Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 07:00 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,618,183 times

Advertisements

Re: '...rather live in Eastern Europe than Western'..

Well if you think the West is 'rotten' you' are making a good decision there. I know people from both areas who if they switched would become the 'lost'. They don't seem to me to have the interpersonal skills to switch well. For them it's that Kipling quip you know about East is East and West is West.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 07:23 AM

433 posts, read 405,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Re: '...rather live in Eastern Europe than Western'..

Well if you think the West is 'rotten' you' are making a good decision there. I know people from both areas who if they switched would become the 'lost'. They don't seem to me to have the interpersonal skills to switch well. For them it's that Kipling quip you know about East is East and West is West.
Usually East is yeast and West is best...

Old 12-24-2014, 11:35 AM

54 posts, read 60,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
lol
What's so funny? The West is dying. Can't you see this? I'm starting to believe that this forum is overwhelmed by leftards.

Old 12-24-2014, 12:17 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averted666 View Post
What's so funny? The West is dying. Can't you see this? I'm starting to believe that this forum is overwhelmed by leftards.
lol

Old 12-24-2014, 01:04 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,608,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averted666 View Post
West is rotten because of multiculturalism, tolerance and high taxes. Eastern Europe is much safer place despite the stupid stereotypes. I would rather live in Eastern Europe than in Western.
Damn that tolerance! You're much safer in a place where intolerance is the norm and the law.

Old 12-24-2014, 01:51 PM

54 posts, read 60,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
Damn that tolerance! You're much safer in a place where intolerance is the norm and the law.
Do you even know what tolerance is? First of all, tolerance has limits and western tolerance has no limits.

Old 12-25-2014, 06:03 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,079,200 times
Soviet-style buildings?

Old 12-25-2014, 06:17 AM

Eastern European means looks more Turkic, Asian, even with Mongoloid mix, although not in the entire populations of Eastern European countries. Western European looks more Anglo-Saxon, you could even say more "cool" looking, with more Afro, Congoid, Semitic and Mediterranean premix in the gene pool.

Regarding buildings, mostly yes, "Soviet style" buildings, if such exist, since France, Netherlands and many other countries on the Afro'Med side of Europe also has so-called commieblocks or "chruschtschiowkas": http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...184493&page=35

Although the commieblocks in the Afro-Med side of Europe are not as widespread, not on such a large scale as in the Russo-Balt side of Europe. Let's say 80% vs. 30% or so?

I wouldn't call these commieblocks although in Czechia: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...=213302&page=2

Anyway, Western (bestern) part of Europe has a milder climate, thus the Northern or North-Eastern GDP must be adjusted to accomodate the $$$SAVINGS$$$ the Western parts get from mild climate and less destruction to their infrastructure and buildings that northern winters cause further to the East (yeast). For instance, a Spanish GDP of $29000 vs. Estonian GDP of $22000 when adjusted to the climate factor Estonian GDP would become more like $42000 or the Spanish one would be lowered down to $16000 if we move Spain up north to deal with Estonian kind of climate.

Last edited by newtocolumbia; 12-25-2014 at 06:39 AM..

Old 12-25-2014, 06:37 AM

401 posts, read 649,866 times
western europe are pretty much the most famous european countries (France, Spain, Portugal, UK, Ireland, Germany, Italy, Switzerland, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Belgium, maybe Austria), then you got the Nordic countries (Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Norway) and the rest is all Eastern Europe in my book

edit: I forgot Greece, it's not Eastern Europe for sure but not Western Europe neither, it's just Greece

Old 12-25-2014, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryever View Post
western europe are pretty much the most famous european countries (France, Spain, Portugal, UK, Ireland, Germany, Italy, Switzerland, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Belgium, maybe Austria), then you got the Nordic countries (Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Norway) and the rest is all Eastern Europe in my book

edit: I forgot Greece, it's not Eastern Europe for sure but not Western Europe neither, it's just Greece
In 20 to 50 years that may change. Although linguistically, unless it becomes Eurabia, may never change. For example is Lithuania Eastern, Northern, Central Europe? Different sources group it differently, yet no other country in Europe is grouped in all three regions at once by different sources. Even some list it with the New Western Europe since it is on the edge of the Eurasian continent on the shores of the Baltic Sea and even the Southern Europe, which is more of a joke, because culturally and architecturally it is more with the Italy and France rather than Scandinavia. It is Lithuania after all, same as Greece is not East and not West, it is a trans-regional country, same as Greece, although lately grouped within Northern Europe.

And did you notice? The richer the country becomes, the more "regions" will want to grab it.

You could almost do that with the Czechia as well. (Why they call it Czech Republic, while Slovakia is just Slovakia and not Slovak Republic, officially or popularly. Is it too difficult to pronounce the word Czechia?)

Anyway, so I think Estonia is as Northern as Finland or getting there, why not just include it with the Northern Europe, as in for sure, and let Latvians decide where they want to be. :-) I just don't think Lithuania fits into being Northern and it should be left alone as a trans-regional country of its own, even with its small size.

Again, what makes a country Western or Eastern... it is mostly its culture for at least the past 1000 years, not the past 50 or 100 years. Therefore Poland would be the first West European country while Estonia first Northern European country in that direction, if the term "Central Europe" was not used that is. We think "centre" is a dot, a small area, not a group of many countries. Being Central makes one in a way neutral, far away from the outskirts, while Western, Eastern, Northern or Southern could mean outskirts in a sense that Central is not. In the future the meaning Central may replace Western as Best, being in the middle of it all.

Therefore what makes a country Eastern or Western, it is not just its slight cultural differences, but also a commonality of being on the outskirt of a continent. Eastern outskirt or Western outskirt. It still is an outskirt.

Also, what makes a country Western in the case of European peninsular semi-continent is that being western means warmer, milder climate and deeper ties with the old corporate capitalism and deeper values of exploiting the profits and ripping the fruits of the (now mainly ex) colonies, which makes the countries richer, in a way of having a great start by robbing other overseas countries out of their natural resources, which in turn places the Western Europe in a much more comfortable position both climatewise (lucky them) and wealthwise (so are the pirates), even if the wealth was obtained not in an extremely fair or honest way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe