Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2020, 02:30 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,231,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Just wanted to point out the main foci of of coronavirus in the US is in Seattle which is considerably further north than New York City.
Yes you are right. Latitude of Wuhan is about 30, which is significantly less than Seattle. Although it is possible the virus is moving to the north with warming. I have to check out Italy and Spain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2020, 02:33 PM

Madrid and Rome have a latitude like New York.

+ I open 1000 page!

Old 03-11-2020, 02:46 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Because they recognize that he's an airhead. Airheads are convenient, because they can be easy to manipulate or fool (some people may think).

Sanders?
An airhead?
No, he is not an "airhead" Ruth - he is an idealist.

And idealists with convictions ( plus the followers) are actually the people that are difficult to manipulate.

( Trump by the way understands it too.)

Last edited by erasure; 03-11-2020 at 03:02 PM..

Old 03-11-2020, 03:09 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
You must improve the quality of your propaganda.

The United States has a Gini coefficient of 0.485.
The Russia has a Gini coefficient of 0.412.
Richest 3% of Russians own 90% of financial assets in Russia (according to Russian state owned VEB bank). This is a higher ratio than anywhere in the world. 23 people in Russia are worth 270 billion, that's 15% of Russia's GDP. Nowhere else in the world has figures like that. Is it propaganda to tell the truth? Russia is being looted and you're trained to cheer for it.

Old 03-11-2020, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Richest 3% of Russians own 90% of financial assets in Russia (according to Russian state owned VEB bank). This is a higher ratio than anywhere in the world. 23 people in Russia are worth 270 billion, that's 15% of Russia's GDP. Nowhere else in the world has figures like that. Is it propaganda to tell the truth? Russia is being looted and you're trained to cheer for it.
I gave a link showing that Russia is in the middle of the list. Better than in the USA.

Old 03-11-2020, 05:42 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Sanders?
An airhead?
No, he is not an "airhead" Ruth - he is an idealist.

And idealists with convictions ( plus the followers) are actually the people that are difficult to manipulate.

( Trump by the way understands it too.)
You say "to-may-to", I say "to-mah-t0". It's easy to spout slogans and make wild promises that have no way of ever coming to fruition, IOW--telling people what (some of them at least ) want to hear. Bernie doesn't know how to implement his own policies. He was invited by very supportive journalists of a major newspaper the last time he ran, to explain how his proposals would work: the nuts and bolts of which agencies would handle the various aspects of his programs, and he wasn't able to do that. He couldn't answer their questions. They weren't able to run the feature article on him, that they'd planned.

That's a pretty good example of an airhead. All talk and dreams. No substance.

Old 03-11-2020, 06:11 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,452,962 times
I searched this extremely long, tightly contained thread and could not find "2036," and I'd like to know more about what I saw, heard and read today, that Russian lawmakers have approved changes to let Putin stay in power until 2036

RUSSIANS HAVE RIGHT TO FEEL 'CHEATED' BY MOVE TO ALLOW PUTIN STAY IN POWER UNTIL 2036, SAYS CONSTITUTION AUTHOR

"A political scientist who helped draft Russia's current constitution has said that the Russian people have the right to feel "cheated" by lawmakers supporting amendments to the document which pave the way for President Vladimir Putin to stay in power until 2036.

On Wednesday the Kremlin-controlled lower house, the State Duma, approved by 383-0 with 43 abstentions, to amend the constitution which in its current form mandates Putin to stand down in 2024, the Associated Press reported."

https://www.newsweek.com/russia-vlad...idency-1491664

"Both houses of Russian parliament overwhelmingly backed constitutional changes allowing Vladimir Putin to run for president again in 2024 on Wednesday.

The amendment could keep Putin in power until 2036 if he won and completed two more terms as president, making him ruler of Russia for 36 years, the longest in the country’s modern history."

https://www.foxnews.com/world/russia...wer-until-2036

What do average Russians who live in Russia feel about this?

How do posters here feel about this?

Old 03-11-2020, 06:46 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
OPEC had requested Russia curtail its production to prop up US shale

Russia's Rejection Of OPEC+ Was The Result Of Cold Geostrategic Calculations

It looks suspiciously like a war maneuver that shale has been operating without a profit for over a decade. The opposite tack is to impose sanctions or trade embargoes, which the US uses heavily as part of war.

Old 03-11-2020, 07:31 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
I gave a link showing that Russia is in the middle of the list. Better than in the USA.
No its not better than the USA. You are looking only at the gini co-efficient (mostly income based on an average) and ignoring more relevant facts. A coefficient used on a high income country like the USA vs a low income country like Russia is not comparing apples to apples. The gini also ignores tax burdens which are far higher on wealthy Americans than on wealthy Russians with their flat tax and widespread evasion schemes. Using the % of wealth owned by those at the top is a more accurate way to determine wealth inequality, which is shockingly high in Russia compared to anywhere in the western world. For example overall wealth held by the upper 10% is much more in Russia than in the USA. It's not my problem. I'm just pointing out that Putin made his deal to be their protector and part of his ploy is to convince people not to riot about their lack of government services as they are at war with Russia's enemies whoever they are this time around. No pressure on the government to share more than a fraction of Russia's resources with the people as the emperor is not answerable to them.

Old 03-11-2020, 08:08 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I searched this extremely long, tightly contained thread and could not find "2036," and I'd like to know more about what I saw, heard and read today, that Russian lawmakers have approved changes to let Putin stay in power until 2036

RUSSIANS HAVE RIGHT TO FEEL 'CHEATED' BY MOVE TO ALLOW PUTIN STAY IN POWER UNTIL 2036, SAYS CONSTITUTION AUTHOR

"A political scientist who helped draft Russia's current constitution has said that the Russian people have the right to feel "cheated" by lawmakers supporting amendments to the document which pave the way for President Vladimir Putin to stay in power until 2036.

On Wednesday the Kremlin-controlled lower house, the State Duma, approved by 383-0 with 43 abstentions, to amend the constitution which in its current form mandates Putin to stand down in 2024, the Associated Press reported."

https://www.newsweek.com/russia-vlad...idency-1491664

"Both houses of Russian parliament overwhelmingly backed constitutional changes allowing Vladimir Putin to run for president again in 2024 on Wednesday.

The amendment could keep Putin in power until 2036 if he won and completed two more terms as president, making him ruler of Russia for 36 years, the longest in the country’s modern history."

https://www.foxnews.com/world/russia...wer-until-2036

What do average Russians who live in Russia feel about this?

How do posters here feel about this?
Well, now you get an idea of how the Soviet Union was run. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Sorry you spent time searching the thread. Actually, I took a look for you just now, and there are some wry comments about it, but you may not have recognized them as referring to that bit of depressing news. Here's this, and responses to it, from a couple of pages back, post 9971;
Quote:
Putin proved once again that he is an Emperor.
See also posts 9959 and 9962, and various others.
Quote:
I am not against Putin in power until the end of his active life, but this shows an immaturity of the political system in Russia. Next rulers of Russia will receive tremendous power, and I am not sure that they can dispose of it correctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe