Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2014, 09:53 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,213,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Let's hear who you don't like and why.

I'll start.

I don't like Tom Cruise. I think he's overrated, can't act but the same character type over and over and it's a dull one at that, and I'm never going to watch anything he's in again, if I can help it.

I am not crazy about him either, but he has been in movies with other great actors like Gene Hackman and Hal Holbrook (The Firm), Jack Nicholson (A Few Good Men), Dustin Hoffman (Rain Man) and Kelly McGillis (Top Gun). So I will sometimes watch them for the movie plot and those very good actors, not so much because of him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 09:57 PM

I know his career is basically over, but James Caan never did much for me. He did a lot of action movies early in his career. Clint Eastwood and Charles Bronson could probably act better in their sleep than Caan.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:32 PM

23,269 posts, read 29,122,945 times
There's movies I simply won't watch because a certain actor is in it, for some reason, they make me uncomfortable, on edge the whole time. A chemical reaction I'll call it. Another factor if I don't find them at all attractive, physically.

Like: Diane Keaton, Sandra Bullock, Clint Eastwood, Jennifer Aniston, Alec Baldwin, Dustin Hoffman, Robin Williams.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
There's movies I simply won't watch because a certain actor is in it, for some reason, they make me uncomfortable, on edge the whole time. A chemical reaction I'll call it. Another factor if I don't find them at all attractive, physically.

Like: Diane Keaton, Sandra Bullock, Clint Eastwood, Jennifer Aniston, Alec Baldwin, Dustin Hoffman, Robin Williams.
Wow. Some of them are among the most highly regarded actors around.

I get the Robin Williams pick. People tend to either love him or hate him. I think he is funny in some commercials, but can certainly wear on you in a full length movie. He actually had one of his best performances as the villain in a suspense movie "One Hour Photo"; while over-rated in some comedies.

The first five on the list are considered handsome/attractive IMO. As for Dustin and Robin; call them middle of the road. There are worse looking people for sure.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

I should have also said I'll give you credit for thinking outside the box! Most people I know like all or almost all these actors.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:44 AM

Adam Sandler
Jack Black
Lindsay Lohan
Sarah Jessica Parker
Sean Penn (for last 12 years or so; seemed better before that; maybe time to retire)
Seth Rogan

Old 02-26-2014, 01:40 AM

23,269 posts, read 29,122,945 times
When it comes to comedy, I want it pitch-black, like a star-less, moon-less night! I should have added Woody Allen to the list! Just the sight of him makes me squirm in my lazy-boy rocker! Sitting thru 2 hours of him? And ugly to boot!!!

Old 02-26-2014, 03:40 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,997,994 times
George Clooney is so 90s.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:46 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,785,770 times
98% of Hollywood actors/actresses, honestly....

My list is infinite so I won't bother.

I no longer watch the Golden Globes or Oscars b/c I feel as though it's the same recycled, overrated celebrities from the previous year(s). There's nothing new. There's nothing fresh: Same actors/actresses, same roles, same historic portrayals, and just same of the same.

I now stick to mostly independent and or foreign flicks...

Old 02-26-2014, 12:51 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,938,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Let's hear who you don't like and why.

I'll start.

I don't like Tom Cruise. I think he's overrated, can't act but the same character type over and over and it's a dull one at that, and I'm never going to watch anything he's in again, if I can help it.
Great starter!
Tom Cruise - Agree with everything you said and I haven't watched him in years.
Mel Gibson - Same as above. His good acting days are long gone.
Matthew McConaughey - I seriously have never understood why so many women find this man attractive. Even before he lost an unhealthy amount of weight for a movie I just didn't get the appeal. His acting, IMO, is just so-so.

Holly Hunter - Yuck! I recently put up with her in something since her part was small.
Helen Hunt - Just think she takes too many whiney roles and she is only so-so, if that.
Mia Farrow - How she ever got her second (and so on) acting job I don't know. She's gross.
Uma Thurman - I put her in the overrated category. The ONLY part I think she played well was as an assassin in the two Kill Bill movies and I give most of the credit to Quentin Tarantino for his superb direction and writing.

There, that was fun!

Last edited by geebabe; 02-26-2014 at 12:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts