Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2012, 01:11 PM

62 posts, read 212,888 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

Recently just found out my Grandmother is Finn and Altaic/Altai , just wondering about Finn lifestyle, how related to Russian lifestyle/culture Finland is and if there are many Siberian Asian people who have immigrated to certain regions?

Thanks for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 07:13 PM

311 posts, read 605,887 times
I was in Abo and Helsinki few years ago. There were very few immigrants living in Finland, even in the big cities.
Finland is not diverse at all.

However Sweden's big cities were.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:43 PM

26,789 posts, read 22,567,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissesAnna View Post
Hi Everyone,

Recently just found out my Grandmother is Finn and Altaic/Altai , just wondering about Finn lifestyle, how related to Russian lifestyle/culture Finland is and if there are many Siberian Asian people who have immigrated to certain regions?

Thanks for any info!
From what I understand the kind of "Siberian Asian people" you are talking about, originally used to be nomads, they settled more or less because Russians wanted them to ( I mean you are not supposed to be a nomad under the Soviet system - what kind of nonsense is that, how can you be indoctrinated with Marxist-Leninist ideas while hopping from one mountain to another?)
I haven't heard them immigrating anywhere back in those times, but what happened earlier ( muuuuch earlier in history, probably in times of Noah's flood, ) and how related languages ended up somewhere in Finland or Hungary - god knows.
Russian culture is not all that similar with Finnish one; Finns are typical Northerners, Russians - not so much.
Hope this helps.

Old 06-23-2012, 04:28 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,488,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In God We Trust View Post
I was in Abo and Helsinki few years ago. There were very few immigrants living in Finland, even in the big cities.
Finland is not diverse at all.

However Sweden's big cities were.

How would you know? You don't speak the language. How would you know who's Finish and who is not..

Old 06-23-2012, 07:17 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
There are a few similarities between Finnish and Russian culture, but what's that got to do with Asiatics? Anyway, they both have a strong tradition of taking sauna-baths, which involves more than just the sauna. It's hot/cold therapy, where you sweat, then you jump into a lake of cold water, or throw a bucket of cold water on yourself, then you sweat again. Flogging yourself with birch branches improves circulation. The whole rigamaroll bears very little resemblance to our understanding of sauna. This is also a Siberian Native tradition, I think, or maybe more Finno-Ugric.

Finns are huge fans of vodka. *ahem* ...a bit too huge. But not all Finns.

I don't think you can trace back to a specific people from the Altai. There isn't any connection between the Finnic tribes and the Altai. There could be a thin connection between some of the Saami and Samoyedic peoples who migrated to the Altai in prehistory. I wonder if you could get a different type of genetic test done, to try to get a more specific read on the Altai ancestry.

The Finns have done a lot of research into their own ancestry. Maybe you could find a paper in English if you did some Googling.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:40 PM

7 posts, read 15,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissesAnna View Post
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for any info!

The people from Altai come to Finland during the 1800-centuary with Russian Army and residing here.
Today the peoples is aruond 800 persons and thiers religion is islam

Old 07-10-2012, 07:40 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
I don't know if you have got some vague information, but the Altay people are an eastern orthodox semi-nomadic people, and I've never heard of anyone of that ethnic group in Finland.

On the other hand, a small group of muslim Turkic Tatars immigrated to Finland during the 19th century, and this is a rather well known ethnic group in Finland. (The Finnish Tatar Islamic congregation was the first muslim one to be recognized in any European country and a famous former finnish soccer player is Tatar) The number of Tatars in Finland is today about 1000, and are completely integrated to the society, although many give their children tatar names.

Though Finland was part of Russia for over 100 years, only businessmen and retired soldiers were allowed to "emigrate" to Finland. The number of descendants of these Russians are today about 4000.
The Grand Duchy of Finland was also allowed to keep its own laws, customs, officials, currency and for a while even a own military, so the Russian influence was minimal.
Before 1809 Finland was a part of Sweden, and because of the constant wars with Russia, there was practically a cultural barrier between the countries from the medieval times onwards.

The only "big" wave of Russian immigration was after the collapse of the Soviet Union. Most came for work or love. According to the bureau of statistics, 54 000 people in Finland speak russian as their mother tongue, ~1% of the population.

To put it short. Similarities in Finnish and (ethnic) Russian culture: vodka, sauna, melancholic folk music. Differences: everything else.
Finnish culture is mainly mainstream Scandinavian with some German and Baltic influences.

Last edited by Ariete; 07-10-2012 at 08:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe