Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 04:05 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,370,475 times

Advertisements

Well, that is your opinion that most people disagree with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 04:53 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,301,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
Well, that is your opinion that most people disagree with.
It's hardly opinion, is it?

First and foremost we have to move ourselves before we can move anything else.

For your own sake, I hope your ego doesn't get in the way and allow you to injure yourself.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:45 PM

Well it's hardly a fact.

Obviously you didn't look at my factual links studying ELITE internationally ranked Olympic weightlifters and bone density...

Old 10-23-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post

Calesthenics actually builds up and protects your joints. Weight training can do the same thing, but I wonder if consistant heavy weight lifting puts too much stress on your body.
LOOKS LIKE A QUESTION TO ME.

So YOU DON'T KNOW!

thick.

Also, romanguy... I'm pretty sure "supplements" have advanced since the days of powerbars..might as well be comparing your rotary dial phones with smart phones

Old 10-23-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Well it's hardly a fact.

Obviously you didn't look at my factual links studying ELITE internationally ranked Olympic weightlifters and bone density...
Man, for your own sake, I just hope that your own ego doesn't lead to your downfall. Just be careful man. Good luck.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:07 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,829,916 times
I called this thread right away; the OP has a some sort of personal issue with people who lift weights.

Has nothing to do with weights, has something to do with a person being stronger than the OP, as the OP constantly puts "ego" into their replies, must be a self esteem issue as the OP sums up that all lifters have ego problems, that is why they lift, thus the OP now feel better as to why they do not lift.

If harping on people who lift weights helps you feel better about your self, go ahead, please do, but what you are doing here is posting incorrect information.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:13 PM

7,184 posts, read 9,237,876 times
Del Boy you seem to be bashing weightlifting vs calisthenics but are not providing any factual evidence. Where's the facts? Have you actually tried weightlifting? Have you actually lifted 400 lbs in any lift? If so which?

I haven't weightlifted that much but I still have had injuries. Golfers elbow came from bad form. A knee injury climbing stairs. Separated shoulder from trying to climb something I shouldn't have. Those injuries have had nothing to do with weights. The rehab for each of those included weights.

I'm not really for or against either form, weights or bodyweight. Whatever works. But your posts have the tone of "Don't lift weights! You'll break something!" Truth is live long enuff something is going to give anyway.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I called this thread right away; the OP has a some sort of personal issue with people who lift weights.

Has nothing to do with weights, has something to do with a person being stronger than the OP, as the OP constantly puts "ego" into their replies, must be a self esteem issue as the OP sums up that all lifters have ego problems, that is why they lift, thus the OP now feel better as to why they do not lift.

If harping on people who lift weights helps you feel better about your self, go ahead, please do, but what you are doing here is posting incorrect information.
That's not true. It's actually the opposite.

At one point, I could lift over 1000lbs with my three big lifts and was PFP one of the stongest people I knew.

It's just that it was ultimately ego that made me lift as much as I did. That's not to say I lifted more than I could reasonably lift, as I built up to those lifts gradually, but I do wonder if there are any long term ramifications assocaited with lifting heavy for roughly a decade and change.

I believe that advanced calesthenics are better for people in the long run and can make you incredibly strong without the use of an external force. Your body is lifted the way it was made to lift as it naturally aligns itself. It's good for the joints, as opposed to hard on them like excessive weights are.

I am sharing my experience because I'm hoping that people will look into heavyweight lifting and at least be cognicent that there can be some serious long term repercussions.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:26 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
Well it's hardly a fact.

Bones and joints are not the same thing.

Hips and knees are often replaced due to joint problems, not bone problems. Though osteoporosis can lead to fractures, those injuries are usually repaired without replacing the entire joint.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:50 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,921,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
Del Boy you seem to be bashing weightlifting vs calisthenics but are not providing any factual evidence. Where's the facts? Have you actually tried weightlifting? Have you actually lifted 400 lbs in any lift? If so which?

I haven't weightlifted that much but I still have had injuries. Golfers elbow came from bad form. A knee injury climbing stairs. Separated shoulder from trying to climb something I shouldn't have. Those injuries have had nothing to do with weights. The rehab for each of those included weights.

I'm not really for or against either form, weights or bodyweight. Whatever works. But your posts have the tone of "Don't lift weights! You'll break something!" Truth is live long enuff something is going to give anyway.
Would like to rep you, Loco, but have to spread the rep. You make some excellent points here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
Calesthenics are more natural. You lift in a way your body was designed to lift. Nothing external is included.

Calesthenics actually builds up and protects your joints. Weight training can do the same thing, but I wonder if consistant heavy weight lifting puts too much stress on your body.

I don't believe our joints were designed to lift up 400+ lbs consistantly for example.
Calisthenics can be a useful part of a fitness program. One reason is that some calisthenic exercises involve coordinated whole-body motions that develop the bodies ability to move naturally. I don't question the benefit of calisthenics. What I disagree with is the notion that lifting weights is always bad for you.

I also question the idea that there is always a difference in the motions involved in calisthenic or weight-lifting exercises. Take pull-ups versus lat pulls for example. You reach above your head, grab a bar, and pull the bar against resistance. I don't see that the motion is any different whether you're pulling yourself up to the bar or pulling a bar attached to weights down to you.

Interesting that you talk about what is natural. I've long thought that what our bodies are made to do is move the way we move when we perform physical labor. I'm not talking about any one activity, like digging in the garden or shoveling snow, but about the whole great variety of movements people make when they do physical labor for a living. If you think of farm work or some other form of labor done for one's livelihood as the model for how to exercise the human body, then it's probably best to perform a variety of movements at varying levels of intensity.

That includes heavy lifting. There are plenty of times you'll lift heavy objects (hay bales, machinery, heavy logs, milk canisters) if you live off of the land. Moving your own body is not the only motion you engage in if you live naturally. The greatest risk of injuries due to overuse, or wear and tear, is more likely to come from repeating the same few movements workout after workout than simply from lifting heavy.

A smart lifter understands the conditioning benefits of mixing up the workouts from time to time. Avoiding overuse injuries is another good reason to do this, but lifting heavy weights is not by itself a problem. Think about the activities of people who work with their hands, and you'll realize that these include lifting heavy objects. Heavy lifting is not a problem in itself. The problems come from trying for too much weight too soon (before you're in condition for that much weight), and from endless repetitions of a very limited number of motions. Both can be avoided with a well planned workout regimen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness