Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 10:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,813 times

Advertisements

Hi

This is my third attempt on forums trying to find out where I can find the lifestyle me and my family are looking for.

Basically me, my husband and 2 year old are looking to relocate abroad (somewhere in Europe, not to far from the UK) it's as cliche as..... "A new life in the sun" I have lived abroad (Turkey, Benidorm, Malta, Marbella and Portugal) and know that in my heart that's the lifestyle I want to bring my little boy up in.

Now I have only been using forums for a bout 3 days and already realise my post is going to annoy loads of people as I am not giving as much detail as most require, and the fact I am asking advice on the whole of Europe but as stupid and naieve as that might make me, I am just hoping I can get some direction as I feel lost with my search.

A few details about me and what we are looking for, we have enough money for a deposit on a small Villa but obviously would be renting before we make the decision to buy in the desired area.

We are also looking to rent a shop to sell personalised gifts aimed at children (I am not to concerned about the shop) as the product sells itself, although I do need somewhere with an all year round tourist trade

We are looking for somewhere coastal with a fair Expat Community, somewhere suitable to bring up children.

I totally understand from previous comments that the Ecodomy in Europe is not at its best, but I don't like the way the UK is going and prefer the relaxed lifestyle many places in Europe have to offer, I literally am a young girl looking to provide a better life for her family, I know it might seem a bit like a pipe dream, but I am really ambitious and not scared to take the plunge, if it doesn't work I am prepared for that I have a great support network around me.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post, I am most grateful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 11:40 AM

302 posts, read 871,236 times
Have you looked at Croatia?

Old 07-29-2013, 11:50 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,378,068 times
I'd look into Croatia. They joined the Union only a couple of months ago, so more and more people will probably consider it as their next summer destination.

Dubrovnik, ****, Zadar and Split are all quite nice and livable But as you already figured out yourself, it's hard to recommend a city (or country) without knowing anything about your educational background.

Edit: How the hell is P.U.L.A. a swearword?

Old 07-29-2013, 11:54 AM

13,495 posts, read 18,299,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachal1084 View Post
Hi

This is my third attempt on forums trying to find out where I can find the lifestyle me and my family are looking for.

Basically me, my husband and 2 year old are looking to relocate abroad (somewhere in Europe, not to far from the UK) it's as cliche as..... "A new life in the sun" I have lived abroad (Turkey, Benidorm, Malta, Marbella and Portugal) and know that in my heart that's the lifestyle I want to bring my little boy up in....
I live in Lagos, PT. And in many respects it would have what you want, but you probably already know that.

The deal-breaker would be year-round tourism. As you may know ours is essentially concentrated in the three high summer months (plenty of folks with children), but the rest of the year the tourist crowds are much thinner, and non-existent at the height of our "winter." Also, outside of the summer months, the tourists tend to be older people not travelling with children.

I am wondering why Malta might not be already on your mind, however, I do not know Malta and there may be excellent reasons. I would think that Malta's tourist business might be better distributed throughout the year. I know in Cyprus, when I lived there, it seem more distributed than in the Algarve.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:15 PM

6,479 posts, read 8,257,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
It is an obscene Norwegian word which refers to the act of sexual intercourse (like the F-Word).

Old 07-29-2013, 01:25 PM

788 posts, read 1,253,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachal1084 View Post
We are looking for somewhere coastal with a fair Expat Community, somewhere suitable to bring up children.
Sorry, but you don't provide enough information for us to be able to help you.

How coastal does it need to be? How large an expat community? I can think of three cities which might be what you are looking for, no, make that four. But I want to emphasize the word might.
The Hague in Holland.
Monte Carlo in Monaco.
Barcelona and Valencia in Spain.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:40 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,961,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Pola, Pulj, Polei.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyAndRugby View Post
Monte Carlo in Monaco.
LOL. How did you think the OP could get in there?

Croatia or Slovenia would be my suggestions as well. Or southern France. I can't see any success in the other Southern European countries at the moment. The economy a mess, no social security, unstable and impotent governments and the people are p*ss-poor.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:56 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,445,485 times
Southern Italy, maybe in Puglia region. ( one the southeastern coast) The real estate there was extremely affordable a few years ago. I do remember lots of Brits buying there, so maybe it is somewhat expensive now.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:28 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,265,410 times
Southern France:
- Close to the UK
- In line with the kind of European countries you've lived in
- Coastal
- Plenty of tourists and expats
- Suitable for children (gives them a chance to learn French, a major world language)

Others have mentioned Croatia, which crossed my mind as well, but I think Southern France would be a better option based on what you've said.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:33 PM

3,799 posts, read 4,159,744 times
I would stay away from Spain and Greece because of the state of their economies, which won't get better for a long time. Italy's economy is not much better. Turkey should be eliminated because of political strife. Monaco would be outrageously expensive. I would look at France, Malta, Croatia, and the countries of Eastern Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe