Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2021, 02:31 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
Back in 1769, the Crimean Khanate, an Ottoman protectorate, at a last major Tatar raid captured 20,000 Russian and Ruthenian slaves. The Crimean khans were descendant of Genghis Khan, who fought other Mongols for the Crimean throne in the early 15th Century. The slave trade was the backbone of their economy, and no doubt they were procurers of many harems.
Good thing that the Russian Empire annexed the Khanate in 1783.
source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimean_Khanate

Rimsky-Korsakov - Scheherazade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPB15Ma2o48

They were supplying the harems of the Osman Empire with that slave trade, ( today's Turkey,) and not only I'm sure.

And this leads to yet another chapter of Russo-Turkish relations ( or rather set of wars between them,) since Russian tzars declared Russia to be the protector of the Christian population, that was submitted under Islam, once Byzantium was destroyed by Muslim Turks.

( And this of course goes even further back in history, when Russian princes chose Constantinople over Rome to bring the Christianization of the country through the Orthodox Church.)
And so ( yet again) Otto von Bismarck, being aware of all that, was warning German establishment "to respect Russian interests in the Balkans," and he was the one who said as well that if the war will ever erupt again in Europe, it will be because of the darn silly things in Balkans.
It was 15-20 years before the WWI.

So as I've said, the Russian were diligently doing their job offsetting the power of Islam in that part of the world, be that Caucasus or Central Asia.

And that's why today, when Americans are able to transport some of their allies from Afghanistan to the neighboring Tajikistan ( which is still Islamic by the way too, but no one thinks much of it, since "Islam in that part of the world ( Central Asia) is not a big deal."

But it was not always like that.

Because that's what Central Asia was, before Russians took over it;

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...hild-slave.jpg

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-odToABqw3...0%25B6%2B2.jpg

https://ru.painting-planet.com/img/t...eshhagin_1.jpg

https://smallbay.ru/images3/vereshch...sle_udachi.jpg

Not too different from the neighboring Afghanistan under the mujaheds/taliban.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2021, 06:52 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,443,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
They were supplying the harems of the Osman Empire with that slave trade, ( today's Turkey,) and not only I'm sure.

And this leads to yet another chapter of Russo-Turkish relations ( or rather set of wars between them,) since Russian tzars declared Russia to be the protector of the Christian population, that was submitted under Islam, once Byzantium was destroyed by Muslim Turks.

( And this of course goes even further back in history, when Russian princes chose Constantinople over Rome to bring the Christianization of the country through the Orthodox Church.)
And so ( yet again) Otto von Bismarck, being aware of all that, was warning German establishment "to respect Russian interests in the Balkans," and he was the one who said as well that if the war will ever erupt again in Europe, it will be because of the darn silly things in Balkans.
It was 15-20 years before the WWI.

So as I've said, the Russian were diligently doing their job offsetting the power of Islam in that part of the world, be that Caucasus or Central Asia.

And that's why today, when Americans are able to transport some of their allies from Afghanistan to the neighboring Tajikistan ( which is still Islamic by the way too, but no one thinks much of it, since "Islam in that part of the world ( Central Asia) is not a big deal."

But it was not always like that.

Because that's what Central Asia was, before Russians took over it;

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...hild-slave.jpg

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-odToABqw3...0%25B6%2B2.jpg

https://ru.painting-planet.com/img/t...eshhagin_1.jpg

https://smallbay.ru/images3/vereshch...sle_udachi.jpg

Not too different from the neighboring Afghanistan under the mujaheds/taliban.
This is why I have no respect for the Tatars whatsoever. Other aspects of these animals practices was the salt trade in the area. The people that lived to the north of the Black Sea and Volga/Don plains needed salt, it came from the Crimea mainly as salt imported from the Baltic was far too expensive. The Tatars used to sell merchants salt and when they were taking salt to cities such as Kiev, Gomel and other places the Tatars would often raid them. To take the salt and sell it again or ransom it. I first read about this in the library in Gomel where in ancient times they would often have "salt famines" because of this. There were small local sources in places but not near enough to cover a growing populations needs.

As for WWII the Wehrmacht created some Tatar militias. They were brutal to the ethnic Russians in the towns and villages north of the Sea Of Azov. Mass murder, mass rape. You name it. The German general disbanded these Tatar militias and even threatened to wipe them out if they did not cooperate.

Old 07-26-2021, 01:18 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,929,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
This is why I have no respect for the Tatars whatsoever. Other aspects of these animals practices was the salt trade in the area. The people that lived to the north of the Black Sea and Volga/Don plains needed salt, it came from the Crimea mainly as salt imported from the Baltic was far too expensive. The Tatars used to sell merchants salt and when they were taking salt to cities such as Kiev, Gomel and other places the Tatars would often raid them. To take the salt and sell it again or ransom it. I first read about this in the library in Gomel where in ancient times they would often have "salt famines" because of this. There were small local sources in places but not near enough to cover a growing populations needs.

As for WWII the Wehrmacht created some Tatar militias. They were brutal to the ethnic Russians in the towns and villages north of the Sea Of Azov. Mass murder, mass rape. You name it. The German general disbanded these Tatar militias and even threatened to wipe them out if they did not cooperate.
That seems kinda petty, and immature, why would you hold something against someone for what their ancestors did, yet they themselves have nothing to do with it? Look far back enough (for most you don’t even need to look that far back) and everyone has ancestors who did some messed up things. Isn’t a son not to be judged by his fathers sins?

Old 07-26-2021, 11:03 AM

169 posts, read 130,085 times
Most Russian expats in Bulgaria are selling their Black sea apartments due to problems (Russian bank accounts getting blocked here etc.) Is it the same elsewhere in Europe?

Old 07-26-2021, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcoolm View Post
Most Russian expats in Bulgaria are selling their Black sea apartments due to problems (Russian bank accounts getting blocked here etc.) Is it the same elsewhere in Europe?

Then I would guess that anti-Russian hysteria is growing in Eastern Europe.

I wonder whether it has got anything to do with the latest MAKS air show)))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNv6aojP1Ms

Old 07-26-2021, 02:07 PM

617 posts, read 538,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcoolm View Post

This makes no sense: if they live in Bulgaria why would they need a Russian bank account?

And why would they block Russian bank accounts? Most sanctions target specific high ranking Russian officials, I doubt any of those live in Bulgaria.

Old 07-26-2021, 02:09 PM

617 posts, read 538,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Then I would guess that anti-Russian hysteria is growing in Eastern Europe.

I wonder whether it has got anything to do with the latest MAKS air show)))

Just like good old Soviet times, the whole country is working for military complex, while having average salaries on levels comparable to poorest parts of the African continent.

Old 07-26-2021, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by civis View Post
Just like good old Soviet times, the whole country is working for military complex, while having average salaries on levels comparable to poorest parts of the African continent.

But you see what happens when Russians are NOT working for their military complex, and NOT using their military.

Eastern Ukraine ( and everything that took place there) is a good example of it.
(Crimea too, but in this case it's the opposite - that's the case when Russians actually DO use their military power.)
Heck, look even at what happened to Russia thirty years ago, when they decided to put their guns down.

Did it help to "raise salaries" in any way?

I don't think so.

Old 07-26-2021, 02:38 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,443,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
That seems kinda petty, and immature, why would you hold something against someone for what their ancestors did, yet they themselves have nothing to do with it? Look far back enough (for most you don’t even need to look that far back) and everyone has ancestors who did some messed up things. Isn’t a son not to be judged by his fathers sins?
I could have worded that differently. More specifically the groups of people (special interest groups) crying about the Tatars being victims. Of course not all Tatars are evil, but some were very evil. In reality like humans can be. That doesn't mean any of them are going to be allowed to lecture me on how they were victims of this or that.

Erasure could be seen to have a negative attitude towards the Chinese and Muslims. I don't flip her crap because where the rubber meets the road she has valid points.

Old 07-26-2021, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I could have worded that differently. More specifically the groups of people (special interest groups) crying about the Tatars being victims. Of course not all Tatars are evil, but some were very evil. In reality like humans can be. That doesn't mean any of them are going to be allowed to lecture me on how they were victims of this or that.

Erasure could be seen to have a negative attitude towards the Chinese and Muslims. I don't flip her crap because where the rubber meets the road she has valid points.

Oh I will definitely comment on my crap later, but for now there is something I am listening on the Russian 60 minutes, ( this is the segment on the Olympic Games in Tokyo,) so I'll comment on this one right away, before this video will get buried in the pile with other ones.

So they are talking about the LGBT participation in these Olympics, and when they mention some British diver who got the gold medal there and who is openly gay, they said "well we wouldn't care about his family life with his *husband,* if they wouldn't be raising a child together. But at least as far as the sport goes, he is a man and he competes against the other men, that's it. But the next participant, the heavyweight woman who used to be a man leaves a lot of questions."
So here A. Zhuravlyev goes ballistic, and he usually puts me into stitches ( and not only me I suppose,) because his aversion to this kind of things is so genuine, that he doesn't even pretend to be "tolerant" or "fair," or "thoughtful" or whatever it is.

In the best Russian traditions, he gets red in his face and barely holds good old Russian expletives back.

"So why the whole world doesn't like us? Because in the midst of all this perversion, of all this vulgarity, we take a firm stand. And the majority of people in European countries see in us their hope. They like us more than their own governments. I assure you, it is so 100%. We stand against all this smut, and they are telling us "yes please do." So since they like us, their governments hate us. Remember when in France so many people came out to protest against all these homos?

But what did their government do?

It implemented the new laws anyway.

And there are millions and millions of people in Europe that share our point of view, so if things will continue to go this way, we'll have to hold our own Olympic Games, free of any transgenders, of all this smut, sport for us, the horrible people, the heterosexuals)))"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hec8numZpgY

So I guess Russians by now start emanating their own "soft power," combined with these cool air shows and the new planes that foreigners keep on saying "look sexy," whatever it means when it comes to the military equipment)))

P.S. Oh I see now - 96% of the Daily Mail readers consider the decision on participation of *Lauren Hubbard* in women's sport unjust.

But I guess they just don't get red in their faces, unlike Zhuravlyev)))

Last edited by erasure; 07-26-2021 at 04:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe