Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2020, 05:13 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times

Advertisements

(I thought I remember being told that originally they limited hours long ago to combat alcoholism, but maybe I'm wrong.)

What Is Britain Without the Pub?
It may seem trivial, but the closing of pubs is unprecedented for Britain. Never before in the history of the country have the pubs been closed outright..
https://hotwnews.com/what-is-britain-without-the-pub/
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2020, 04:48 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,178 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
(I thought I remember being told that originally they limited hours long ago to combat alcoholism, but maybe I'm wrong.)

What Is Britain Without the Pub?
It may seem trivial, but the closing of pubs is unprecedented for Britain. Never before in the history of the country have the pubs been closed outright..
https://hotwnews.com/what-is-britain-without-the-pub/
The Government started limiting pub hours as part of the Defence of the Realm Act was passed by Parliament in 1914 (this was not fully repealed until 1988), but this not to curb alcoholism but to prevent workers from munitions/srmament factories and shipyards etc from getting drunk during the day during WW1, as the country needed mass production of weapons made by sober workers.

How World War I Changed Pub Culture, and Beer Itself

The limited hours were eased slighly after the war but it wasn't until fairly recent times that the pubs opened all day, including the 1988 Licensing Act (1976 n Scotland) which allowed the pubs to open from 11am to 11pm again, and the Licesing Act 2005 which alloewed even greater opening hours and flexibility.

Licensing Act 1988 - Wikipedia

Licensing Act 2003 - Wikipedia

Last edited by Brave New World; 04-29-2020 at 04:59 AM..

Old 04-30-2020, 08:23 PM

7,348 posts, read 4,134,790 times
Now bars are closed for coronavirus. Why the government allows takeout food and not alcohol is surprising. Many USA cities are allowing restaurants (with liquor licenses) to do carryout cocktails, wine and beer.

Old 04-30-2020, 08:44 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,007,169 times
Yes we can buy alcohol from restaurants in Texas but it has to be to go.

Old 05-01-2020, 03:18 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,178 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Now bars are closed for coronavirus. Why the government allows takeout food and not alcohol is surprising. Many USA cities are allowing restaurants (with liquor licenses) to do carryout cocktails, wine and beer.
Pubs can sell off sales, and you can oreder home delivery of every kind of alchohol imaginable, whilst some breweries have even introduced drive throughs.

Pubs are only closed due to social distancing, however overall alcohol sales have actuallytincreased massively as a result of the lockdown.

Brewery opens drive-thru for Brits to pick up beer without leaving car - Metro

Old 05-01-2020, 08:06 AM

7,348 posts, read 4,134,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Pubs are only closed due to social distancing, however overall alcohol sales have actually increased massively as a result of the lockdown.
Any wonder?

In Washington DC, my son picks up Mexico food with a frozen margarita in a plastic cup. Sounds too good to stop after the lockdowns!

The original link said
Quote:
Pubs have been granted permission to sell food for carryout, but no alcohol.
Obviously it isn't true. Thanks Brave New World for clarifying.

Old 05-04-2020, 04:21 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
I don't think it's surprising to try to block drinking. I'm guessing there's a natural tendency to drink more during the crisis, and it's a good idea not to encourage it. We can guess that someone who is impaired is less likely to be cautious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe