Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are European women just not as big on race when it comes to dating?
No, they care way less about race, it really means nothing to them 21 17.50%
They care but not the extent that American women do 42 35.00%
They care just as much as American women 25 20.83%
They care about it even more 32 26.67%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 10:16 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,298,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestMind View Post
White americans put in a pedestal Natural blonde women (because most white american girls are dark/brown haired) and tend to look blacks as a lower kind of people.

A lot of american women are into muscular white men, something that wont attract anybody in europe. Its funny how every american has a little of white-supremacist into their minds, even when they claim to be liberals.
Sounds like you listen to WAY TOO MUCH European media.

I lived in Europe for a year, and it seemed like, well, the BBC in particular, took every chance it got to interview 'the typical American' back in the rural parts of Arkansas to see what he had to say about things internationally from the American perspective.

Do you guys ever associate Seattle or Boston or New York or San Francisco or Minneapolis or Chicago or anywhere else like that to also be part of the U.S.?

Old 09-19-2011, 10:54 AM

583 posts, read 1,327,682 times
Tiger beer,

I find your comments here often inaccurate, and lacking in a certain perspective. Things are rarely black and white, this way or that, just one way, or only another. Perhaps most true when concerning race. You compare apples and oranges...

The global history of slavery and racism, which has existed since civilization began........whether Egypt, or Africa, or South America....

is a different argument than....

for the last 100 years or so, when slavery was history, and modern nations puported to uphold laws to end discrimination and provide equal protection and opportunity:

-like when black American servicemen were treated far better in Europe, in France, in Germany, Holland, than in the US....

-like when black American actors and musicians found employment and acceptance in these countries, because Hollywood would not accept them...

-nor were there laws in Europe against inter-racial marriage, etc, etc.

I'm sure I could come up with many more, because........with the great exeption of Hitler's philosophies, again, Europe has been more tolerant and progressive.....NOT to say there is not racism in Europe....

Old 09-19-2011, 10:57 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,567,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltatrix View Post
....nor were there laws in Europe against inter-racial marriage, I'm sure I could come up with many more examples..............with the great exeption of Hitler's philosophies, again, Europe has been more tolerant and progressive when it comes to racial equality.....NOT to say there is not racism in Europe....
And yet, the most prosperous people of African descent in the world live in the United States.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:21 AM

85 posts, read 214,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
And yet, the most prosperous people of African descent in the world live in the United States.
Because america is a bigger market to become rich which doesnt mean middle class people live better than in europe, because Its the other way around..

As I have told often America is only a good place to make money (if you have capital or good ideas), nothing else.

In europe, regardless the country I've witnessed quite often very average black/asian/arab men being not particularly rich married or dating goodlooking women. Tell me how often do you see a white american women really goodlooking dating or married to an arab/african/indian dude who isnt a doctor , lawyer or someone who earns loads of money.. Most guys of those ethnicities either date their own women or end up with the white american women that nobody would date...

The truth is hard...

Old 09-19-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltatrix View Post
Tiger beer,

I find your comments here often inaccurate, and lacking in a certain perspective. Things are rarely black and white, this way or that, just one way, or only another. Perhaps most true when concerning race. You compare apples and oranges...

The global history of slavery and racism, which has existed since civilization began........whether Egypt, or Africa, or South America....

is a different argument than....

for the last 100 years or so, when slavery was history, and modern nations puported to uphold laws to end discrimination and provide equal protection and opportunity:

-like when black American servicemen were treated far better in Europe, in France, in Germany, Holland, than in the US....

-like when black American actors and musicians found employment and acceptance in these countries, because Hollywood would not accept them...

-nor were there laws in Europe against inter-racial marriage, etc, etc.

I'm sure I could come up with many more, because........with the great exeption of Hitler's philosophies, again, Europe has been more tolerant and progressive.....NOT to say there is not racism in Europe....
The same Europe that has London and Paris and seems to have racial riots on a regular basis? It's not even 10% black is it, and it isn't incorporating them very well? That Europe?

I'm not saying that the U.S. does much better, but most of our cities east of the Mississippi are more like 40-60% African.....but Europe seems to be having all the same incorporation problems with a significantly smaller African population.

In the past, Europe just had very few non-Europeans living in Europe (except for the atrocities against the Jewish people). So when a few talented African-Americans in very small numbers went to Europe, they were tolerated. But now that you have more coming from Africa that start making enough numbers to actually make a percentage, it seems like riot city on a regular basis wherever they live.

They riot in Europe because of injustice and racism.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 09-19-2011 at 11:41 AM..

Old 09-19-2011, 11:41 AM

2,866 posts, read 5,254,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Sounds like you listen to WAY TOO MUCH European media.

I lived in Europe for a year, and it seemed like, well, the BBC in particular, took every chance it got to interview 'the typical American' back in the rural parts of Arkansas to see what he had to say about things internationally from the American perspective.

Do you guys ever associate Seattle or Boston or New York or San Francisco or Minneapolis or Chicago or anywhere else like that to also be part of the U.S.?
Don't take HonestMind's posts as respresentative of the "European perspective", he's just an anti-American troll as is shown by his other posts on this board.

Anyway, of course we consider those other places to also be part of the US. Continental European media is nowhere near as sensationalist and dishonest as in the US (Fox News type of channels), I personally have never noticed an anti-American bias in the way news is reported in my country. When something happens in, say, New York, the correspondent that is stationed there will usually give a factual overview of the events and then interview some local residents for their opinions. I have never seen random Americans being interviewed for their take on international issues, the idea itself is ridiculous imo, as if that's newsworthy to us

I think most Europeans who hold negative stereotypes about the US get their information from the internet (blogs etc.), from dissatisfied Americans (as can be seen on this board), from the media they receive coming directly from the US, from negative encounters with fellow Americans (mostly on the internet), from personal experiences (which are told to others at home), and most of all as a direct response to Americans boasting about their own country, calling it "the greatest country in the world" and calling Europeans childish names like "Eurotrash". You rarely see Europeans arguing about how much better Europe is in comparison to e.g. Canada or Australia. It's a defense mechanism mostly imo. If you hear Americans say something positive about Europe, you'll see that the response is a lot kinder as well.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:50 AM

583 posts, read 1,327,682 times
Generations of Jewish families lived in Europe for centuries, they weren't European?

Old 09-19-2011, 11:53 AM

2,866 posts, read 5,254,992 times
Quote:
The same Europe that has London and Paris and seems to have racial riots on a regular basis? It's not even 10% black is it, and it isn't incorporating them very well? That Europe?

I'm not saying that the U.S. does much better, but most of our cities east of the Mississippi are more like 40-60% African.....but Europe seems to be having all the same incorporation problems with a significantly smaller African population.

In the past, Europe just had very few non-Europeans living in Europe (except for the atrocities against the Jewish people). So when a few talented African-Americans in very small numbers went to Europe, they were tolerated. But now that you have more coming from Africa that start making enough numbers to actually make a percentage, it seems like riot city on a regular basis wherever they live.

Those incorporation problems have nothing to do with race. As several others have noted in this thread, Europeans judge others mostly on their morals and values, not on their race or nationality. The problem with certain non-Western immigrants is that their values collide with ours because they refuse to adapt. If you choose to live here, you should learn the local language, abide by the local laws and accept the local values. If you can't do that, there's hundreds of other countries to move to. Do you think a Morrocon guy would be welcomed in Japan if he refused to learn Japanese and did not respect the Japanese customs and values? Why are Japanese not called "racist" and "xenophobic" for having certain expectations of immigrants, and Europeans are?

Also, it's striking how there are millions of Chinese people living in Europe and they don't seem to encounter "racism" and "injustice" too much. Could it be that those rioting youngsters have at least some of the blame for the problems they're facing? Also, if you honestly think those thugs were rioting merely out of principle you are delusional.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Don't take HonestMind's posts as respresentative of the "European perspective", he's just an anti-American troll as is shown by his other posts on this board.

Anyway, of course we consider those other places to also be part of the US. Continental European media is nowhere near as sensationalist and dishonest as in the US (Fox News type of channels), I personally have never noticed an anti-American bias in the way news is reported in my country. When something happens in, say, New York, the correspondent that is stationed there will usually give a factual overview of the events and then interview some local residents for their opinions. I have never seen random Americans being interviewed for their take on international issues, the idea itself is ridiculous imo, as if that's newsworthy to us

I think most Europeans who hold negative stereotypes about the US get their information from the internet (blogs etc.), from dissatisfied Americans (as can be seen on this board), from the media they receive coming directly from the US, from negative encounters with fellow Americans (mostly on the internet), from personal experiences (which are told to others at home), and most of all as a direct response to Americans boasting about their own country, calling it "the greatest country in the world" and calling Europeans childish names like "Eurotrash". You rarely see Europeans arguing about how much better Europe is in comparison to e.g. Canada or Australia. It's a defense mechanism mostly imo. If you hear Americans say something positive about Europe, you'll see that the response is a lot kinder as well.
FOX is bad. I've actually seen some really weird anti-American biases mostly from Canadian media and the BBC and British media. The other European countries, I wouldn't really be able to tell though.

But, yeah, never seen any network as bad as FOX, and hope I never do

But, I think you're right about defense-mechanisms, etc. I've also noticed that the U.S. has a ton of programs and media and such that project itself in a bad way. Part of our way to criticize our government, our way of life, etc. I strongly agree with most of this as well. However, I've also noticed that internationally many people take those self-criticism we make about ourselves as fodder to hate Americans as well.

All that being said, I do think Europeans, especially the more well-educated who can see through things, do see through things. I just get irritated when I meet the European equivalent of the American stereotype who can't see bigger pictures, and resort to negative stereotypes.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:03 PM

85 posts, read 214,797 times
Quote:

In europe the problems are about culture shock rather than racial differences unlike the US. Most of those blacks hanging out in cities like paris, barcelona, rotterdam and even london are recent foreigners or refugees and they are completly different culturally-wise from the local population. The situation of the US is completly different most of their black people are just african americans who are part of the mainstream american culture and who have been for centuries there being as american as your white/caucasian people, they are not africans and therefore the culture difference is way less between white and black americans than between europeans and recent foreigners from africa. Tell me how common is to find in southern states of the US a guy that has recently migrated there from senegal or somalia...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.