Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2016, 01:23 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times

Advertisements

^

That is called a 'kinnas' in Finnish and it's a Baltic loanword.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 01:37 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,234,324 times
And an interesting program about Nevsky and "Ice Battle" (Battle of Lake Peipsi) - only Russian language, sorry:

https://youtu.be/y8Kdx8FH1Do

Old 08-28-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Yeah, the Pope as erasure said urged Sweden, the Teutonic Order and the Livonian Order to protect Christian Finland from Pagan and Orthodox Finland and Novgorod.
It was not "protect", it was an aggressive expansion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Crusades

Old 08-28-2016, 02:15 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Good to know. Here's the German form of "Varangian":
Waräger. You say it's from the root "wehr"? Then it has changed form in modern German. Warager = war wager, warrior. This is so enlightening, Ariete.

Erasure, I think the Russian word must be borrowed from the Scandinavians. I don't know of any Slavic root "var" that would be relevant. Well, except for "varvarstvo" (barbarism). Hmm..... but I don't think that's where the Latin "barbarian" comes from, or meant, but....maybe...? Maybe they're all from an ancient common Indo-Euro root relating to war. That must be it.
I am looking at the background of the word "varyag" in Russian - when it appeared and why.
Plot thickens, lol.
The old annals use this word in Old Slavic ALONG with mentioning of Swedes and Norwegians, as some kind of separate entity)))

P.S. No, there are no related words in Russian with the root "var," except for one more crazy connection that I am guessing here, based on what Ariete describes as "Värn = body armour" (That "ä" corresponds to Russian "э" then, and o umlaut if such thing exists most likely corresponds to Russian ё.)
Anyways, here it is - the next connection that I am making with the "body armor" (which in this case turns into metal chains) although the root of the Russian word in this case is more "ver" than "var."

Verigi | Article about Verigi by The Free Dictionary

Old 08-28-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
It was not "protect", it was an aggressive expansion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Crusades
Yes, of course it was. It was about power and conquest, not protection. To call it to protect was only to give everything a legal justification. The crusades to Palestinia were also to "protect".

About annhilation, there weren't any at least in Finland. There are no records of Swedes or Danes or even legends suggesting that there were any massacres. In Ingria, Karelia and in Novgorod there might been have. We just don't know.

Last edited by Ariete; 08-28-2016 at 03:05 PM..

Old 08-29-2016, 03:17 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,386,009 times
My question, preferably to Russians to answer: what do Russians think about smaller Slavic countries who hold the pro-west/pro-us lines belonging into NATO and EU and whose governments are opposing to Russia´s line? Is such position seen by general public in Russia as sort of, let´s say betrayal? Or perhaps the linguistic connections make no that big sense?

Old 08-29-2016, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhityk View Post
My question, preferably to Russians to answer: what do Russians think about smaller Slavic countries who hold the pro-west/pro-us lines belonging into NATO and EU and whose governments are opposing to Russia´s line? Is such position seen by general public in Russia as sort of, let´s say betrayal? Or perhaps the linguistic connections make no that big sense?
I think that the Russians do not have a great illusions about the Slavic countries, and they do not expect anything special. If we look at the mentality then Finland looks more akin to the country for Russia. Since the time of the outcome of the Slavs from Central Europe (the area of modern Germany) passed a half thousand years. Part of the Slavs embraced Catholicism, some became Orthodox. I think this is the main reason of the split of the Slavs.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
I think that the Russians do not have a great illusions about the Slavic countries, and they do not expect anything special. If we look at the mentality then Finland looks more akin to the country for Russia. Since the time of the outcome of the Slavs from Central Europe (the area of modern Germany) passed a half thousand years. Part of the Slavs embraced Catholicism, some became Orthodox. I think this is the main reason of the split of the Slavs.
+ With the exception of Ukraine and Belarus. Russians believe, that this country's is the Russian land (in the broad sense of the word).

Old 08-29-2016, 11:01 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
A lot of Indo-European words. Massive amounts. Mostly Germanic, but also Slavic and Baltic. And Latin of course.

A large chunk of Finnish words regarding religion are Slavic, as Orthodox Christianity arrived in Finland before Catholic Christianity. (Orthodox appr. 700 AD, Catholic appr. 900.)

Hell, even the country's name 'Suomi' in Finnish is a loan. Suom -> sem -> zeme -> zemlja.
Fascinating! It's also interesting that Orthodox Christianity was the first on the scene, before Catholicism. And there was some discussion about how Rome tried to displace Orthodoxy via the Teutonic knights. Why would they do that? I thought the Catholic Church was concerned only with Christianizing pagans. I wasn't aware that they directed a major effort to stealing converts from Orthodoxy...? Was it a power play?

Old 08-29-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Fascinating! It's also interesting that Orthodox Christianity was the first on the scene, before Catholicism. And there was some discussion about how Rome tried to displace Orthodoxy via the Teutonic knights. Why would they do that? I thought the Catholic Church was concerned only with Christianizing pagans. I wasn't aware that they directed a major effort to stealing converts from Orthodoxy...? Was it a power play?
Western Finland was under the influence of the Pagan Vikings, while Eastern Finland was not. Novgorod and the Rus' adopted Christianity before the Vikings.

In the end it was all about power and influence. Being Orthodox was as 'wrong' as being pagan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe