Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 04:21 PM

1,350 posts, read 818,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce1 View Post
That's one of the interesting "phenomenons" (for lack of a better word) about stand up. You have people like Seinfeld, who believe that comics are like musical acts. People want to come and see a well-polished act that the performer has done over and over and over again, and even if they hear the same jokes, it's still funny to them for the same reason that people will watch comedy movies over and over and still laugh at the same parts.

However, other comics take the "George Carlin approach" Carlin used to write a new hour every year. Louis CK really brought that to light when he started doing the same thing and now that seems way more commonplace with comics working their material out for months in smaller clubs, then going on a tour with it in bigger theaters, then putting out a special and then starting the whole process all over again.

Hearing people like Tom Segura and Bert Kreischer talking about how by the time they shoot their special it's a mixture of relief, because they are tired of doing the same material, Sadness, because they are never going to tell these jokes that they've worked so hard on again, and excitement, because they get to start working on new material, really adds to my appreciation for that art form.
Who are some of your favorite stand up comedians?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2020, 04:27 PM

1,161 posts, read 434,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil_fields View Post
Who are some of your favorite stand up comedians?
All time, I'm a huge fan of Garry Shandling and Andy Kaufman.

Of current comics, I like Gulman, Tom Segura, Preacher Lawson, Michelle Wolfe, Roy Wood Jr, Tony Hinchliffe, Dave chappelle.....man, I could keep going, lol.

How about you?

Old 01-03-2020, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce1 View Post
All time, I'm a huge fan of Garry Shandling and Andy Kaufman.

Of current comics, I like Gulman, Tom Segura, Preacher Lawson, Michelle Wolfe, Roy Wood Jr, Tony Hinchliffe, Dave chappelle.....man, I could keep going, lol.

How about you?
Those sound great. Honestly, I haven't been keeping up with the new comics. As I said, Chris Rock has been my favorite for the last 20 years. Liked Seinfeld before that, but not since 20 years or so. I need to check out some other ones, I can look on YouTube. See some on TV here and there, I watch a show on TruTv called Laff Mob's Comedy Tracks. It's funny and it shows comedians I have never heard of.

Old 01-03-2020, 04:21 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,260,171 times
Quote:
Those sound great. Honestly, I haven't been keeping up with the new comics. As I said, Chris Rock has been my favorite for the last 20 years. Liked Seinfeld before that, but not since 20 years or so. I need to check out some other ones, I can look on YouTube. See some on TV here and there, I watch a show on TruTv called Laff Mob's Comedy Tracks. It's funny and it shows comedians I have never heard of.
Christ Rock grew up for Tambourine. Its nothing like Bigger and Blacker but still really funny.

Old 01-03-2020, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
Christ Rock grew up for Tambourine. Its nothing like Bigger and Blacker but still really funny.
How is it different? I would think maybe talking about his divorce, kids? I know nothing about Tambourine, can't find it on YouTube, and was thinking of signing up for Netflix just so I could watch it! Is it worth it, compared to his old stuff?

Old 01-03-2020, 07:14 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,555,149 times
Quote:
Kevin Hart has several on Netflix. He's hilarious.

Old 01-04-2020, 09:12 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,935,039 times
I've had LaughUSA on XM radio in my car for over a year, and it's changed my life. Now, when I arrive at my destination I'm laughing. ;D

And like a poster before, I think comedy routines are like songs. I can listen to the good ones over and over. Ellen DeGeneres is one of the ones I can almost do her whole script when I hear the bit start, so funny. Brian Regan, Dimitri Martin, Jeff Foxworthy, Ron White, Jeanne Robertson, Kathleen Madigan, John Pinette. Hilarious.

Old 01-04-2020, 03:56 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,260,171 times
Quote:
How is it different? I would think maybe talking about his divorce, kids? I know nothing about Tambourine, can't find it on YouTube, and was thinking of signing up for Netflix just so I could watch it! Is it worth it, compared to his old stuff?
Yes. Tambourine is about family and a bit tame. I don't know if I would get Netflix JUST for Tambourine but there are so many other movies and specials it's worth it to me. I think you can do a free trail.

Old 01-08-2020, 05:31 PM

20,366 posts, read 14,644,040 times
I love John Mulaney, and I've been rummaging for British standup, as British comedy has always really been a favorite. I love James Veitch, and Joe Lycett, and I'm enjoying a lot of Eddie Izzard lately. God he is a comedic genius. He did this whole bit, had to be like at least 5-10 minutes, in FRENCH, and my fiance and I, neither of us even speaks French, but the way he did it, we understood quite well and laughed until it hurt.

I have noted that he's reminiscent of Monty Python in his mannerisms and delivery and I recently read that he does in fact consider them to be his biggest influence and John Cleese has referred to him as "The Lost Python." Awww...

Old 01-08-2020, 09:38 PM

19,503 posts, read 9,530,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I've had LaughUSA on XM radio in my car for over a year, and it's changed my life. Now, when I arrive at my destination I'm laughing. ;D

And like a poster before, I think comedy routines are like songs. I can listen to the good ones over and over. Ellen DeGeneres is one of the ones I can almost do her whole script when I hear the bit start, so funny. Brian Regan, Dimitri Martin, Jeff Foxworthy, Ron White, Jeanne Robertson, Kathleen Madigan, John Pinette. Hilarious.
I so much miss John Pinette. He cracked us up. All the joking about buffets and waiting in line. Anytime someone waits too long trying to figure out what they want to eat, hubby chuckles and goes, (best Pinette voice), "Get outta the line."

We're also big fans of Ron White, Bill Engvall "here's your sign.", Regan, et al. Thinking of going to an upcoming Engvall show if ticket prices for two of us in the reasonable range and not have to work that day.i like the times when he brings up the differences between how he thinks and how his wife thinks. Same with Ron White. I gather there's a little truth to the stories but with an exageration. Oh gotta add the big fluffy guy, Mr. Iglesias to the list of faves too.

You know you just might get me to bring out one of these comedian DVDs to watch tomorrow

I do like the XM comedy channel but all those commercials - not so much. So whenever those pop up, usually switch back to the music channel/s.

Last edited by cat1116; 01-08-2020 at 09:43 PM.. Reason: XM Radio part
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts