Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 09:46 AM

4,050 posts, read 2,131,639 times

Advertisements

My issue pertains to water aerobics, but perhaps others of you who do group exercise can relate and advise me. I am a very fit 58 yo female who takes water aerobic classes at the gym. I take other classes (yoga, pilates, Zumba, Latin fusion, weights, barbells, kickboxing, and step) but I try to do water aerobics a few times a week as well. I like the water. I like the low impact as an addition to the higher impact things I do. I like the instructor; she is like a boot camp sergeant!

The class is considered appropriate for all levels. But the majority of people in the class are my age or older and many have physical limitations. Few of them take any other classes than water aerobics. Although the instructor is tough, they can work at their own level and the water is kinder to their limitations.

I don't mind having slower people around me---but the others mind my speed and power! There is one in particular who refers to me as "the shark" and rolls her eyes when I get close to her. I've never run into her. When we go backwards, I almost get whiplash looking behind me to make sure I don't run into her. When I get close to her, I go backwards/in the other direction, to give her more time to proceed forward. She tells me to slow down. Today I tried to slow it down and concentrate more on power---going backwards doing jumping jacks, this created some splashing. She actually stopped moving and was shielding her face and hair with her hands complaining I was getting her wet. Hello---it's a pool---wet hair can come with the territory!

For some reason, she chooses to stand behind me, even though there are other places that she can stand. Today I got so tired of the eye rolling (she catches the eye of other, slower classmates) and the complaints about splashing her that I left the pool for a few minutes. I spoke to her about it. Her reply was "There are other people in the pool." I replied, "I understand that. I'm not running into anyone. But the complaints and eye rolling are getting old." She then replied, "Peace! Peace be with you!"

The instructor has seen much of this and promises to speak to her.

Has anyone had similar issues? How would you handle this? I am tempted to not continue with water aerobics since I am capable of doing the other classes and these slow women are not---but I truly do enjoy water aerobics and the cross-training.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 11:09 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Water aerobics classes at my gym are attended by older, heavier women. I have never seen a fit woman take the class. The women all seem to having a great time and its really more of a social outlet for them. I think if you want to get a good workout while swimming start doing laps. If you like a class atmosphere take a masters swim class.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:18 AM

17,372 posts, read 16,511,485 times
Maybe you could offer to teach an advanced fitness water aerobics class. Fit people with joint problems/injuries might appreciate a more challenging class. Younger people with weight issues might also want something invigorating but low impact.

And it might be nice to get paid doing what you love to do.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:39 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
I love to mix it up, too. Too bad you're having trouble with one person in the class. I'd probably be evil and splash away.

The problem isn't you or the class or the instructor -- it's one particular person. Is there another class you can go to, or does she go to them all? I know gym pools aren't really all that big, but is there any way you can avoid her?

Old 05-07-2012, 12:00 PM

Springfieldva, good ideas.
Ohiogirl, I love that you would splash that particular person! What I really want to do is get a shark headdress/mask and have the instructor play the music to Jaws (since she calls me that).
Lucky, you are right---it is mostly older, heavy women---but you really can get a great workout that combines strength, flexibility, and cardio. There were a few minor league athletes who took a class and they were impressed with the workout you can get.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:42 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Springfieldva, good ideas.
Ohiogirl, I love that you would splash that particular person! What I really want to do is get a shark headdress/mask and have the instructor play the music to Jaws (since she calls me that).
Lucky, you are right---it is mostly older, heavy women---but you really can get a great workout that combines strength, flexibility, and cardio. There were a few minor league athletes who took a class and they were impressed with the workout you can get.
Lap swimming provides all three of those in spades. Since you do a lot of other classes why not give lap swimming a try? Personally I love the solitude of it. And since it is a challenging aerobic workout you can always push yourself farther. Swimming fitness also spills over into everything else. Your breathing will improve and so will your stamina. You can get great looking arms and shoulders as well.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:35 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
I agree with Lucky. If you are that advanced and enjoy the water - Masters swimming would be for you or simply doing laps in an open pool.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:10 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
It is fabulous that you are fit and able to be 'the shark'. I agree with the other posters that this isn't the right class for you. You do have every right to take it, however, put yourself in the other person's shoes.

Many of the people in that class don't have an option to take other classes. They shouldn't (but probably do) feel intimidated by you and that they are not as 'good' as you are. It is a chance for them to get into the water and move their muscles.

Or perhaps stand in the very back of the class where no one will really see you? It isn't fair, but group exercise classes can be like that. Good luck!

Old 05-08-2012, 07:59 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,710,836 times
She is being disruptive to the class and stupid for not moving. Its almost like she is looking for a fight if she saddles up next to you when there is plenty of room elsewhere. I would just ignore her and go about my class. She would be nothing to me. If she is so repulsed she can move. You are not doing anything wrong by following the class.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:03 PM

Lucky, maybe I should consider the lap swimming. I'm not that great a swimmer, but maybe I can improve that and it can be a new challenge.

Thanks, ops! I've yet to figure out why she always chooses to stand by me. Maybe it's more fun to complain about me!

Veuvegirl, I truly do understand about some people not having the option to take another class. And I do realize that some people are doing the best they can. I have been totally respectful of this woman. I have never asked her to move more quickly. I've never rolled my eyes at her! She is the one with the issue with me. I like being supportive of everyone, regardless of their fitness level. And there is no reason for her to be intimidated. We are all at different levels. It is just some luck and good genetics that I can move better than she can be---in addition to the effort I put in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness