Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 07:42 PM

75 posts, read 142,208 times

Advertisements

Hello! I'm thinking about going study to Barcelona or Madrid next year, and I'd like to know a couple of things. Currently I live in Toronto, Canada. First I'd like to know about the cost of living. I know in general, Europe is much more expensive than America, but...Toronto is a very expensive city so I believe it must be about the same as Barcelona or Madrid in terms of cost of living, but I don't know. Does anyone have any clue which city is more expensive?
Also, what's the weather like in Barcelona? How cold and long are the winters? Is Barcelona warmer than Madrid? Weather is a big deal for me, I hate cold weather so the warmer, the better.
And well, if anyone has lived in any of these cities I'd like to hear about your experiences, if you liked the city, which would you prefer (Barcelona or Madrid) and why?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 04:32 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,451,069 times
Hi bubalu, I know Madrid quite well but not Barcelona. The weather in Barcelona is definetely warmer in winter and probably cooler in summer than Madrid, so if it is so important for you I would suggest you go to Barcelona. I have never lived in Toronto so I do not know about the cost of living there but I can compare Spain with Italy, the UK and France and it is still relatively cheaper. It also depends where you go in Spain and what type of lifestyle you want to lead. In Madrid you can still have at lunch time a complete meal for less than 10euros. You can sit in a bar and have an aperitive for 2 euros. Having said so prices are raising everywhere due to oil prices. A number of Americans I know (I have not met canadians living in Madrid) find Europe a lot more expensive that the US but I wonder if it is due to the weakeness of the dollar.
I've enjoyed living in Madrid. Spain in general has a nice relax pace despite the very odd working hours. I love the way people treat children and welcome them everywhere.
I found difficult the amount of people smoking everywhere but this is sloooowly changing.
If you go to Barcelona you need to be aware that in Cataluña (the region where Barcelona is situated) are very stron on regional language, so much so that it is the main language used in schools.
Anyway, I hope you will enjoy your time there and good luck

Old 01-15-2008, 03:46 AM

48 posts, read 151,661 times
Barcelona Barcelona Barcelona!

I lived in Spain for a year as part of my uni course. I lived about a 4 hour coach drive from Barcelona but visited it 3 or 4 times, and still can't get enough.

I also visited Madrid a lot as that's where my flights came in and also I had a friend there so I'd visit.

I know that Madrid accomodation is expensive compared to the rest of Spain, I can't remember exactly how much but it was like double where I was staying. I expect Barcelona, being Barcelona is more expensive than other cities, but I don't think it would be as expensive as Madrid. I can easily ask my Spanish friends if you do want to know amounts, I think I paid about 230Euro a month when I was there (my memory is rubbish) but i was in a proper nice place, like really nice! But i wasnt in Madrid or Barce. Mind you I was in a sort of expensive area.

I definately think that Barcelona would be a better place to live, so much culture and the atmosphere is great. Madrid is a lot more sort of serious, I can't explain it very well but it's less relaxed I guess. It is very city-like, orientated around business etc...where as Barcelona....I'd absolutely love to spend a year living there, I'd not like to spend a year in Madrid.

It's pretty hot in both Madrid and Spain in the summer, but with Barcelona you get a bit of a breeze and the sea of course... I'm sure it's easy enough for you to look up temperatures online somewhere though.

Eating out is cheap, if you go to the right places, for example in Barcelona, don't eat in las ramblas! unless you feel like splashing out! But at uni you'd meet people who know where to go.

Bear in mind I'm from the UK, so everything overseas is cheap to me.

But Yeah, choose Barce. As for the language, are you going to uni to learn spanish or do you already have it? You'll be fine there with Spanish, english even, but it's always easier to fit in if you have the lingo....I'd not worry about Catalan, maybe look into the uni first, but if you have french (im making an assumption here) and you know some spanish then you'll understand it fine. Besides the best way to learn a language is to go to the country, it's so much easier then, and why not go back to Canada with 2 languages?

Obviously if you are going to uni to study law, and they are going to be teaching it in Catalan, and You only know castillian, then you may have a problem!

Old 01-15-2008, 06:03 AM

49 posts, read 250,299 times
Hello and congratulations on your study abroad. I lived in Madrid as a child so I cannot tell you about pricing though I do believe Barcelona is more expensive. but I do know that the weather in Madrid is dry and hot for the most part. In the winter I think I saw it snow one time before the sun quickly put that away It never got very cold at all in Madrid and I like you hate cold weather so Madrid was great for me.
Sorry I could not contribute to help more but I hope that you have fun

Old 01-16-2008, 11:18 PM

21 posts, read 153,304 times
If you are planning to study in the country, then you can stay in Chueca which also happens to be my favourite area besides being inexpensive. Also, Salamanca is supposed to be a very nice place but is more pricey. Hope the information helps. All the best with your studies.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:39 AM

1 posts, read 17,848 times
can anyone tell me exactly how many euros need per month in madrid?

Old 05-19-2009, 03:17 AM

7 posts, read 26,159 times
Been to both and Barcelona gets my vote,it has a lot going for it.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:58 AM

24 posts, read 87,216 times
Barcelona, definitely! Great weather. In Madrid you'd get horrible snowy winters, and extremely hot summers!
Also, Barcelona is much prettier

Old 06-13-2009, 10:35 AM

221 posts, read 535,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass-Stained Feet View Post
Bear in mind I'm from the UK, so everything overseas is cheap to me.
what?

unless you are from London, I dont see how this can be the case at all.

pretty much all of europe, except for Spain, Greece, Italy and eastern europe is more expensive than the UK.

as for the TC: I think Barcelona will have more of a relaxed lifestyle, while Madrid is more like a vibrant big city and financial center that is more stressfull etc..

besides, barcelona has a beach.. and its closer to the rest of europe (french riveria etc), so the answer should be simple unless youre a huge sucker for big cities!!

you should rent a car one holiday and go for a ride along the beachside all the way to geneva in italy

Old 01-31-2010, 10:09 AM

312 posts, read 909,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City of Rain View Post
what?

unless you are from London, I dont see how this can be the case at all.

pretty much all of europe, except for Spain, Greece, Italy and eastern europe is more expensive than the UK.

as for the TC: I think Barcelona will have more of a relaxed lifestyle, while Madrid is more like a vibrant big city and financial center that is more stressfull etc..

besides, barcelona has a beach.. and its closer to the rest of europe (french riveria etc), so the answer should be simple unless youre a huge sucker for big cities!!

you should rent a car one holiday and go for a ride along the beachside all the way to geneva in italy
Maybe Norway and Iceland is a little more expensive than the UK.
and France, Germany, Belgium, Suisse, Austria and Denmark in the same range. ALL the other ones are cheaper.

OnT: I would also like to know a little more about the differences between Madrid and Barcelona, besides weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe