Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2013, 05:18 AM

2,866 posts, read 5,243,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Linda, I'm not 100% certain but I think "des Mannes" should be "vom männer"
No, I remember back in secondary school we had a schedule with all the different German cases. The second case (about belonging) went like this, IIRC:

des [noun + s/es] - der [noun] - des [noun + s/es] - der [noun (plural)]

In the masculine and neuter cases, I think if the noun consists of one syllable, the suffix is +es and if it's more than one syllable it's +s. So for example:

The child of the man = Das Kind des Mannes
The child of the father = Das Kind des Vaters
The child of the woman = Das Kind der Frau
The child of the mother = Das Kind der Mutter
The child of the parents = Das Kind der Eltern

German does not use the literal "of the" construction, at least not in formal language. I don't think "vom Männer" is ever correct because "Männer" is plural (men) while "vom" (von dem) is singular.

However, like I said, my German is a little rusty and this is stuff I was taught many years ago so I might be wrong. Perhaps one of the native German speakers here can clear this up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 05:31 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,345,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
No, I remember back in secondary school we had a schedule with all the different German cases. The second case (about belonging) went like this, IIRC:

In the masculine and neuter cases, I think if the noun consists of one syllable, the suffix is +es and if it's more than one syllable it's +s. So for example:

German does not use the literal "of the" construction, at least not in formal language. I don't think "vom Männer" is ever correct because "Männer" is plural (men) while "vom" (von dem) is singular.

However, like I said, my German is a little rusty and this is stuff I was taught many years ago so I might be wrong. Perhaps one of the native German speakers here can clear this up.
Correct, I wouldn't be able to explain this any better

Old 11-17-2013, 08:48 AM

221 posts, read 343,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusPetersson View Post
Funny story: I am from Western Blekinge in south-eastern Sweden, and one time a friend of mine actually had to speak English in Stockholm with one couple, in order to be understood.
Stockholm must be a special case. I need to throw in every Swedish word I know in order to be understood out there. If I speak standard Norwegian they looked puzzled. It must be because of their isolation by the Baltic Sea. Stockholm is not a drive-through city for Danes and Norwegians. What is it? 500-600 kilometers to either Norway and Denmark from Stockholm? The typical Scandinavian tourist trail runs from Copenhagen through Malmö, Göteborg and up to Oslo. That coastline of course has four of Scandinavias biggest cities and most populated areas. The people best trained in the three languages are likely to live in that region.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:05 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post

My German is very likely rustier than yours so I won't argue. I also thought you were saying from for some reason LOL. But I think you are correct here. I like studying German but the grammar is a nightmare. I actually tried Dutch first but in the US, it's less useful than German so there isn't a whole lot of study material or opportunities to use it. Dutch grammar is easier though IMO.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:06 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Correct, I wouldn't be able to explain this any better
And if a German speaker says it's correct, then there ya go

Old 11-17-2013, 02:42 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,435,317 times
This Germanic Europe.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:48 PM

990 posts, read 1,944,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakral View Post
Stockholm must be a special case. I need to throw in every Swedish word I know in order to be understood out there. If I speak standard Norwegian they looked puzzled. It must be because of their isolation by the Baltic Sea. Stockholm is not a drive-through city for Danes and Norwegians. What is it? 500-600 kilometers to either Norway and Denmark from Stockholm? The typical Scandinavian tourist trail runs from Copenhagen through Malmö, Göteborg and up to Oslo. That coastline of course has four of Scandinavias biggest cities and most populated areas. The people best trained in the three languages are likely to live in that region.
Stockholmers are sure one of a kind, and around 2 million people lives around that area. Even their choices of neighbor-country vacations is differnt from ours, while people in southern and western Sweden goes to Denmark and Norway for vacation, Stockholmers goes to Finland which is their nearest neighbor (through ferry). And Finnish is certainly not a language that you can be trained in easily. Finns however are quite good in Swedish since they learn it in school, then there is also Finlandssvenskar (Finland Swedes) who speaks Swedish as their native language. Stockholm is often looked down on as "too snobbish" in both southern, western and northern Sweden and Stockholmers are a common subject of jokes. I feel much closer to Copenhagen, both culturally and geographically. There is nothing wrong with Stockholm, but Copenhagen feels more like home for me and many other southern Swedes.

Northerners (Norrlänningar) in particular those in the north-west, are likely to understand Norwegian pretty well since they live close to Narvik, Lofoten, Bodø and Trønderlag. For example the dialects in Härjedalen and Jämtland (in the southern parts of Norrland) is very similar to the dialects in neighboring Trønderlag, they can understand each others very well, here's an article, written in Nynorsk:

http://www.sprakrad.no/Toppmeny/Publ..._og_troendersk

And in some parts of northern Sweden, mainly on the north-eastern side, Finnish is actually more common than Swedish. For example Haparanda is an almost entirely Finnish speaking city, just like their neighbor Torneå which is on the Finnish side of Torneälven (the Torne River). And Pajala and Övertorneå is also Finnish-speaking, they speak "Meänkieli" (Tornedalsfinska) which according to the Swedish government officially is a language of its own, but is really just Finnish with some Swedish words in it. Of course they can also speak Swedish, with a slight Finnish accent.

The knowledge that many Swedes has of these sparsely populated northern parts of the country is very limited, they know that it lives Sami people there, it's cold, you can ski there and that they have a hotel made of ice, not much else than that.

Last edited by Helsingborgaren; 11-17-2013 at 03:37 PM..

Old 11-17-2013, 06:27 PM

Does anyone know if Frisian is mutual intelligible with Dutch? And how about Limburgish? None of them are national languages, but still officially considered as languages, would be intresting to know if they are more seen as dialects or languages within the Netherlands, Frisian is also spoken in parts of northern Germany.

Last edited by Helsingborgaren; 11-17-2013 at 06:36 PM..

Old 11-17-2013, 06:43 PM

The 3 Germanic minority languages of the German state of Schleswig-Holstein, most which is located on the peninsula of Jutland

Danish:

So klingt Schleswig-Holstein auf Dänisch - YouTube

Low German:

So klingt Schleswig-Holstein op Platt - YouTube

Frisian:

So klingt Schleswig-Holstein auf Friesisch - YouTube

And here is South Jutish, the distinct Danish dialect/language spoken in Southern Jutland

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDTCP0B1if8

Interesting how the Frisian one also pronounce Germany as "Tyskland", I thought that was only in North Germanic languages.

As for the Danish speaking minority (around 50,000) in Schleswig-Holstein, there is also a German speaking minority (around 20,000) in Denmark right across the border.

The peninsula of Jutland (part of Denmark and Germany) is a very interesting part of Europe that meant alot for the creation of modern England, both the Angles and Jutes came from Jutland. If it was not for Jutland, there wouldn't be any England...

Last edited by Helsingborgaren; 11-17-2013 at 07:11 PM..

Old 11-17-2013, 07:35 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,026,272 times
So Jutland is basically England's fatherland? Interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe