Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 08:35 PM

7,772 posts, read 6,379,741 times

Advertisements

We get a sunday paper only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 04:59 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,222,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
I used to read the newspaper front to back. Would look up the movie ads and use the tv guide info in it. Would read the want ads and funnies. Now, we just get one newspaper a week, on Sunday, and we hardly ever read it. The movies are no longer published in the paper and they also dropped the tv guide info. The paper has shrunk way down and the font is much smaller. Somehow it has become uninteresting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I do know they have gotten thinner, more expensive, and have very little content these days.
^^^True.
I enjoyed reading the newspaper every day but that was a few years ago when the our paper
had investigative reporting and important news stories (nationally or locally) that
were written with in-depth diligence.
Now we call it the rag - there's very little information in it (even the Sunday paper) and
seems like proof readers are a thing of the past.

Old 01-07-2016, 05:43 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,357,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a l'ouest View Post
Nope, I get all of my news online.
same here. The trees thank me

Old 01-08-2016, 09:48 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,615,477 times
You know at this point I have always read newspapers and still enjoy reading the 'news' but more importantly the analysis and opinion of readers as well as the editorials by those who run the newspaper. Unfortunately though the number of newspapers in the US has been receding for a number of years. Advertisers are not subsidizing them since more and more people prefer to get their news either through tv or the Internet. And that makes papers more expensive and lose readers.

Always wonder how this change of powerful mediums namely tv and the Internet will change our societies politically and culturally. The rise of social media is incredible in the sense that it is probably one of the greatest public opinion shapers ever. Newspapers well they're in the mix but really are nowhere near the effect that social media has on opinion. On being asked where do you get your news , TV and the Net will be up there but figure on your friends on Facebook or Twitter will be answers more and more if not going on right now.

And who has time to 'read?'...;-)...Now it's like the affectation of a society where everybody lived in a sort of 'Norman Rockwell' existence where people apparently had time to do anything and everything. And time and newspapers weren't relatively expensive! And where docs would come to your house at 8pm to fix your cold...;-)

Old 01-08-2016, 03:29 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,643,384 times
I still read the daily newspaper and always will, unless it becomes utterly useless to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts