Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2021, 08:48 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
You are missing the other part of the story, as usual DKM.

P.S. From what I hear here, Italy is already buying Sputnik V in EU.
Moderna is now connected to blood clots and its distribution is halted in the EU. It sounds very similar to what happened to Marvin Hagler if the blood clots formed in the lungs since he experienced trouble breathing and chest pains.

Italy is only being selected for manufacturing Sputnik V for export, probably outside the EU.

Pfizer and Moderna both use mRNA technology. I know someone who works in a virology department and said back in December that he would wait for the J&J vaccine.

Some of the E. European states want to go forward with Sputnik V since the currently approved vaccines are being hoarded by US, Canada, and W. European governments. Some of them like Canada have orders for several multiples of the vaccine needed to immunize their populations.

There is limited duration of immunity from the vaccines. This is all going to be for naught if some originations for travelers to the US don't have the vaccinations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2021, 10:44 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,434,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Moderna is now connected to blood clots and its distribution is halted in the EU. It sounds very similar to what happened to Marvin Hagler if the blood clots formed in the lungs since he experienced trouble breathing and chest pains.

Italy is only being selected for manufacturing Sputnik V for export, probably outside the EU.

Pfizer and Moderna both use mRNA technology. I know someone who works in a virology department and said back in December that he would wait for the J&J vaccine.

Some of the E. European states want to go forward with Sputnik V since the currently approved vaccines are being hoarded by US, Canada, and W. European governments. Some of them like Canada have orders for several multiples of the vaccine needed to immunize their populations.

There is limited duration of immunity from the vaccines. This is all going to be for naught if some originations for travelers to the US don't have the vaccinations.
Sometimes the tried and true solution is the best. Not the newfangled thingy with all the bells and whistles.

Old 03-14-2021, 02:40 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,521,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Nobody knows the full answer to that question but there is no country I am aware of that has excess vaccines on hand.

I saw in Russian news that they offered Sputnik to fans attending a soccer game in Peter and out of the 1000's of fans "about 20" took them up on the offer. So I'm leaning towards vaccine reluctance among Russians (certainly this is the case among those I know personally). But those I know only distrust the Russian vaccine.

I wonder if Russians are captive to Russian only vaccines or if they will be given a choice eventually.

Obviously, ( as in case of Ukrainians) you deal with certain type of people in Russia that dislike today's government and anything and everything it does. ( Most likely Navalny supporters type of people.)
So yes, for THESE people it's not the vaccine itself is an issue, but that they are not given any other choices.

So there are two factors at play here;

A. The traditional distrust of Russians towards their government
and

B. The general distrust towards "made in Russia" brand.

While the first factor is given and understood ( and for a good reason,) the second factor is much trickier.

Even though it's true that "made in Russia" brand ( when it comes to consumer goods in particular,) is full of low quality junk, from time to time Russians come up with the brilliant things, which are very difficult to *sell* then to the public for their worthiness, because of the general distrust issue.
Even when they are genuinely better than what you find in the West.

So I start suspecting that this "Sputnik V" vaccine is one of those things.

It would have been a big service to humanity, if Russians ( out of all people) would have been allowed to use the variety of vaccines available out there, ( because some of them would stick no doubt to the "Russian made" and nothing else,) so that the tracking data could show what are the side effects/efficiency truly are, of each and every one of them.

Another good example is me thinking what flight I want to book while flying to Moscow.

"Aeroflot" is off my list right away, because it immediately brings to my mind all the internal flights disasters within Russia.

I don't even strain my brain to realize that their INTERNATIONAL flights have excellent safety record, and yet they still offer much better deals.

The rumor has it that even their food is very good on international flights, yet I still can't get over the whole "Aeroflot brand" thing.
So I assume that it's something similar going on with the "Sputnik V" at this point in Russia.

And THIS would be an even separate issue from GENERAL reluctance of some Russians to use ANY vaccine against Covid, be that Pfizer or Sputnik V.

P.S. Ukrainians are in much worse situation than Russians when it comes to vaccination.

The Indian version that they received will probably not be recognized as "vaccination" at all in the long run. From what I've heard, Israel already refused to recognize it, so other countries will most likely follow.

Old 03-14-2021, 02:46 PM

2,216 posts, read 1,020,420 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2ovoRyv4kw

Old 03-14-2021, 02:49 PM

Quote:

I thought it was AstraZeneca that was suspended because of it?

Old 03-14-2021, 03:44 PM

Quote:
I thought it was AstraZeneca that was suspended because of it?
You're right.

link

All three, Pfizer/nBiotech, Moderna, and AstraZenece/Oxford, stimulate the body to produce the spike protein and then the immune system is to respond with new antibodies. I don't want the body producing a protein that viruses use to invade cells.

Old 03-14-2021, 03:52 PM

Quote:
You're right.

link

All three, Pfizer/nBiotech, Moderna, and AstraZenece/Oxford, stimulate the body to produce the spike protein and then the immune system is to respond with new antibodies. I don't want the body producing a protein that viruses use to invade cells.

Oh I see.

So it can be actually a double edge sword, ( the reaction intended to reach certain goal, while at the same easing the way for viruses to invade cells?)
So what's the concept behind the Sputnik V then?

Do you know by any chance?

Old 03-14-2021, 11:16 PM

2,216 posts, read 1,020,420 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LgcPLfqEBo

Recently, we already told you that last year, food exports from Russia exceeded its imports, but now another important record has been confirmed – in 2020, for the first time in history, our country sold more primary polymers abroad than it bought. And this is another important step not only to import substitution, but also to reduce the dependence on raw materials, which, in fact, means getting out of the vicious global treaty that was imposed on us. About this and more-in today's issue.

The rest of the text can be found here

Last edited by Turist; 03-14-2021 at 11:24 PM..

Old 03-15-2021, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Oh I see.

So it can be actually a double edge sword, ( the reaction intended to reach certain goal, while at the same easing the way for viruses to invade cells?)

They're now reporting DVT blood clots for all four vaccines (Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca, and Johnson & Johnson). The risk is small and may be genetic. You could get the same problem if you're infected.

Old 03-15-2021, 03:54 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,851,777 times
Nobody is reporting blood clots for non AZ vaccines. There have been well over 100 million shots of Pfizer and Moderna given and with very few serious issues reported out of that many so far. The EU has approximately 1 billion shots on order from the three "American" vaccines. I say that in quotes because two of them were jointly developed with European companies. The reason we get more than Europe does at first is because of OWS funding of pre-orders. So Europe is going to have a wait a few more months to get to where they need to be if AZ is halted for long.

Quote:
Oh I see.

This is actually the risk in Sputnik and at least one Chinese vaccine. Sputnik relies on a human adenovirus vector which can cause some people to be more likely to get sick instead of less because your body can recognize the human virus and react differently than you want a vaccine to. This problem is historically related to people with immune disorders such as having HIV. This is the primary purpose behind South Africa rejecting Sputnik.

Otherwise, Sputnik is much the same as AZ, just the vector is different. There is some speculation Gamaleya copied the code from Oxford University. AZ used a chimp adenovirus to keep bodies from recognizing the virus and instead attacking the spike proteins. Both vaccines probably don't work as well now with variants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe