Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 08:35 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,621,789 times

Advertisements

I am watching less TV because of a lack in tasteful programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 08:59 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,541,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGravitas View Post
I love YouTube!!!!
What about you? Do you find that the Internet, namely YouTube, has made you watch less television?
In 1986-87 the top 20 shows on broadcast average 19.4 million viewers, and last year they averaged 14.9 million. What is particularly disturbing to advertisers is that viewers under the age of 50 have mostly migrated to youtube and watching Netflix, shows on websites, or just getting news and weather from websites.

CBS Sunday Movie or NBC Monday Movie would be hopeless today, since people have so much access to movies.

The 30 minute comedy was a staple of TV. When Jonny Galecki got the full time role in Roseanne a total of 13 of the top 20 shows were comedies. Now only The Big Bang Theory, Modern Family, and Two and Half Men are in the top 20. All those shows are dissected and shown in 5 minute segments on Youtube.

Since Friends went off the air on NBC in 2004 they have managed to keep 5 comedy shows on the air until they had over 96 episodes
1) My Name Is Earl*
2) The Office
3) 30 Rock*
4) Parks and Recreation
5) Community
None of those comedies had broad appeal, but all had a devoted core group of followers.

In the last 4 years, NBC has bombed out with 20 straight sitcoms as it looks like none of the new ones will get renewed. After so many bombs in a row, they should simply give up on developing comedy (like their sister network USA on cable or CW). At least with drama they can keep them on the air, and they have a genuine hit with "The Blacklist". Just leave comedy to ABC and CBS.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:37 PM

5 posts, read 5,444 times
I think Youtube is more fun than TV. But TV covers a wider section definitely.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:00 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,647,905 times
Default yes

tv just gets worst and worst even public tv is not worth watching much, and those endless begathons.cable was suppose to be the savior because they didnt depend upon commercials they would concentrate on quality tv but that didnt last long,I hate cable tv more and more every day.its endless commercials,phone reality shows,a few comedies the endless rerun, just think of all the thousands of movies out, instead they show the same few over and over again. so yes youtube is the best I can see old documentaries great how to programs,great movies and so on.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:18 PM

30,254 posts, read 23,725,162 times
hifijohn, I have asked that many times....if we are paying for it, why are we bombarded by so many commercials? The point was that if we paid, we wouldn't have to endure them. So much for that.

A typical 30 minute show is now almost 10 minutes of commercial, 20 minutes of show. It used to be more show and less commercial, but it's like every minute, off to another commercial, so annoying.

I have not watched tv since August. I didn't make a concerted effort not to watch it, I just never switched the input back over to tv after watching movies from a box set. The only thing I liked tv for was ID channel, animal stuff, (which I can get from videos and it doesn't have a stupid laugh track), SOME sitcoms...sorry, Golden Girls cracks me up, and I love The Big Bang Theory, Sheldon just slays me. And then The Weather Channel. Movies...I can get those all over the internet, Hulu, YT, Amazon....I could re-up my Netflix, if I so desired...and I might. Soon as I bring the Wii upstairs so I can watch the stuff on the t.v. screen, not the laptop.

So, news I can get anywhere. Animals I can get from all kinds of video sources. I can buy GG, and TBBT, I can get my movie fix from Amazon, Netflix, some on YT, Hulu, and other video sites, or buy them if I really like them....and that leaves me with missing the ID channel, and The Weather Channel. TWC has some interesting shows, Storm Stories I like...but I do not like how they hype up every storm as if it was the one that was going to devastate the entire eastern seaboard. I'm not sure what to do about the ID Channel.

But, I have actually been considering canx my tv cable service. It's been almost 5 months since I have watched t.v. I want to give it a little more time to see if this is a passing phase for me, or if it's going to stick. If it is not a passing phase, then I cannot justify the expense just for ID channel and TWC. I will miss those two. Everything else, while I may like them, "I Survived" is neat, I'll get over it.

And those networks have only themselves to blame. Keep putting out a bunch of crap, people are going to leave.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:39 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,829,556 times
Talking *

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56
No, I'm watching T.V. less because it sucks!
Hehe just the type of reply I was gonna make!!!!!

Old 11-21-2013, 05:23 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,629,884 times
No!! Do not get the net at the house. Do not watch a lot of TV anyway (only about 2 hrs a day, usually local news and a PBS show.

Old 11-23-2013, 01:46 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,214,075 times
Who can get it to stream reliably?

Old 11-23-2013, 02:26 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,829,556 times
Well they use garbage to stream with and they are gonna get garbage results!!

If they used WMP (Even embedded WMP) it would stream 100% fine ON ANY OS!!

Old 11-24-2013, 08:36 PM

494 posts, read 1,609,707 times
I'm watching less TV because there is simply nothing on there nowadays that interests me to watch it more than I do. I don't even youtube a lot. Only thing I really watch on TV is news and my NFL team. That's about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts