Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 09:50 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,116,897 times

Advertisements

I struggle with the same thing in the winter..different numbers but same thing..

In fact, all my friends struggle more in the winter...

I have started using a light therapy gadget that I got from Amazon for $60 to see if
my winter blues & low energy are improved. I have used it a week and I do feel more energetic.
That makes me sit less which has to be a good thing...

The other thing I am going to try is fiber supplements. I have been reading research and taken
before meals they reduce appetite..

Brainstorm about winter/summer differences & list...

My list
more yard work and outside activities in summer
enjoy fresh veggies more in summer
less boredom eating in summer
less tv in summer
better mood in summer
drink more in summer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 04:13 PM

1,855 posts, read 3,634,380 times
Five days a week cardio might be excessive and causing you to plateau. Try dialing back for a month at 3x per week. Add in 1-2 days of resistance training.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:53 AM

178 posts, read 357,690 times
Drink green tea ! it has enormous ability to increase the metabolic rate. and packed full of other benefits. Also try some adding some strength training in your workout schedule.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:18 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,930,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Since about mid November, I have been unable to maintain my weight. I have gone from weighing 167-170 range over the summer and fall (170 I would consider my norm), to a high of 176 this morning, and I have been in the 173-176 range since Dec-Jan.

My problem in combating this is I am not sure exactly what the problem is that has slowed my metabolism, other than blaming the winter season for a slow down of my metabolism. My diet around the holidays I am sure is partly to blame, as it is hard to eat well through there. By now, however, my diet is back to normal and is back to normal (and basically follows alow carb, low sugar diet for the most part).

I supplement that with jogging as my main exercise, doing 5 miles a day in 45 minutes, 5 days a week on a treadmill, up a 2.5% grade. So I am getting a good workout too.

I just cannot seem to increase my metabolism, or burn enough to get my body to stop storing.

Any hints or tips? Wait it out a couple months to see if it reverses as we get into spring, and more vitamin D is available to wake my body up?
As Karen_S said, add weight lifting. Do it a minimum of 3-4 days per week, preferably 4. Include squats.

And mix up your work outs. Do something different each day. You don't need more cardio time, but perhaps you might want to try different types of cardio (biking, elliptical, jump-roping, stair master), or different types of running. Maybe mix in sprints, hill sprints, run stairs. If you have access to the biggest loser ladder, do it, totally awesome!!

Also, supplements do not increase your metabolism enough to cause weight loss regardless of what the label, marketing or Dr Oz claim.

Clean up your diet. The big rage is paleo. You might want to check that out.

Track your food intake using an online tracker, such as myfitnesspal, livestrong, sparkpeople. Just find one you like & use it. Commit to entering EVERYTHING you eat, even if you don't want to. If you don't know what you are really eating, then it's all just a guessing game.

Finally, weigh yourself regularly, like weekly. Many of the online food trackers allow you to track weight (water & activity) too. Determine your goal weight, and determine a "red flag" weight. When you are within 5 lbs of the red flag weight, this is the time to really keep track of what you are doing & make changes as necessary.... track all your food, cut out carbs at night, increase water, increase exercise, make sure you are getting 8 hours sleep...or whatever you determine is necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness