Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 10:39 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,555,545 times

Advertisements

your best option is a) get a job in the u.s. with offices in Europe and try to transfer...

b) marry somebody from europe

c) freelance and work remotely and live in europe, though you can't stay in the same place. you could basically go 3 months at a time in one place... i.e. 3 months in spain, leave to the uk for 3 months, back to spain for 3 months, then maybe the u.s. the rest of the time so officials don't get fishy.

Plan A and C are probably the only realistic ones, and since I wouldn't hedge my bets on A... you might want to go into some kind of business for yourself and do option C

c is my long term plan 10-20 year plan, check places out, learn the apartments, meet more of a network over there, though I plan to start small, a few months of time, and gradually build up to being able to work wherever doing freelance writing/journalism.

I think if you go into it head first you might fall flat on your face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 11:53 PM

200 posts, read 483,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARPATHIAN View Post
My brother, who lived in Canada for 20 years, tried last year to stay in several European countries and lived there for more than half a year, passing from country to country. He couldn't accomodate anywhere, but he's a special case, hating the office work (although an engineer).

I don't say that European lifestyle is not fitted for an American, there are Americans who feel better in Europe (including Romania, where several live for many years), but depends of each one's personality. Cutting your ties with America is not very wise, if this is what you want.

Also, some aspects may be better in Eastern Europe than in Western one, like less crime, better job opportunities, healthier food and natural environment, etc.
And what happened to your brother at the border as he attempted to leave after 6 months of being there? Or do Canadians get a longer stay?

I for one love Europe. I spent 2.5 years out of a 5 year period there back in the late 90's early 00s. My big mistake was leaving. I lived in Spain for a year (that was the third time around). Gave ESL classes under the table, had Spanish roomates, learned and reached a very high level of Spanish. Good times! I've lived in several countries around the world and Spain is the only one in which I had visited before moving there. I have no idea what this poster means by eastern Europe may have less crime - poverty breeds greed. Greed leads to crime. The crime you find in Europe differs from here. Why would you have healthier food there? I don't get it.

I do agree however, that you're posting here with absolutely no info to go on as far as moving to Europe. You will be last on the totem pole to be hired due to the EU. You obviously don't know anything about the EU, so I highly recommend that you change your status from d.a. to i.a. Your best bet is through an int'l corp. unless you want to live there illegally and work tables or some other sort of job. Unfortunately, you've picked one of the most difficult continents to get legal work in.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:27 PM

62 posts, read 275,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkk2chane View Post
You say you are 27, you are definitely not to old to try this, it is just the right time, since you are not a child anymore, but, like you said, there are no babies or mortgages stopping you. However, I do sense a lack of maturity in your tone; when you mentioned that your backup plan if Chicago didn't work was moving back home, I kind of got the feeling that this is all a funny joke/ crazy experience for you. Experiencing is good when you are 21, at 27 you might want to be more serious about the planning.
When I left, I never considered returning an option, especially if it came from a place of defeat or surrender. If you are not decided enough, you won't make it.
I will admit that I could use some more maturity towards this but that's why I'm asking for advice here. Right now, it's more of a dream that a goal and I'm just getting some general info on feasibility before I commit to making this happen.

I talk about moving back home only as a last resort. Such as if I lose my job, fall behind on rent and used up all my savings except for my last $1000 for a flight home. I would rather move back in with my family than end up evicted and homeless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
your best option is a) get a job in the u.s. with offices in Europe and try to transfer...

b) marry somebody from europe

c) freelance and work remotely and live in europe, though you can't stay in the same place. you could basically go 3 months at a time in one place... i.e. 3 months in spain, leave to the uk for 3 months, back to spain for 3 months, then maybe the u.s. the rest of the time so officials don't get fishy.

Plan A and C are probably the only realistic ones, and since I wouldn't hedge my bets on A... you might want to go into some kind of business for yourself and do option C

c is my long term plan 10-20 year plan, check places out, learn the apartments, meet more of a network over there, though I plan to start small, a few months of time, and gradually build up to being able to work wherever doing freelance writing/journalism.

I think if you go into it head first you might fall flat on your face.
How far are you with plan c and how did you get started?

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelinhobo View Post
And what happened to your brother at the border as he attempted to leave after 6 months of being there? Or do Canadians get a longer stay?

I for one love Europe. I spent 2.5 years out of a 5 year period there back in the late 90's early 00s. My big mistake was leaving. I lived in Spain for a year (that was the third time around). Gave ESL classes under the table, had Spanish roomates, learned and reached a very high level of Spanish. Good times! I've lived in several countries around the world and Spain is the only one in which I had visited before moving there. I have no idea what this poster means by eastern Europe may have less crime - poverty breeds greed. Greed leads to crime. The crime you find in Europe differs from here. Why would you have healthier food there? I don't get it.

I do agree however, that you're posting here with absolutely no info to go on as far as moving to Europe. You will be last on the totem pole to be hired due to the EU. You obviously don't know anything about the EU, so I highly recommend that you change your status from d.a. to i.a. Your best bet is through an int'l corp. unless you want to live there illegally and work tables or some other sort of job. Unfortunately, you've picked one of the most difficult continents to get legal work in.
Yup, I don't really know much about this, hence the post and questions. What's d.a. and i.a.?

Old 02-05-2013, 07:52 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,904,722 times
OP, i'm in a somewhat similar situation. 29 yrs old, work as a software dev, with no "baggage" (kids/wife or gf/etc) and would love to move to the EU. I travelled there quite a bit in 2012, and while I do have a decent amount of savings, i'm saving more this year to really have a decent cushion. also i'll be researching options to move there the whole time.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:43 PM

71 posts, read 105,463 times
I'm in the same position as well, but i want to make this move in the other direction.
I live in Europe, Belgium to be more clear, but i consider to move to FL.

Belgium is a nice place to live as well, but i feel like it becomes to small.
Also the weather is not my cup of tea and there is to many negative immigration.
What i mean with that is that people from other countries, especially african and asian countries
get blamed of all the bad things that happen, because some of their nationals are violent, against the rules,
forcing islam to people, stealing,... But the good ones get blamed for that.

This is the fault of the government, because they don't do anything about.
They let this all happen, they making it hard for people who come for a better live or rather
sent them back to their home country than doing this with the criminals.
This is sick. People who already learned the language, have a job and having good friends are sometimes forced to return back, otherwise criminals can stay because they or afraid of them imo.

Diversity in the US is so much better, less more conflicts than what the government created here.
I like people from where-ever they are, skin color just doesn't matter, but once they come here to do things
what happen in Brussels and London (shariah patrol), i want to kick them out of my country.

Unemployment in some countries is very high, even my country, but you can reckon on a good social
system. We Belgium and the Netherlands are both great countries to live in, but like many other places
in the world, it s changed really hard.

I hope you guys can make the move, just make a good planning, try to find a very universal job,
languages are really important, skills as well. Unfortunately we don't have no diversity visa lottery like you guys have in America, this could have been a good option as well. Though odds should be very low, since i am still trying to win it to come to the US.

I hope you both will make, all the best!

From Belgium

Old 02-06-2013, 11:39 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,904,722 times
thanks wallstreet84! it does appear that the odds are rather tough, but it's worth a shot.

good luck to you as well in making the move to the US!

Old 02-07-2013, 01:20 AM

71 posts, read 105,463 times
Do you guys have the same feeling that the West is hardly changed? I am 28 now and i find there is a huge
difference between now and 10-15 years a goo. Or is this very common when you getting older?
Imo many things have changed, first the economy (but there are always good times and bad times), political issues ( since 9-11 we've had terroristic attacks everywhere), Arabian spring, USA-Iran, Israel, economic meltdown, amount of debt by many of the western governments ...

Sometimes i have a feeling that we'll heading the next huge event in human history, so many things are uncertain.
Maybe this feeling is common when economic times are hard, otherwise it bothers me.
As i mentioned, i really like the good old USA or at least that's what i think.
The place where everybody is the same, no matter you are black or white.

But nowadays, the places where i've been to, you can feel the society is divided in two.
And i mean not racial but in the way of thinking. Many among us become very critical about the government
and everything what happens in the world, they are searching for answers.

The second group is just following the wave like it comes, they seem to be not worried about anything, maybe because they feel that they not have another choice or they think everything what happens is right.
It strikes me that many of us are using the term "sheeple'. Many of us become more aware for underlying purposes.
Just need to mention that this strike me in some parts of Europe and the US, not everywhere...

Maybe this has been always like that, but i guess not. Or maybe this is something we see when we get older, i really don't
know. I recognize this by myself as well, sometimes i become angry because of the government or when people
giving answers before knowing underlying arguments. Like generalization in first place.

Sometimes i wish that i could move to a country which will be not affect by all this troubles.
A place where people enjoy the good things in live, rather than pursuit material pleasures.
Or not get plumaged by ridicule taxes and rules as well...
I thought i could find this in the US (so called land of the free), but sometimes i am not sure about that.
The only thing i am sure that every place in the world can be hard and we have to make it the best.
It can be hard to find job everywhere, without a job everything is uncertain, at least that's what i ve been
taught.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:10 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,555,545 times
If you are worried about immigration problems and issues... Florida would not be the state to move to!

Old 02-07-2013, 08:16 AM

233 posts, read 450,603 times
Weizilla

Forget Europe. Europe is not the US, not an open land. Most people land on jobs because they know or are related with somebody, redtape is conceived to prevent an open labour market..plus there are many languages...

Try emerging countries, not submerging continents.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:44 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,129,602 times
If you want to maybe live in Europe why not pack a backpack spend some time traveling, see the different parts, meet girls (or Guys) maybe find a job. The key is seeing places and meeting people. Anything is possible but you have to actually get out the door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe