Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2019, 02:54 PM

1,161 posts, read 435,702 times

Advertisements

My favorite form of entertainment to spend money on is stand up comedy.

I love going to a theater and seeing a well known comic do an hour+ long set of stuff that they haven't released on a special yet. And I also love going to the local comedy clubs and seeing comics who aren't quite "theater-ready" yet.
I'll even go to the occasional open mic because the local talent pool seems pretty deep, and even when there is a total dud on stage, they are only up there for 3-5 minutes.

I really enjoy the art because there really doesn't seem to be any rules to it.
There may be some shows that promote a clean show, or show without certain matters discussed. But usually when you are at the comedy clubs, the shows are not seemingly governed by the "Political Correctness" of the left, or the "Religious Values" of the right. It's a pure form of art where the idea, USUALLY, is to just entertain the audience and make them laugh.

Where my live comedy fans at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2019, 03:08 PM

6,473 posts, read 6,684,366 times
I love it too, but I don't have the opportunity to see live shows where I'm currently living. It's never as fun (or funny) watching on TV compared to seeing comedy live.

A couple of my current faves are Gary Gulman and John Mulaney, also well-established Jerry Seinfeld and Steven Wright.

Old 12-26-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I love it too, but I don't have the opportunity to see live shows where I'm currently living. It's never as fun (or funny) watching on TV compared to seeing comedy live.

A couple of my current faves are Gary Gulman and John Mulaney, also well-established Jerry Seinfeld and Steven Wright.

I've been lucky enough to see Gulman live 4 times, and am going to see him again in February. The first two shows were a mixed bag of some older stuff mixed in with some new.
The 3rd one was basically "The Great Depresh" before he'd edited out a lot of it. Then the 4th time was pretty much the Great Depresh special.
All great stuff. Looking forward to February because he's supposed to have all new material.

Mulaney is INCREDIBLE, but I haven't seen him live.

Old 12-27-2019, 09:09 AM

6,473 posts, read 6,684,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce1 View Post
I've been lucky enough to see Gulman live 4 times, and am going to see him again in February. The first two shows were a mixed bag of some older stuff mixed in with some new.
The 3rd one was basically "The Great Depresh" before he'd edited out a lot of it. Then the 4th time was pretty much the Great Depresh special.
All great stuff. Looking forward to February because he's supposed to have all new material.

Mulaney is INCREDIBLE, but I haven't seen him live.
Interesting! I've seen "Gar" 4 or 5 times myself. The last time was about 3-4 years ago, and I noticed he seemed a bit "off," like he just wasn't having fun that night or even cared that much. He definitely wasn't himself. Then a year or two later I heard his podcast about his depression, and my heart ached for him. Of course in the last several months many articles have been written about his opening up about his depression and "The Great Depresh." I just love his talent and his style so much, and having struggled with depression myself in the past, I love him even more for his honesty and getting through his struggle alive. He was truly suffering.

Well, this isn't the direction you intended your thread to go, but an important part of my favorite comedian's story.

Do you remember Gary's bit about how embarrassing it was as a kid that his dad was so old? Pure gold!
https://youtu.be/JJ-OBPVYD4g

And what some consider his finest, the postal abbreviations!
https://youtu.be/dLECCmKnrys

Old 12-27-2019, 11:20 AM

Perhaps not the direction, but welcomed nonetheless!

I do think that State Abbreviations is the "Who's on First" of this generation

I had the chance to talk to The Incredible Gulk (LOL) after a show once and I thanked him for talking so much about depression. I have been dealing with it for years, but my Grandmother was extremely affected by it, even to the point of receiving the ECT treatments that he talked about in the Great Depresh.

Steering it slightly back to live comedy, the last time I saw him perform at a club after doing over an hour of stand up, he asked everyone to shout out their favorite bit. The first one he heard was "Trader Joe's" and so he launched in to that whole routine and closed the show out strong!

Old 12-29-2019, 07:29 PM

19,432 posts, read 15,259,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce1 View Post
Perhaps not the direction, but welcomed nonetheless!

I do think that State Abbreviations is the "Who's on First" of this generation

I had the chance to talk to The Incredible Gulk (LOL) after a show once and I thanked him for talking so much about depression. I have been dealing with it for years, but my Grandmother was extremely affected by it, even to the point of receiving the ECT treatments that he talked about in the Great Depresh.

Steering it slightly back to live comedy, the last time I saw him perform at a club after doing over an hour of stand up, he asked everyone to shout out their favorite bit. The first one he heard was "Trader Joe's" and so he launched in to that whole routine and closed the show out strong!
We've seen Brian Regan (twice ) and he did the same thing. He was trying not to laugh because he's doing this bit like we've all never heard it before.

Whenever we go to comedy clubs in general, I'm always amazed at how consistently funny even the unknowns are.

We never really watch reality shows, but we did watch Last Comic Standing years ago. So many good ones came out of that, including Gary Gulman.

Old 12-30-2019, 08:11 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,262,804 times
I rather see live comedy over any other form of entertainment. The only real reason I keep certain streaming apps is to watch Raw or Tambourine etc. The best part about Richmond VA is the Funnybone IMO.

Old 01-02-2020, 03:44 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,241,153 times
I like bill burr my son showed me a few clips on youtube….
he makes fun of the pc stupidities of today and loves women

Old 01-02-2020, 06:32 AM

1,350 posts, read 820,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
I rather see live comedy over any other form of entertainment. The only real reason I keep certain streaming apps is to watch Raw or Tambourine etc. The best part about Richmond VA is the Funnybone IMO.
Is Tambourine good? I'm thinking of getting Netflix just so I can see it! Love Chris Rock, he's my favorite.

As far as famous comedians, saw Jerry Seinfeld, three times, same show, but I went with different people, as his TV show was just starting. Was hilarious. Could have seen him over and over, back then. Think it was 1990.

Old 01-02-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil_fields View Post
As far as famous comedians, saw Jerry Seinfeld, three times, same show, but I went with different people, as his TV show was just starting. Was hilarious. Could have seen him over and over, back then. Think it was 1990.

That's one of the interesting "phenomenons" (for lack of a better word) about stand up. You have people like Seinfeld, who believe that comics are like musical acts. People want to come and see a well-polished act that the performer has done over and over and over again, and even if they hear the same jokes, it's still funny to them for the same reason that people will watch comedy movies over and over and still laugh at the same parts.

However, other comics take the "George Carlin approach" Carlin used to write a new hour every year. Louis CK really brought that to light when he started doing the same thing and now that seems way more commonplace with comics working their material out for months in smaller clubs, then going on a tour with it in bigger theaters, then putting out a special and then starting the whole process all over again.

Hearing people like Tom Segura and Bert Kreischer talking about how by the time they shoot their special it's a mixture of relief, because they are tired of doing the same material, Sadness, because they are never going to tell these jokes that they've worked so hard on again, and excitement, because they get to start working on new material, really adds to my appreciation for that art form.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts