Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 09:50 AM

14,823 posts, read 12,073,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I think it's not only about looks, but as much in how people behave, what clothes they wear, hairstyles and so on.

I've worked at Helsinki Airport where I encountered literally hundreds if not thousands of foreigners every day, and though I learnt to tell in many cases, I was often as wrong as right. Some nationalities, like Chinese, Japanese and Russians are easy to tell, but not if you're German for example.
Now there may be some truth in this - but you simply cannot tell where somebody is from just from how they look (naked).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 10:15 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,867,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Now there may be some truth in this - but you simply cannot tell where somebody is from just from how they look (naked).
No, not necessarily, but a combination of these factors may.

If a person has a leather jacket, trashy jeans or Adidas track pants, a distinct look, flashy jewels and hair combed forward, while his wife has a lot of fur, high heels on wintery streets and a ton of makeup -> they're Russian.

Old 07-16-2015, 03:32 PM

2,467 posts, read 2,627,494 times
yes, to some extent, if we're talking about just an individual.
yes, to a large extent, if we're talking about groups.

It's very hard to pinpoint the exact country, but you can usually tell if someone is from scandinavia, or the Uk, or eastern european, etc....

Old 07-16-2015, 03:39 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,494,532 times
Generally not, but I can difference a Polish and a Greek usually, until I find one of them who is "out of the typical look" (more and more usually every time in my experience) and I am confused again.

In Europe there are a lot of people who doesn't look like any country or specific area.

Old 07-16-2015, 05:01 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,685,124 times
Been in Germany for a few months already now, so much different from back home in Canada where there it is a mix of various European backgrounds.

Can easily tell if someone is non-german, like from Poland or elsewhere. I have guessed correctly numerous times. "kak dela" and then they reply.

Old 07-17-2015, 05:59 AM

14,823 posts, read 12,073,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarzan_taborda View Post

It's very hard to pinpoint the exact country, but you can usually tell if someone is from scandinavia, or the Uk, or eastern european, etc....
No you cannot, nobody seems to have any clue where I am from when I've travelled.......until I open my mouth. Britons are a VERY diverse looking people. The only thing that might give somebody's nationality away could be the way they dress, or act perhaps? But certainly NOT from the way they look!

Old 07-18-2015, 02:24 AM

12 posts, read 12,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I think it's not only about looks, but as much in how people behave, what clothes they wear, hairstyles and so on.

I've worked at Helsinki Airport where I encountered literally hundreds if not thousands of foreigners every day, and though I learnt to tell in many cases, I was often as wrong as right. Some nationalities, like Chinese, Japanese and Russians are easy to tell, but not if you're German for example.

That's it, clothes, haistyles..how they walk, how they hung together. Easiest are, as you said, Asians, Russians..and Italians, you can spot an Italian by the way they move. French also, as they have a very specific gestuality. Germans, unless they travel in group, abteilungs. English, lack of sun, awful clothing..and yes, hairstyles...Americans, screeching, shrilling accent, don't know how to walk in crowded areas.

But "ethnicity", not really, more by "Carrefour", "Decathon", "Liddle", etc.

Old 07-18-2015, 03:26 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,357,317 times
I am working at a District Court in a not so awesome district of Vienna right now, so naturally we have to deal with lots of immigrants. Frankly, I can't tell the difference in most cases except when they are stereotypically dressed, wear weird makeup or when they are Roma.

Old 07-18-2015, 05:33 AM

363 posts, read 481,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarzan_taborda View Post

So where are they from?

Old 07-18-2015, 06:08 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,616,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
Been in Germany for a few months already now, so much different from back home in Canada where there it is a mix of various European backgrounds.

Can easily tell if someone is non-german, like from Poland or elsewhere. I have guessed correctly numerous times. "kak dela" and then they reply.
From looks or by dress or behavior?

There seemed to be a bit of a German look and dress style, but many were dressed rather casually not that different from Americans, Spanish were quite a bit more different. I thought many looked similar to Americans. When my mom did study abroad in Germany, her accent wasn't that strong so was mistaken for Dutch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe