Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2009, 05:36 PM

64 posts, read 321,245 times

Advertisements

Please tell me what Helsinki is like both to visit and to live there. Watch must you see? are the people friendly? is it safe? I would appreciate anything you can tell me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 09:04 AM

1,226 posts, read 3,648,445 times
You must see the Russian Church, it's wonderful. (You can't take any pictures inside it though, but you can buy post cards depicting the inside, and of course you can take pictures of the outside.)

I haven't been there in many years, so I don't really know what to do there. I've just visited my relatives, and we've been doing things mostly done by only the locals.

The cemetary (I think it's the biggest in Finland, but I don't know) is also a very beautiful place. Only been there in the summer, and I don't know when you're going or if you're even interested in that sort of thing (unless like me and my family, you work in the church)

Hope you have a nice time in Helsingfors (Why must English-speaking people go by the Finnish name of the city. Oh, why)

(I just noticed that I only suggested Christian places to go. Im starting to believe my friends are right about me...)

Old 01-20-2009, 04:56 PM

3 posts, read 45,119 times
To be honest, there is nothing much to see in Helsinki ( in couple of days you have seen it all..lol), Helsinki is btw the official name of the city ( not Helsingfors , bloody swedish folk ). Helsinki is at it's best during the summer, esplanad park is very nice and kauppatori, many young people and tourists. Tuomiokirkko (DOme) and Uspenski cathedral are worth looking. Helsinki is quite safe city and people are generally nice, but quite shy. They don't care much about foreigners. They will probably not start a conversation with you.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:46 PM

1,226 posts, read 3,648,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serina80 View Post
To be honest, there is nothing much to see in Helsinki ( in couple of days you have seen it all..lol), Helsinki is btw the official name of the city ( not Helsingfors , bloody swedish folk ).
Bloody Finnish people... They think they know what the cities in their own country should be called... Dammed if I didn't prove them wrong!

(One of my Swedish-Finnish uncles is pretty funny: when he speaks Swedish he says Helsingfors, and then he turns around and speaks Finnish and calls it Helsinki... Ok, it's rather logical, but since he lives in Helsingfors/Helsinki, I still think it's fun.)

Haven't spent that much time in Helsingfors () in my days, as we've mostly been to the cabin by Saimaa and to S:t Michel/Mikkeli and surroundings. (That town's skyline looks alot like Eskiltuna in Sweden, if anyone's interested).

The mall, Östra centrum (don't know its name in Finnish), in Helsingfors/Helsinki is the biggest mall (regarding the number of shops in the mall. When regarding size, it's Nordstan in Göteborg/Gothenburg) in the Nordic countries. I was there a couple of years ago, and it was pretty cool.
So... If your son is into shopping, dunkhouse... Maybe that's something to do?

Old 01-21-2009, 05:36 PM

64 posts, read 321,245 times
So far he has been seeing the city on foot and taking loads of pictures. There is limited daylight this time of year though. He seems to be quite interested in the Russian architecture. He will be leaving there in May and heading to Stockholm for a few weeks before returning home.

Old 11-23-2014, 02:41 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,850,298 times
It's crap.

Old 11-23-2014, 03:23 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,363,375 times
Great bump!

Old 11-23-2014, 03:42 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,850,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Great bump!
Yeah, I added a lot of valuable information to an important thread.

Old 11-23-2014, 02:04 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,363,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Yeah, I added a lot of valuable information to an important thread.
You sure did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe