winter season for a slow down of my metabolism. My diet around the holidays I am sure is partly to blame, as it is hard to eat well through there. By now, however, my diet is back to normal and is back to normal (and basically follows alow carb, low sugar diet for the most part).

I supplement that with jogging as my main exercise, doing 5 miles a day in 45 minutes, 5 days a week on a treadmill, up a 2.5% grade. So I am getting a good workout too.

I just cannot seem to increase my metabolism, or burn enough to get my body to stop storing.

Any hints or tips? Wait it out a couple months to see if it reverses as we get into spring, and more vitamin D is available to wake my body up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 06:34 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,639,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Since about mid November, I have been unable to maintain my weight. I have gone from weighing 167-170 range over the summer and fall (170 I would consider my norm), to a high of 176 this morning, and I have been in the 173-176 range since Dec-Jan.

My problem in combating this is I am not sure exactly what the problem is that has slowed my metabolism, other than blaming the winter season for a slow down of my metabolism. My diet around the holidays I am sure is partly to blame, as it is hard to eat well through there. By now, however, my diet is back to normal and is back to normal (and basically follows alow carb, low sugar diet for the most part).

I supplement that with jogging as my main exercise, doing 5 miles a day in 45 minutes, 5 days a week on a treadmill, up a 2.5% grade. So I am getting a good workout too.

I just cannot seem to increase my metabolism, or burn enough to get my body to stop storing.

Any hints or tips? Wait it out a couple months to see if it reverses as we get into spring, and more vitamin D is available to wake my body up?
If it were me, I'd decrease my calorie intake for awhile.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:45 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,813,688 times
Try a food journal and write down every single thing you eat. Not only will it be enlightening, you will be able to pin point where your extra calories are coming from.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:05 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,937,110 times
Did you ever think of adding strength training to your exercise program? If I just do cardio like you are doing, I will not be able to maintain my weight.

Like the other posters said, you need to focus on the diet as well. "You can't out-exercise a bad diet" is my mantra and posted on my computer monitor at all times as a reminder.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:25 PM

632 posts, read 1,030,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post

I wouldnt worry too much about calorie intake right now if I were you. Instead, just focus on eating RIGHT. This means eating as healthy as you can and eliminating sugar wherever you can. Eliminate sugars from fruit, fruit drinks, breads, etc. If you normally put two cubes of sugar in your coffee, start now with just one cube.

Secondly, try to start increasing your time in your 5 mile run from 45 minutes, to 43 minutes, to 40 minutes and so on. Do these two things and Im sure you'll be just fine.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:16 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,000,438 times
Thanks for the tips!

Old 02-17-2013, 08:23 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,708,910 times
I give myself a 10 lb range. When it hits the top I just go zero junk and eat for my activity level. Goes away fast.

Your metabolism can slow a bit in winter due to less vitamin D in your system due to UV exposure.
It affects some so much that they may have to adjust their meds.

I agree to watch what you eat as already stated but you may just be one that gains the winter 5 that comes right back off in the spring. Try strength training at that time to see if it helps put it on lean tissue instead of fat gain.

Good luck.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:31 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,463,243 times
Same type of problem for me and I am definitely blaming winter. I've lost 49.1 lbs since August. Up until January I was losing over 2 lbs a week. Since January I have slowed right down. I am still obese and have at least another 50 to loose. I still eat low calories, 1200-1400 a day. I do cardio and strength training. I meet with a trainer once a week. I am doing everything right and have not lost weight in a couple of weeks. I have to keep telling myself I am better than I was and I cannot go crazy try to lose weight. I cannot do more than I am doing, as what I am doing is healthy. I just need to hang in there until my body decides to go beyond this plateau.

According to my body weight, calories in, and exercise, by all scientific formulas I should be losing 2 lbs a week. But I am losing none, bouncing around between 47-4 lbs down.

I say focus on health until the weather clears.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:39 AM

279 posts, read 508,250 times
Since you have winters like I do, I tend to get less exercise from just not being outdoors.

The 45 minutes sounds like you are doing steady state cardio? If so then your body is probably use to that and you may need to increase intensity whether it's speed or incline.

The best way is to log your food and activity level. Find out you maintenance to stay at the current weight and do a calorie deficit based on the maintenance. My fitnesspal.com or some others are good to use for this. I know some are less accurate but can't recall which is better.

Good luck, oh and make sure you weigh yourself the same time each day. Mornings are best

Old 02-17-2013, 08:47 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,463,243 times
I second my fitnesspal. I have it on my phone and ipod and log all the time. I have great friends on there and its a very positive site if you find the right people. We've all been through the same struggles and can understand where people are coming from. I have very supportive people in my real life but they can't really get it as they've never struggled like I do.

Also, in winter I usually gain 10 lbs or so, so the fact that I am maintaining the loss is a success.

And I weigh myself morning and night. I know its unhealthy but I just need to see myself officially hit that 50 lbs mark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness