Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 10:08 PM

196 posts, read 564,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
If someone (especially a woman) is just starting to work out with weights, 3 or 5 pound dumbbells could very well be a challenge for them and fatigue their muscles. Then when she gets used to working with weights and those get easier, she can move up to heavier weights.
Hmmm... My purse weighs more.. 5 lbs would fatigue the muscles that never lifted a pillow..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 10:46 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,853,951 times
Especially if you're doing a "pyramid routine" and doing FAST reps as well - even a light weight can get "heavy" by the end of the routine, and moving up 2 lbs CAN definitely be a strain for some, until they're used to it.

Sure pick up a 5 lb weight and it's nothing - but do 50 fast reps and let us know how "light" it feels then.

We're not ALL bodybuilders like Arnie and Sly........... I couldn't benchpress 200 pounds if my LIFE depended on it = )

Old 07-19-2010, 10:55 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,995,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I have been working out regularly with three pound weights and I just moved up to five pound weights. I notice a difference in those weights, but, will that help me define my muscles a little more? I have totally noticed muscles in the last six months, but, I figure it is really time to bump it up.
It is beyond time to bump it up. My 2 year old can easily lift 3 - 5 pound weights. You need to do at the very very very very very minimum 20 to 30 pound dumbbells.

20 pounds for shoulder presses and curls.
30 pounds (or heavier even) for dumbbell deadlifts, cleans, squats.

That is, 20 to 30 pounds only if you are in extremely poor shape. If you are in normal/average shape, you'll need to go heavier to see any results.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:29 PM

You don't NEED heavy weights if you're after toning and definition - we're not all about building mass

Old 07-20-2010, 07:40 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,756,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Sorry, but you're misinformed - there are PLENTY of slim/skinny people with ZERO definition.
I see what he's saying, though. If your body fat is too high, you will not see any definition, no matter how muscular you are.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:47 AM

3,048 posts, read 5,010,057 times
Quote:
Sorry, but you're misinformed - there are PLENTY of slim/skinny people with ZERO definition.
Because they don't lift weights and have no MUSCLE. Not because they don't 'tone'

Old 07-20-2010, 08:40 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,995,359 times
Quote:
You don't NEED heavy weights if you're after toning and definition - we're not all about building mass
Heavy is relative. But, for the average person/woman, 20 to 30 pound weights are NOT heavy.

You really do not know much about working out/exercise do you. For toning and definition a person needs to 1) Have a super clean nutrition plan; 2) Do lots of cardio, preferably early morning cardio on empty stomach which is proven to be better and high intensity (HIIT) cardio at that; and finally 3) Resistance training which means WEIGHT training, not can of Cambells soup lifting.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:56 AM

78,644 posts, read 60,823,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I have been working out regularly with three pound weights and I just moved up to five pound weights. I notice a difference in those weights, but, will that help me define my muscles a little more? I have totally noticed muscles in the last six months, but, I figure it is really time to bump it up.
Bump them up and listen to Lola.

I use lighter hand weights on power walks etc. and they work great.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:07 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,175,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Bump them up and listen to Lola.

I use lighter hand weights on power walks etc. and they work great.
U r a sweetie. Lighter weights combined with cardio are great for shedding fat...its pretty simple actually.....lighter weights can tone.....more weight can build but everyones definition of high and low is different.....its all about where u are and where u want to b....its specific....and I just typed this entire thing from my droid! Hahahaha just sayin....its pretty cool.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Heavy is relative. But, for the average person/woman, 20 to 30 pound weights are NOT heavy.

You really do not know much about working out/exercise do you. For toning and definition a person needs to 1) Have a super clean nutrition plan; 2) Do lots of cardio, preferably early morning cardio on empty stomach which is proven to be better and high intensity (HIIT) cardio at that; and finally 3) Resistance training which means WEIGHT training, not can of Cambells soup lifting.

LMAO - apparently not (according to you) - I've been using free weights for a LONG time (possibly even longer than you've been alive), not to mention cardio and RESISTANCE routines........ but whatever
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness