Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 11:30 AM

652 posts, read 1,276,036 times

Advertisements

I have a question about free weights. Everybody is talking about doing free weights at the gym. I use machines and increase weights by 5 lbs in between sets. Usually free weights go 10lb inclements. I can't do exercises (shoulders lateral raise etc) going from let's say 10lbs to 20lbs for the 2nd set. Can you guys give me some input. I really want to start using free weights instead of machines. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 11:39 AM

968 posts, read 2,588,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katalin View Post
I have a question about free weights. Everybody is talking about doing free weights at the gym. I use machines and increase weights by 5 lbs in between sets. Usually free weights go 10lb inclements. I can't do exercises (shoulders lateral raise etc) going from let's say 10lbs to 20lbs for the 2nd set. Can you guys give me some input. I really want to start using free weights instead of machines. Thank you.

do more sets of 10lbs until you build up your strength. Or find free weights in 5lb increments.

Increasing weight like that with those iso moves is going to be tough. Its more important and beneficial when doing your bigger compound stuff as free weights work stabilixer muscles when doing compounds.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:58 AM

Default re

what do you mean by this? thank you.

"Its more important and beneficial when doing your bigger compound stuff as free weights work stabilixer muscles when doing compounds.[/quote]"

Old 03-04-2009, 12:01 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
Quote:
I can't do exercises (shoulders lateral raise etc) going from let's say 10lbs to 20lbs for the 2nd set. Can you guys give me some input. I really want to start using free weights instead of machines. Thank you.
Usually gyms have them in 5lb increments. You should be using heavier weight anyway. Just make the jump and decrease the number of reps in each set. You should be doing 8-10 reps per set anyway. If you can do more than 10 reps then you are not using enough weight.

Please tell me you are not doing the high rep low weight "does-absolutely-nothing-for-you" type workouts.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:

"Its more important and beneficial when doing your bigger compound stuff as free weights work stabilixer muscles when doing compounds.
"[/quote]

ok take for example a bench press. You can either do it with a machine or with free weights.

Doing this with free weights is beneficial because you will struggle more to stabilize the barbell. Rather than a machine with automatically stabilizes the weight and takes any struggle for fluid movement out of the lift.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:02 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Usually gyms have them in 5lb increments. You should be using heavier weight anyway. Just make the jump and decrease the number of reps in each set. You should be doing 8-10 reps per set anyway. If you can do more than 10 reps then you are not using enough weight.

Please tell me you are not doing the high rep low weight "does-absolutely-nothing-for-you" type workouts.
no i am not doing high rep. but my gym has only 10lbs increments. when i do the lateral raises it's hard to jump by 10lbs so i guess the second set should be 5-6 reps? i don't think i could do more and the third set another 10lbs increase with 4-5 reps?

Old 03-04-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
no i am not doing high rep. but my gym has only 10lbs increments. when i do the lateral raises it's hard to jump by 10lbs so i guess the second set should be 5-6 reps? i don't think i could do more and the third set another 10lbs increase with 4-5 reps?

My personal belief is if you can't do 3 sets of 12 reps then don't up the weight.

But thats my style I know many are different.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:11 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,163,418 times
Quote:

"Its more important and beneficial when doing your bigger compound stuff as free weights work stabilixer muscles when doing compounds.
"[/quote]

It means that when you do free weights you are not only working the targeted muscles but you are increasing your core strength because free weights force you to balance thus, using core muscles. I do love free weights however; there are some machines that work just as well. For instance; leg curls and leg extensions....most gyms have two types of machines for this....choose the machines that allow you to set a weight stack for each leg....this requires the same amount of training for each leg instead of one leg doing 60 or even 70 percent of the work and it also requires more ab work (huge part of core strength).

Old 03-09-2009, 04:28 PM

622 posts, read 3,112,805 times
In your example, usinf laterals for shoulders, you should be doing some kind of heavier pressing movement first. The shoulder press with barbell or dumbells would be the movement to concentrate on adding thwe "10 pounds" to. Then your second movement could be laterals and possibly bent laterals.

You don't really need all three (or two) movements to be "mass builders" so to speak.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:14 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJersey? View Post
In your example, usinf laterals for shoulders, you should be doing some kind of heavier pressing movement first. The shoulder press with barbell or dumbells would be the movement to concentrate on adding thwe "10 pounds" to. Then your second movement could be laterals and possibly bent laterals.

You don't really need all three (or two) movements to be "mass builders" so to speak.
so you are saying if i do 3-4sets of shoulders all 3-4 sets can be different exercises.
lets say first set is shoulder press at 30lbs
second set is shoulder press at 40lbs
third set is side lateral at 25lbs
fourth set is side lateral at 30lbs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness