Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 02:39 PM

5 posts, read 11,385 times

Advertisements

How do you find architecture as a profession in Stockholm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 03:38 PM

3 posts, read 6,218 times
Well my friend....

THAT kind of cityyou wont find here in Portugal.

Believe me! I've searched enough

Old 05-27-2008, 08:53 AM

15 posts, read 48,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMonster View Post
Europe usually has a pretty good transportation system. However, unemployment is very high and costs are very high as well.
This is a generalized statement and not true at all.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:17 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,986,734 times
Sounds like you're looking for a little place called "Utopia". It doesn't exist, but if it did, I think it would be really, really expensive!

Old 05-31-2008, 07:42 AM

30 posts, read 110,054 times
iKan wrote
Quote:
I can use some advice and assistance from individuals who have lived in Europe. I'm searching for a European city and I don't think visiting is enough, someone has to live somewhere to understand everything about a country. I'm searching for a place with:

1. low crime, little poverty, and most importantly clean
2. people: welcoming, worldly, fashionable, kind and easy to get to know, NOT racist
3. a great transportation system
4. a good job market and opportunities for immigrants
5. not very expensive, not too small, and a good school I can go to and earn my education.

maybe my expectations are high and the place I'm describing is utopia or awaits us after we pass away but I'm sure that there's a place that comes pretty close. the most important for me are the people.
Most cities in Europe have their neat, clean places, and so there are neighborhoods where it is dirty, smelly,...
I lived in Brussels for about 10 years and this is a city that is known for being dirty, no jobs, lots of immigrants,...
I never had any trouble finding a job, I lived in different neighborhoods, with different cultures together and had never problems with them.
Though, I wouldn't recommend it to native English speakers because you have to be at least bi lingual (Dutch, French) to get a good job there. Or working for an international company, or European union.

As far for Belgian cities, I'd say Ghent is the closest to your dreams;-)
It is clean, people are friendly, not too expensive yet, it is close to a lot of other big cities, public transport is fair. It is also a student city (lots of colleges and univ).

I like London a lot but it is a wayyyy too expensive!
Some German cities are cool, but have no experienced living there.

Anyway, you'll see that you might have to lower your expectations a little...it'll never be perfect!

Old 06-02-2008, 03:53 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,936,994 times
I'm thinking Amsterdam...one of the really open-minded cities in the EU.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:20 PM

195 posts, read 648,493 times
Stockholm, Sweden

Old 06-07-2008, 08:22 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,723,520 times
Are you intending to move as a student? Worker?

A stay in most EU countries over 90 days requires more than you might imagine. On a tourist passport you cannot work or attend school or visit the EU for more than 90 days.

Beyond the 90 days you would need residency/temporary residency permits or student visa or work visa. Do you have a plan or method to acquire these requisite documents? Do you know what the document requirements are for your adventure?

Since you're asking about climate and 'fashionability' I'm betting you haven't researched the difficulty of packing off and living in Europe. You would want to check into the practical realities of international immigration. It is very difficult.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:24 PM

3 posts, read 7,994 times
I prefer Italy over Germany any day. lol. Being I use to live in Germany and Italy. I love Italy and can't wait to go back.

Old 06-10-2008, 03:30 AM

281 posts, read 1,379,356 times
This link might be of interest for you. Survey shows top50 cities worldwide based on standard of living:

Highlights from the 2007 Quality of Living Survey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe